spreading coal cinders

Those of you that burn coal what do you use to spread your cinders with. I have a push type spreader but the cheap plastic drive gears slip. So I use the spreader like a wheel barrow and spread by hand. I have been looking at the Salt Dogg spreaders that Northern Tool sells to mount on my Kubota RTV. Anyone ever try to spread cinders with them? Any recommendations?

I don't know, spread mine when they are hot if I need to put something down on ice, so its welder gloves and a metal bucket and just dump them.  If I don't need them I dump them into pot holes on the lane the back way into my house, I don't own it but have a right of way, but never drive anything on it but tractors between my parents place and mine, so I use the ashes to fill all the holes since nobody else takes care of it either.

I would guess a cheap 3pt spreader would have a large enough opening to spread them, and they are heavy duty enough to handle it.

I just dump all my ash over a bank out back, I have done some light spreading on the steep driveway hill in the winter but it gets mushy in the spring so I try to avoid it now

We heat at the barn with coal and use the skid loader to spread it with slightly shaking the bucket with it up so you can see what you are doing (wind direction is critical to determine what direction to spread it from......). If we run out of ash we use sand . I have used a side shooting bedding bucket on the skid loader but it takes longer to hook up. 

I would think a slinger in a utv or atv would work ok. Might have some that plugs up 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A spreader made for salt should spread it without any troubles.  We have people at work that add their coal ash to our anti skid pile all the time and they flow through the spreaders with anti skid and salt with no issues at all.

Township I grew up in used nothing but coal cinders on the roads in the winter. They got all they needed from the local state college which had a central heating plant which burned coal to heat many of the buildings on the campus. The township had big hopper spreaders that they mounted in the dump beds of the trucks. (All IH trucks) My mom hated when they would come down the street, we drug cinders in the house all winter until the spring rains cleaned the street.

We use the electric tailgate hopper spreaders (Meyers and Western) for salt at work. As long as there are not any big clinkers and you spread it empty so it doesn't pack up I think you would be alright with the Buyers model.

3 hours ago, CC_Ranger said:

We use the electric tailgate hopper spreaders (Meyers and Western) for salt at work. As long as there are not any big clinkers and you spread it empty so it doesn't pack up I think you would be alright with the Buyers model.

You guys have any issues with the electric spreaders?  We had an insert spreader for our old F350 pickup that had electric controls on it and it was nothing but a nightmare constantly.  New pickup (F350 cab chassis srw) we ordered with central hydraulic and a dump bed and built our own 2/3 size version of a flink under tailgate spreader same as we use on our big trucks and 550's.  No more problems with wiring now on the spreader.

What do cinders do for the soil PH? I know the wood ash we spread brings it up, which is fine in our somewhat acidic soil.

When I was a kid the ashes went out on the city streets in a steel barrel and the "ash men" picked them up. Even now whenever I smell a coal fire it flashes me back to the '50s.

Thanks for the responses guys, I have a long uphill drive so spreading cinders is a must. I was thinking being able to spread with my RTV while inside the cab would be nice. The spreader I have in mind is 7 to $800 so its a bit of an investment. Cinders are light and dry so you would think they would work ok.

56 minutes ago, 806Jordy said:

Thanks for the responses guys, I have a long uphill drive so spreading cinders is a must. I was thinking being able to spread with my RTV while inside the cab would be nice. The spreader I have in mind is 7 to $800 so its a bit of an investment. Cinders are light and dry so you would think they would work ok.

On a rtv it has a small hydraulic hookup where the dump hooks up. If you had the second optional hydraulic remote you could dump the bed up and the other remote control could run an auger and spinner just like most township trucks use ...

Could use a splitter valve to dump it up and have something like this work. If you can fabricate this would be an easy adaption