Youngest learning to drive

1 hour ago, db1486 said:

Oh yes I know all about that. I grew up on those machines and grew up watching dad fix the drive chains. Probably learned a new vocabulary those days too! Had a 15 foot for cutting hay, 77 I think it was, hardly ever broke a chain in it. The 20 foot we cut grain with, was one of the last built, 81 or 82, it was a common occuurance. You could run that thing so smooth and all of a sudden your spinning in circles lol. Definitely don't miss those days lol

The 77 had the slanted muffler so they had a belt between motor and chain jack shaft. The straight vertical mufflers had drive motor mounted to end of jack shaft giving no slack and you would tear the drive chains.

In the spring of 5th grade my dad's brother was getting real sick and could no longer farm with my dad. After school one day dad  said i need you to help me. As kids we had lawnmowers we got to drive around and such. But i had never driven our big 2+2 only rode in it with dad every chance i could get. So dad was running the planter and wanted me to run the 22' 490 disc and the drag behind it. He told me what to do and i went over got in it and took off. I remember it very well. That year i was in that tractor every chance i had. Looking back i probably was helping dad out more then i ever knew. I think that year was the last year we rented land and then started the switch to organic. That spring dad even had me going down the road with the disc and drag cart, but i could only go in 2nd high. He must have had a little confidence in me or just needed any help he could get.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, dale560 said:

You don’t want to be rough with a newer 400 . Start jerking them and you get to fix a drive chain.

I had to fix ours a couple times too. The other weak spot was the swivel joints on the hydro leavers. After some wear the joints would all of a sudden pop out and if you weren’t quick reacting you were going around in circles quick lol. Had it happen to dad on the road coming home once, that wasn’t fun lol. 

Just now, poor farmer/logger said:

I had to fix ours a couple times too. The other weak spot was the swivel joints on the hydro leavers. After some wear the joints would all of a sudden pop out and if you weren’t quick reacting you were going around in circles quick lol. Had it happen to dad on the road coming home once, that wasn’t fun lol. 

Three times in the field and twice on the road those swivels came apart on me. You start going in circles fast.