Work from home office.....

Mr. Plow

When you are going on a year of work from home....(in basement toy room office) a new Lee Klancher calendar is in order!20210109_154805.thumb.jpg.40fc18c6a54ffdb1251f014191eeee80.jpg

10 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

When you are going on a year of work from home....(in basement toy room office) a new Lee Klancher calendar is in order!20210109_154805.thumb.jpg.40fc18c6a54ffdb1251f014191eeee80.jpg

Nice Tractor collection!!

I work from home some days. I like staring out the window and watching the birds. I sit on the couch and watch the stove and birds most the time.  

I have an office in the basement but like the upstairs couch for whatever reason. Mainly because it hurts my neck to sit at a desk. If I sit at a desk for more than a day I will start getting a pinched nerve, neck shoulder get bad, then arm/hand ache and fingers go numb. Its frustrating. I have 3 herniated disks that at some point will have to have surgery on. I am prolonging it hoping I die first or the rapture comes. 

I work in IT and have for close to 30 yrs I will never understand the reason/need for people to have umpteen monitors - two different systems like a citrix machine and windows machine and mac yes I get that.

I live on a single laptop/screen and have for decades, work remote from my vehicle, work from my living room, work in an office, work from restaurants, work from parking lots, work sitting on a step ladder in data centers and lan closets, basically from everywhere and have to run a lot of junk to do my work.

I have to remote  in/out of customers systems far/wide and the worst thing is using a remote utility and trying to help them and drive on their systems with remote utilities. When you launch something it doesnt show up on your screen because its on one of their other 3 to 4 screens they have hooked up, its definitely a PEEVE. Having more monitors doesnt make you smarter LOL or any more important nor any faster. You cant work on more than one screen at a time. kind of like the term multitasking, there is NO such thing, you can switch tasks but you cannot do more than one thing at a time, and NO i do not have more than one screen on my desktop computer that I use. 

I support a NOC - Network Operations Center from time to time and they have 8 displays from one desktop PC they sit and watch - they are monitoring servers so that is different, they are watching for something to go wrong and want to stop it before it goes down hopefully. Outside of that it seems odd to me. 

I digress.........off soapbox 

I work as an engineering supervisor.   Running email full time on the lap top screen (about 100 emails a day) then managing ACAD drawings , maps, sketches, etc. On one monitor.  Other monitor is for MS Teams video meetings.  

In the engineering world having big monitors to look at multiple prints at once is a big deal......don't know how i did it before dual large format screens.

Its like having the parts book open to one page, while scrolling through CIH on line parts on the computer....toggling just doesn't work when you need to see both.......then add in the "no paper" remote work and virtual meetings.......?

2 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

I work as an engineering supervisor.   Running email full time on the lap top screen (about 100 emails a day) then managing ACAD drawings , maps, sketches, etc. On one monitor.  Other monitor is for MS Teams video meetings.  

In the engineering world having big monitors to look at multiple prints at once is a big deal......don't know how i did it before dual large format screens.

Its like having the parts book open to one page, while scrolling through CIH on line parts on the computer....toggling just doesn't work when you need to see both.......then add in the "no paper" remote work and virtual meetings.......?

Oh ive heard it all lol 21 inch monitor too small need touch screen need dual 27inch screens minimum need two mounted verticle two horizontal blah blah people get crazy - has to be an i7 has to be quad core has to be SSD yada yada windows no good gotta hv a mac - this is at home - u can see why i prefer the stove/outside view

20210109_185007.jpg

20201224_075639_HDR.jpg

LOL, my wife has her office at work that looks like the big board at Nasa's Mission Control in Houston!  Has a screen for everything................I tell her that is why she knocks down what she does every week and she is my sugar momma...............I can't run one screen, let alone 6.

while its been a means of existence, brought me a life of blessing, if I could survive on my own I would give it up in a heart beat to be on the farm as i enjoy it far more than trying to deal with technology every day, its overwhelming and frustrating due to the continual changes and rework of things that work great but some muckety muck that has no clue how things work has some salesman come to his office show him some whiz bang thing on an ipad and next thing you knwo we are having to redo half the company and then a yr or two later going full circle back the other way. It will never end...........overwhelmed with opportunity. 

I long for the day i am sitting in a tractor, going in circles in a field, working for a person that needs the help - i always wanted to be in excavating too, i never get bored working with dirt - i know some people think im crazy...........

As I have moved up in management, it has meant more time behind the screen. I am so looking forward to retirement when I can be outside every day working in the yard, tinkering with tractors and vehicles, or better yet out on the Harley!

I deal with a lot of spreadsheets, so I appreciate the dual monitor set up, being able to compare or updated different files. I usually minimize my e-mail when working on other stuff. I can deal with the single laptop screen when traveling or the occasional work at home day, but if I worked at home regularly I would have to set up my dual monitors.

Nice tractor collection Steve!

This past spring my wife and I were fighting on who got to work from the back porch!

Archived