345ci

JEOSBOLT

I'd also like to point out that ether was one of the first anesthesias used.  They used to soak a rag with ether and hold it over a patients face to knock them unconscious for surgery.  You do know that, right?  You're also risking conciseness by discharging massive amounts of it.  (Not that modern starting fluid is pure ether, but still.) 

@J-Mech when I use starting fluid on something when I’m in the shop I’m either by the door, and I don’t allow anyone to smoke within 100 feet of it no matter what. Usually no one is in it other than me. I have a friend that helps part time on big jobs and  he knows how dangerous the stuff we use is, as do I. I’ve had an incident with a flammable liquid when I was about 10, Quickly learned my lesson. Just singed some hair.

as for brake clean I’ve been told it emits phosgene gas if it gets to a certain temperature.

3 minutes ago, JEOSBOLT said:

@J-Mech when I use starting fluid on something when I’m in the shop I’m either by the door, and I don’t allow anyone to smoke within 100 feet of it no matter what. Usually no one is in it other than me. I have a friend that helps part time on big jobs and  he knows how dangerous the stuff we use is, as do I. I’ve had an incident with a flammable liquid when I was about 10, Quickly learned my lesson. Just singed some hair.

as for brake clean I’ve been told it emits phosgene gas if it gets to a certain temperature.

Obviously you missed a "lesson" somewhere on safety.  I don't give two bits if you only do it standing outside.  It is not safe.  

I can't believe I'm actually having a debate about this.  It's giving me a headache. 

Yes, brake cleaner can make phogene gas if you burn it.  Don't light it on fire.  Some brands contain more of the chemical compound that causes phosgene gas when burned.  Avoid them.  Personally, I use either O'Reilly brand brake cleaner, or I buy bulk.  Not sure what it is, I get it from a supplier of mine and I honestly never looked.  Way cheaper in bulk.  Either way, brake cleaner is far safer to use than starting fluid.  I can't believe I need to explain that and why. 

11 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

Ain't chlorinated brake cleaner a better parts cleaner than non-chlorinated brake cleaner?

I have found that to be true. 

Did I mention it's also safer than ether? 

@J-Mech a lot of the work done on equipment is not safe all together.. but I’ll give the brake cleaner a try, the supplier where I get my oils and fluids has it in 5 gallon buckets and I think i have a refillable compressed air spray can somewhere. I’ve used it quite a bit before but for some reason my brain is goes for starting fluid, I guess the fumes have gotten to me

30 minutes ago, JEOSBOLT said:

a lot of the work done on equipment is not safe all together

So is crossing the street if you don't look both ways first.  It is as safe as you make it.  You are not being safe using starting fluid.  

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 7:26 PM, JEOSBOLT said:

@J-Mech about the 345, so there is a slim chance a Napa or oreilleys will have stuff like the brake lines, carburetor rebuild kit, points rotor and distributor cap?

Napa or A old established parts store should be able to keep you in parts. You might have to find a older parts person to help you.  The brake lines will have to be hand made. I have done lots of truck replacing all lines and wheel cyl kits. Looks like you know your way around a repair job. Never mind J yakker on here. He just gets very Upset if anybody can do something he can’t. We used to dabble a bit in construction repair but it is big , heavy work. Good luck with the truck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@hardtail I own the trailer and truck, I went and retrieved my loader today. Put a new 4d caterpillar battery in it and 10gal of fuel and she busted right off. As soon as I got it on the trailer I went to close the 4in1 bucket it blew a hose. Didn’t find the time to get the dump truck.. as it does not run, I will have to get the property owner to use his tractor to pull or push it on the trailer. The entrance to the property is on a STEEP incline and my truck won’t back up it very far without spinning leaving me taking a chance of the truck dragging his small jd tractor on the trailer as well

• 2 weeks later...

Napa has all the fuel and ignition parts for a 345. They have most of the hydraulic brake parts as well. However it probably is not in the computer so you need to find a store with old parts books and someone who can use them... Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

I have found some parts at the Navistar dealership. We rebuilt the 392 in a loadstar about 8 years back. I found a few things there I couldn't find at auto parts store, motor mounts, correct radiator hoses and I think a few other parts. I have found correct brake hoses and booster there too. 

• Like 1

345 is the least of your worries.  If that old Loadstar has been sitting that long plan on having little to no brakes.  Hydraulic brakes and vacuum boosters on trucks that sit = not good.

Once you get it running be VERY careful about driving it until you are 100% sure you have good and safe brakes.

I haul grain every fall with a 1979 S1700 with a 345 and a 4+2 trans.  Just had some pretty extensive brake work (all new wheel cylinders, master cylinder, hydrovac).  Truck is a good performer, lugs well under load, and the 345 does fine (for a V8 gas motor) hauling 30,000# gross loads.  It drinks fuel (we joke it gets 4 gallons to the mile) and with the low end torque cam redlines about 4000 rpm....but between 2200 and 3200 she pulls strong.

Good luck with it!

• Like 1