Ford 8730 - Opinions, thoughts, experiences?

Morning.

In my search for another tractor on my in-laws farm, I have run across a Ford 8730 powershift.  It is probably 30 to 50 hp bigger than what we would ever need, but it is relatively close and in the price range.  It's not a beauty queen, but the cab is clean and in reasonable shape. Approximately 6000 hours.  I also like the woods 355 loader on it, more than enough lift capacity for what I need.

Anyone have any experience with these tractors for the good, bad or otherwise?  I haven't been out to see it yet in person, but might go this weekend.

I haven't seen much online on them, which usually means they are generally ok, there weren't many made, or they have all been scrapped already.

What are the weak points of these machines?  Any issues with the powershift (its the 18 speed funk ultra command)?

For what I'm doing I'd probably almost prefer a dual power transmission, but if that isn't an issue, the power shift is a nice feature.

Thanks!

They do have a nice powershift. I looked at several a few years back and was told the 401 is a sleeveless engine and likes to leak coolant l because of weak blocks. They can be sleeved. 

Our dealership sold a few of them. Great powershift and reliable. Same as the later Genesis tractors. But can be expensive when it needs rebuilding if hard parts are damaged. The White 6175/6195 also used them. We had one guy forget to tighten the trans filter on his 6195 after changing the trans oil. Ended up buying a rebuilt from Palmer-Johnson. The 401 was a powerful little brute for its size. Buy like Farmer said electrolysis could cause pin holes in the cylinder bore. We sleeved a 9700 that was taking two gallons of coolant a day. But that's with anything. Most engine failures in Ag/Auto are old coolant related. 

The power steering is its own pump and is not like steering a 4020. Also check the oil level plug on the injection pump. They used a Simms/CAV that had its own reservoir. That was supposed to be changed/checked regularly. Guys would run them out of oil and seize them up. 

We had a field demo day when they came out. We were also a White/CIH dealership. Had an 8830 Ford, 7140 Magnum and a 185 or 195 Workhorse White. I can say it was a pleasure to drive one. Just a joystick to shift gears. Two doors. Watch out though for airplanes in trouble. They will be eyeing your hood for a safe landing. 

32 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

Just sold one with a loader and fresh motor 30000B08C9CBE-4EA3-4B5F-BC7A-30BC01D81CC3.thumb.jpeg.f75ff6dde488179c900b29fb3369591e.jpeg

Yours?  Or something you bought to flip?  
General impressions on the machine?  

How would it compare to say a 5088 fwa?

Bought to flip gave 4 for tractor guy scored 5 out of six pistons had power beyond on it had to put new joystick and valve in it had a gb 760 loader on it.  Really liked the cab was really quit nice to drive turned good  trans was great but took lots of power    In normal loader work like loading poo I’d take 5088 low to reverse is fast and easy and 5088 would out run it lower wise but that ford would be a good spot to be to and the 8730 is 10 years newer to

I like the look of them but my brother in law has a similar model and he says it’s hard to get parts for it. Bought a new kabota to hay with and parked the Ford. 

A friend has all new Holland-Ford. 
He has run 8730 for a few years. Put a few thousand hours on it and worked it pretty hard. Been trouble free. Just routine servicing. Injection pump should have an oil feed to it. Some parts can be a bit pricey. Overall he’s pretty happy with all of his tractors. 
only problems he’s had were with a tw20. Dual power clutches and pto clutches. 

I have seen these tractors abused beyond belief and keep on going.  The Funk Powershift is nothing to be afraid of. The same transmission is used in the John Deere 8000 series and some “other” color too....

I would take a peek at the Oil in the injection pump as mentioned above and get some cooling test strips to dip into the coolant to find out what shape that is in.

After that it is just nuts, bolts, tires, wear and tear like any other tractor.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

I have seen these tractors abused beyond belief and keep on going.  The Funk Powershift is nothing to be afraid of. The same transmission is used in the John Deere 8000 series and some “other” color too....

I would take a peek at the Oil in the injection pump as mentioned above and get some cooling test strips to dip into the coolant to find out what shape that is in.

After that it is just nuts, bolts, tires, wear and tear like any other tractor.

These the fuel pump is feed from engine oil 

44 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

These the fuel pump is feed from engine oil 

Sorry. You are correct. That was changed already on the TW series. The older 8700/9700 still had there own reservoir. 

10 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

Bought to flip gave 4 for tractor guy scored 5 out of six pistons had power beyond on it had to put new joystick and valve in it had a gb 760 loader on it.  Really liked the cab was really quit nice to drive turned good  trans was great but took lots of power    In normal loader work like loading poo I’d take 5088 low to reverse is fast and easy and 5088 would out run it lower wise but that ford would be a good spot to be to and the 8730 is 10 years newer to

Thanks.  That is the type of feedback I wanted.  It's WAY bigger powerwise than what we need, but sometimes the bigger implements are cheaper than the implements for say a 60-70 HP tractor.  My biggest concern is if it is just physically too big and if it would be cumbersome to use.  I'll have to go drive it myself to get a good feel for it.

For loader work, we aren't too worried about high production and if needed I have a skidsteer to handle that work.  This would mostly be used to feed hay in the pasture and plow snow at the in-laws farm.  There current tractor is a little light for this work.

Well - I was headed to go test drive tomorrow but it sold today.  Oh well, it was likely too big anyway.

anyone on here spend some money today?

20 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Having never been around one or seen one, why did they have such a long hood?  Did they have the fuel tank up there like JD?

Yes.  And a BIG fuel tank too--plus a secondary tank under the drivers side steps.  Not a fun machine to fuel with a hand pump.