NON-Correct way to paint rims

Gonna paint a couple daily use tractors .Farmall M ,H etc. I am NOT taking the rear rims off the cast center, Not a restoration quality job. Just paint job. Anyone have any tricks to taping,card boarding , plastic etc ??? To make it easier to paint both the rim and cast colors. I have brushed the rims before with good results. Pictures comments wanted. Correct poilce can move on..

thanks fellas

if you have an air wrench gun you can take the wheels off in 15 mins. or paint everything red.

If you try to paint silver and red you will have a mess with the over spray.  

Jack the tractor up.   Keep turning the wheel so you are painting on the bottom.   A little patience with a brush and you won't need to worry about any taping, etc.

• Like 7
18 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Jack the tractor up.   Keep turning the wheel so you are painting on the bottom.   A little patience with a brush and you won't need to worry about any taping, etc.

X2

• Thanks 1

Jack the tractor up and run it in first gear at idle and use a rattle can. Used to paint semi wheels that way. Tape the tire and when finished with the red center and silver rim, hand paint the wedges. Have someone on the seat, for starting and stopping. Block the front wheels too. 

• Like 2

I sprayed the red with no regard for paint getting on the rims or the tires. Then I came back with a foam brush and a can of rustoleum aluminum and painted the rims. I am a spazz, so I ended up getting a little silver paint on the cast hubs here and there, but at 20' you can't tell unless you are specifically looking for it.

I tried to touch up the red but then ended up getting red on the rims, which I then tried to touch up with the silver, and got silver on the hubs again! So I said "GOOD ENUF!" I'm sure if I kept trying I would have gotten so frustrated that I would have just pulled the tractor outside and lit it on fire...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have used both methods.   Have decided it is easier to remove rims, paint and reassemble.   The touch up is easier in my opinion than trying to mask and paint.  Most of the rims I paint these days are receiving different tires anyway, so I like paint the rims before the tires are mounted.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I sprayed the red with no regard for paint getting on the rims or the tires. Then I came back with a foam brush and a can of rustoleum aluminum and painted the rims. I am a spazz, so I ended up getting a little silver paint on the cast hubs here and there, but at 20' you can't tell unless you are specifically looking for it.

I tried to touch up the red but then ended up getting red on the rims, which I then tried to touch up with the silver, and got silver on the hubs again! So I said "GOOD ENUF!" I'm sure if I kept trying I would have gotten so frustrated that I would have just pulled the tractor outside and lit it on fire...

Sounds like me...lol

Thanks guys,I've seen the brush way done ,just couldn't completely recall it from 25 years ago.  In NY state, home of junk salt, cow poop ridden tractors ,wheel bolts don't come out. And it gets pricey 

1 hour ago, cwinn said:

Thanks guys,I've seen the brush way done ,just couldn't completely recall it from 25 years ago.  In NY state, home of junk salt, cow poop ridden tractors ,wheel bolts don't come out. And it gets pricey 

If a Farmall M rim and hub are assembled correctly it doesn't require removing any bolts.. 6 nuts and 6 clamps. The inner clamps are held by the bolt and a nut for easier disassembly and reassembly.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.  However, unless I've already been in the tractor I like to replace the old clamp bolts.  Lots of ways for water and dirt and mud to collect around those and most I've found are rotted through to one degree or another.  Some of these letter series are over 80 years old at this point.  

For me personally, I can't see painting rims without dismounting them.  How else will you get them clean? 

Tires are another matter...

• Like 1
On 1/5/2021 at 9:18 AM, Alan Dinan said:

Jack the tractor up and run it in first gear at idle and use a rattle can. Used to paint semi wheels that way. Tape the tire and when finished with the red center and silver rim, hand paint the wedges. Have someone on the seat, for starting and stopping. Block the front wheels too. 

Here hold my beer.....

All of our work tractors, H, M, 766, 1270 Case we had ect, ect with sliver rims just get a brush job of the Rustoleum aluminum paint on them.  Correct or not it keeps them clean and rust free.

• Like 1

I used aluminum paint years & years ago, like about 50 years ago,  can't remember if it was Rustolium or not but probably was.  The combination of deep mud and clamp-on duals made yearly touch-ups necessary.  I bought the Rustolium wrinkle finish paint 2 years ago and a good bristle brush,  but will have to buy a couple foam brushes before I actually paint the rims this spring.

• Like 1

I use cheap throw away Home Depot ,eBay 2 1/2 brush ,is the correct brush . Magic silver ,shake and stirred Good luck blue paper towel for runs on tires . Carry on ? 

• Like 1
On 1/6/2021 at 12:15 PM, jass1660 said:

Here hold my beer.....

The title said Non-correct way... lol. But it does work 

• Like 1

I've seen guys smear a little grease on the tire around the rim before painting.   Then wipe it off when the paint has dried.    Works great to remove overspray....but I've always wondered if the grease might not be good for the rubber??

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

I've seen guys smear a little grease on the tire around the rim before painting.   Then wipe it off when the paint has dried.    Works great to remove overspray....but I've always wondered if the grease might not be good for the rubber??

I've seen it done that way at  quarry on huge loaders etc. Even the window rubbers etc..lol

23 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

If your concerned about this use a tire mounting compound such a Murphy’s soap or Frey lube.  I have done this .  Wipe it off next day.  In a week you will never know it was there.