Found them!!!! Magazines

Big Bud guy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

Question for the Freightliner knowledgable:  I remember seeing some of those White Freightliner COEs with that distinctive, larger grill and see that it was called a Powerliner in the article.  Was this Powerliner a special model with a larger grill opening that allowed better air flow through the radiators with higher-horsepower engines?

In the 70s the Powerliner was the top power level up to 600HP so I would image they needed more airflow thus giving them that signature grill 

2 minutes ago, mike newman said:

......never in my world ....:angry:

Mike

post-157-1202931059.jpg

post-157-1202976272.jpg

They are still loved here in New England all the construction peps still use them.

My buddy ran a R with a coffin sleeper for for one of the local LTL lines.

Then  he got a Superliner when he went out on his own hauling produce out of Florida to Boston that one had a Cummins.

Running a Pinnacle now.

He still swears by them not at them.    

13 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

That was the joke the long haul drivers told years ago 

Driving a one stack Mack with a window in the back is like...............  its Ok if nobody see's ya  

...OK  !!!...I did not realise that was the ''standard line'' re the Mack trucks......The one pictured above was about the three  hundred mark in sales...very popular in NZ in that era..

Mike 

I'll add there is a gent that runs a small gravel pit near by my camp in Maine he has a newer Volvo and a a Pete 10 wheel dump he buys whatever the BTOs are selling used.

For the deliveries back on seasonal roads he has Mack Superliners for that duty

On my road there  are a lot of spots you have to climb the ledge sticking of the road its challenging for a 2WD pick up let alone a fully loaded gravel truck

Great pics, brings back memories building COE freightliners in the late 60s.

Diesel COE trucks fitted with drivers in cowboy hats and boots.

New style electric trucks fitted with drivers in sandals, turbins and plastic pocket protectors.

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

......never in my world ....:angry:

Mike

post-157-1202931059.jpg

post-157-1202976272.jpg

I LOVE that the snorkels are as tall as the stacks! 

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

Love that line of Transtars Thx for posting.

That equip hauler with the 2 KWs had his second truck set up for the heavy stuff 

Anyone drive a truck with a 2sp tandem?

image.png.9e2500f24850a5c87b27bb6ae1af3bf9.png

Wouldn’t be any different than a 2 speed single with a floater axle on what I would call a tandem wheat truck. 

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

Anyone drive a truck with a 2sp tandem?

image.png.9e2500f24850a5c87b27bb6ae1af3bf9.png

.....yes......British built Fords........(hangs head......sigh  ).......six cylinder Ford diesels and /or 504 Cummins V8  ,   6x4   trucks.....cab over,  Never brought one, because of my penchant for American made products, thus ended up working along side of these  Fords, with (my)IH trucks then the Macks...

They were quite satisfactory, for 'dump truck ' type work......thus the New Zealand Forest Service had a bunch of them......Some very amusing stories re delivering a bunch of them that had two different crown wheel 's....had a Mate who was a Ford mechanic, and there was a line of them assembled with incorrect ratio's ...i,e, mixed....As they came into NZ, CKD..(as were the Macks from Pennsylvania.)....the components were just put on an assembly line...and duly assembled ...

With the Forest Service contracts I had......the Australian   IH  trucks and then the Macks really showed up the Ford 6x4's.....As previously said...they were Ok...but far better suited for bread and milk delivery in the UK...then  grinding up Forestry roads....

Mike

Reading that Detroit Diesel ad was interesting.  I would like to know in reality how the 365-hp "Big 'Squeezer" 8V-92TT compared to the Cummins NTC-350 in terms of fuel economy and performance.  The Detroit must have been pretty decent.

I remember seeing market share numbers for Class 8 truck engines from the late-'70s or very early-'80s and while I can't remember details now, Detroit Diesel had very strong market share.  That all disappeared by the time The Captain (Roger Penske) bought them from GM in the late-'80s.

Archived