856 with a turbo, good or bad?

Dirtscooter5

I have been looking for an 856. I found one I like everything about except it has a turbo added. I really don’t need the extra power of the turbo for what I’ll be using it for. Should I shy away from the tractor and look for one without or does the turbo hurt anything. I am not sure if it’s an m & w or a turbo off of a 12. I am just thinking if someone ran it hard with more power then it originally had everything may have more wear in it? 

Thanks Nick 

I wouldn’t be afraid of it if the installation is done correctly and everything works as it should. It also depends on how it’s been used.    See how it starts from cold. See how much blow by you have hot and cold. Check oil pressure hit and cold if possible.  Do the hydraulics all work as they should hot and cold?  Oils all look clean? If the seller will let you ask if you can drop a little oil and check drain plugs for metal particles etc. (Be quick to shove a finger over the hole or it’s gets messy in a hurry)    Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R190 said:

Its approximately 50 years old and still running that tells you alot. 

Yes it does I guess I’m looking at it for a longevity standpoint. I am assuming that a stock 856 may have less wear in everything then one that has been running an extra 20-30hp. But maybe they are built stout enough not to matter. 

I ruined my 856 early in its life. Should have purchased a 1456 but bought the 856 instead and then added a turbo a few years later. I had a fairly new 1066 and had updated some machinery to 1066 size and needed the extra drawbar HP to the ground all the time. Well before long it was using oil and we were constantly working on it. When 1086 series came out i traded it off. In later years i looked back and said what a dumb sh**t i was for destroying a mighty find tractor. You can always use a larger tractor for smaller stuff but not a small tractor for larger stuff 

• Like 1

The NA 407 wasn't really made for the extra power and heat from a turbo.  Only 1 piston cooling jet, smaller radiator and oil pan, different pistons.  M&W had a good total kit, if it was all installed.  Some guys did, some didn't.  As a mechanic, I'd be leery. But I also know how to overhaul the 407.  

Grandad tried a turbo on one 856 back in the 70's.  Burnt up the turbo, then the motor.  I'd be looking it over really close.  But any 856 needs looked over real close.  They're old.  We still have the one that had a turbo on it.  It has 13k plus hours on it.  It's tired. 

All in all.... it's about the price.  Is it priced right to rebuild if needed? Or they asking a collector price?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dirtscooter5 said:

Okay thanks the tractor is about 7-8 hours from me so I’d like to be fairly sure before I head up there. I did a little more research and the turbo is not an m&w and it appears in the pictures it’s done nicely 

Wow that far you'd better be dead sure that's what you want 

We have three 806 equipped with m&w turbos. Mine was set to factory 96 hp, and the turbo took it to 110 changing nothing else. The other two have been over 120 hp for two decades of real farm work under our ownership, no idea how long bed. No regrets.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

We have three 806 equipped with m&w turbos. Mine was set to factory 96 hp, and the turbo took it to 110 changing nothing else. The other two have been over 120 hp for two decades of real farm work under our ownership, no idea how long bed. No regrets.

We ran the heck out of a turbo 806. Ran all day long with turbo power.  Even with the 2 .5 gallon oil pan or whatever they held.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

We ran the heck out of a turbo 806. Ran all day long with turbo power.  Even with the 2 .5 gallon oil pan or whatever they held.

We actually over fill the crankcase by two quarts. The guy who put my turbo on said he used to shorten the dipstick, but he trusted us to just over fill it!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dirtscooter5 said:

Okay thanks the tractor is about 7-8 hours from me so I’d like to be fairly sure before I head up there. I did a little more research and the turbo is not an m&w and it appears in the pictures it’s done nicely 

Pictures? You tease us then don't show us. ? I know some girls like that.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

Wow that far you'd better be dead sure that's what you want 

Yes it’s a haul for sure but finding a good one isn’t super easy. After a lot of thinking and looking I am leaning hard towards an 856. I’ve thought about a 756 but I’ve already got a 686 with a 310. From what I’ve read and questions I’ve asked here I’ve gathered the 7and 8  aren’t much different in physical size and I thought an 8’s extra power might come in handy once in awhile as opposed to buying something with the exact same hp I already have. I plan to keep the tractor long term as these tractors were built for exactly what I want, rotary hoeing and cultivating. So finding a decent one would pay off

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Hard to beat an 856 for those jobs until you get up into the modern powershifts.  (Powershift makes it much easier to slow down on the ends with the rotary hoe!)

The only thing with a newer tractor is the visibility between the front and rear wheel for a row guide is basically non-existent. I cultivated a lot of acres with my 5120 when I started out. When I bought my 686 and made a guide rod my accuracy was unbelievably better. 

D3D37850-9638-4F90-BA3B-1130EB00793D.jpeg

If  memory serves me right the first and maybe the  second  407 blocks didn't have  enough water jacket  on the right side to cool a turbocharged  tractor it would  crack the sleeve. This happened on the 1256  you can tell the early blocks on the right side it followed the curve of the  sleeve. The later blocks were smooth on the right side and I thought they used those blocks up on the 856.

That is a nice looking 856 yet. I would not let a turbo scare me away ever. You have no idea how a tractor was treated everyday other than what you see when you look at it. That one is above average. Just cause it has a turbo doesn't mean it was run like a 14. We don't run anything stock, way too boring and we hate doggie with a passion. Run them with a brain in your head and no issues. We have an 826 with an M&W on it. Dad put it on there when it was only four years old. Set at 150, we pulled it but not stupid. Engine has never been apart and it has about 8000 hours on it. Good hunting, and a drive for the right one is worth it. Don't just settle on a tractor, get the one you want.

KIMG1115.jpg

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dirtscooter5 said:

Sorry here she is lol

2DF5F4DF-91A1-46C3-88F3-491351015ADB.png

I'm intrigued what kind of turbo setup it has, hard to tell with just one picture, but what I can see is that it has the curved intake pipe that is a characteristic of the IH turbo setup, but, it appears that it still has the original 856 hood, probably the original air cleaner, no precleaner above the hood, and looks like a 3" diameter exhaust pipe, which are characteristics of an M&W turbo setup.  I'd have to see more engine pictures to know for sure.

16 minutes ago, Nebraska1206 said:

I'm intrigued what kind of turbo setup it has, hard to tell with just one picture, but what I can see is that it has the curved intake pipe that is a characteristic of the IH turbo setup, but, it appears that it still has the original 856 hood, probably the original air cleaner, no precleaner above the hood, and looks like a 3" diameter exhaust pipe, which are characteristics of an M&W turbo setup.  I'd have to see more engine pictures to know for sure.

Intriguing it is. Curved pipe, yet looks like a small pipe, and 856 hood yet. Gonna need a pic of the other side.

2 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

That is a nice looking 856 yet. I would not let a turbo scare me away ever. You have no idea how a tractor was treated everyday other than what you see when you look at it. That one is above average. Just cause it has a turbo doesn't mean it was run like a 14. We don't run anything stock, way too boring and we hate doggie with a passion. Run them with a brain in your head and no issues. We have an 826 with an M&W on it. Dad put it on there when it was only four years old. Set at 150, we pulled it but not stupid. Engine has never been apart and it has about 8000 hours on it. Good hunting, and a drive for the right one is worth it. Don't just settle on a tractor, get the one you want.

KIMG1115.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement, mighty fine looking 826