Jump to content

60's pickup with 6 cylinder IH diesel


Recommended Posts

Seems like some years back I remember reading about a guy who special ordered a new pickup with a 6 cylinder D-301 diesel!?? Anybody??

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t remember if that is the correct engine, but they did make some with a diesel, but they are very few and far between. I think they are mentioned in the Crismon book, my copy is in a box at the moment so I can’t go check on the details.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw one, I think at Scout and light truck nationals many years ago, I wasn’t real familiar with the ag side of things back then, so the motor and it’s at use didn’t click at the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought a 282/301 would be one of the coolest powerplants to have, also probably wouldnt make you very popular in a crowded parking lot lighting it off when cold lol.  

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

I always thought a 282/301 would be one of the coolest powerplants to have, also probably wouldnt make you very popular in a crowded parking lot lighting it off when cold lol.  

Social distancing ?

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Scouts had what I remember was a Nissan diesel in them.

Unsure if they put them in the pickups or not.

Pretty gutless.

The early was non-turbo and later on they did come factory with the turbo.

I seen one once and liked it but there was nothing left from the door handles down.

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine has an early to mid sixties 3/4 ton 4x4 IH with an IH diesel engine.  Supposedly it came from the factory this way and was special ordered for work in a mine, couldn't use gas engines in a mine supposedly.  He actually still uses it to pull a camper.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diesel Doctor said:

The Scouts had what I remember was a Nissan diesel in them.

Unsure if they put them in the pickups or not.

Pretty gutless.

The early was non-turbo and later on they did come factory with the turbo.

I seen one once and liked it but there was nothing left from the door handles down.

 

Yes, Nissan diesel. SD33 in the 76-79 models and an SD33T (for turbo) in the 1980 models. 75hp without turbo and 100hp factory rated with turbo. They are fun, not fast. Mine will run 55mph down the road just fine with 3:55gears and 33” tires. All the 1980 models with diesel were 4spd from the factory. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Yes, Nissan diesel. SD33 in the 76-79 models and an SD33T (for turbo) in the 1980 models. 75hp without turbo and 100hp factory rated with turbo. They are fun, not fast. Mine will run 55mph down the road just fine with 3:55gears and 33” tires. All the 1980 models with diesel were 4spd from the factory. 

Never have driven a scout with one but worked on a few that were in nissans........everyone ran fine and were bullitt proof but gutless!!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Nissan ED30 diesel engine w/ 3 speed transmission for sale.  I was going to put it in a mini truck.  I did find an IHC truck about 20 yrs ago for sale with a diesel. Someone beat me to buying it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

IHC used the Perkins diesel 6.351(?) as an option in the Loadstar(?) [many years have passed and I no longer keep up with what once was] in the middle 60's that could have easily worked its' way into a C1200/1300 BUT I have personally never seen an advertisement for a light duty IHC factory diesel powered vehicle.   OR ever seen one that wasn't obviously a cut and sew project.  AND this was beaten to death several years ago, and my opinion is still the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, red211 said:

Never have driven a scout with one but worked on a few that were in nissans........everyone ran fine and were bullitt proof but gutless!!!!!!

I recall one finished in the Baja.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

I recall one finished in the Baja.

One year to re-introduce the Scout, IHC spent a fortune on a stable of Scout vehicles for the Baja run. If I remember correctly there were 8 Scouts in the run and they came in 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.  Off road racing group out of Phoenix prepped all of them.  Don't know how it affected sales of the Scout, but they  proved IHC could produce a winning race vehicle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a guy around Peoria IL that has an IH (around 1965) that came from the factory with a D301. I rebuilt the injection pump, and they added a turbo from a 5.9 cummins, but it was too big and lazy so they wanted to put something else on. I quit working in that shop 8 years ago, so never did hear what they put on it. I seem to remember he had more than one of those pickups that came with the IH diesel. Seems like they were 1/2 tons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oleman said:

IHC used the Perkins diesel 6.351(?) as an option in the Loadstar(?) [many years have passed and I no longer keep up with what once was] in the middle 60's that could have easily worked its' way into a C1200/1300 BUT I have personally never seen an advertisement for a light duty IHC factory diesel powered vehicle.   OR ever seen one that wasn't obviously a cut and sew project.  AND this was beaten to death several years ago, and my opinion is still the same.

...6-354 (cubes)......I had one in a 4x2 International    (new)  truck ...Australian made truck......about seven ton   pay load 

Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oleman said:

One year to re-introduce the Scout, IHC spent a fortune on a stable of Scout vehicles for the Baja run. If I remember correctly there were 8 Scouts in the run and they came in 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.  Off road racing group out of Phoenix prepped all of them.  Don't know how it affected sales of the Scout, but they  proved IHC could produce a winning race vehicle.

They, IH Trucks, competed the Baja 1000 with a class 8 6-wheeler years ago.  Probably a lot more "stock" than most would suspect.

   The DAKAR RALLY started yesterday,  I forget how many kilometers or miles it is, but they run in all 4 corners of Saudi Arabia,  motorcycles, 4-wheelers, side-by-sides, cars, mini-trucks,  and KAMAZ AWD 6-WHEELERS running super-singles so only 4 wheels & tires. Not sure about any other TV stations airing it but Direct TV really screwed up the first night's coverage last night.  This years course is like last year's, mostly sand dunes and wind blown rocky wasteland. 3 years ago in South America it was all wet swampy mud!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

They, IH Trucks, competed the Baja 1000 with a class 8 6-wheeler years ago.  Probably a lot more "stock" than most would suspect.

   The DAKAR RALLY started yesterday,  I forget how many kilometers or miles it is, but they run in all 4 corners of Saudi Arabia,  motorcycles, 4-wheelers, side-by-sides, cars, mini-trucks,  and KAMAZ AWD 6-WHEELERS running super-singles so only 4 wheels & tires. Not sure about any other TV stations airing it but Direct TV really screwed up the first night's coverage last night.  This years course is like last year's, mostly sand dunes and wind blown rocky wasteland. 3 years ago in South America it was all wet swampy mud!

What channel is it on?

 

I found a SS model a couple years ago that painted up like the internet picture below. It would be interesting to see one of those race Scouts in person. 

3EBC963F-C57D-4A95-8CED-57F803EA9225.jpeg

707F3742-705D-4864-82E6-8CFE40D2D03C.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

my neighbor has a 1950 IH 3/4 pickup, cant remember teh number like a 120 or 150? it has the same cu.in. motor gas that is in the 460 tractor cant remember like a 221 which might be similar to the bolt pattern of a 263/282 so maybe it would bolt in/up and all you would need is different gear ration in differential? 

that woudl be a fun conversion i have thot - 282 with m&w would be a lil more cool factor

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...