1466 or 1066

I was wanting to know, other than block size I know one has a 436 or 466 and one has a 414 but other than that is there any difference between the two. I’m looking to buy a tractor for local pulling no farming, what is the best out of those 2

1066 is better.  Slightly lighter than a 1466, so you'll have more moveable weight on a 1066. 

14 has bigger brakes and larger axles.  Neither of which will matter much on the track.

14 has a DT436.  1066 is a DT414. 

I built a 1466 pulling tractor for a guy years ago. He did well with it, but I wouldn't choose a 14 to build one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

Ehhh now...  

actually I thought 460 ish was a rule in some places? I’m not a puller though. 

I should have said, depending on rules. 

Years ago I was at a tractor pull in Lincoln and noticed the majority of the  competitors were using a 1066 . 

I asked one of the guys why everyone was using a 1066 and his reply was “ because they are cheep and there’s lots of em around . 

I wasent quite sure if he was serious or just trying to be funny. 

3 hours ago, lorenzo said:

I asked one of the guys why everyone was using a 1066 and his reply was “ because they are cheep and there’s lots of em around . 

Their not either one of those around me. Know different young guys looking for one. Hard to find and expect to pay close to 10k for a decent one

10 hours ago, TheIntimidator1066 said:

I’m looking to buy a tractor for local pulling no farming

I would recommend a 706 clutch and rear end housing and build it from there.  I purchased a 1066 for farm pulling and the next thing you know you are getting a new clutch, tearing into rear end because it pulls you to the side and find out spider gears are gulled together so might as well needle bearing while in there.  Front nose too heavy so buy a Fiberglass nose from Binderlite.  Go to 3rd farm stock pull and blow head gasket and then told better fire ring it.

Something to think about so that you don’t spend money twice like I did.  Something like this photo is what I did for the current tractor (local puller bought this 706 for his project)

I didn’t have too much in my 1066 but by the time I bought a new clutch and did the other items for just farm stock, I should have found something cheaper.

82605741-FB03-4A2E-B49D-F04539F7FD39.jpeg

Very true. What you're likely to get with a 1066 or 1466 is something that's been turned up to 180+HP and had its guts pulled out for decades.

I've been sitting here for the last 10 minutes debating with myself which would be more likely to have had its guts pulled out more, the 10 or the 14... I lost, but really it's probably a tossup. The 1066 would probably be the better choice because of weight as mentioned above. Gives you a couple of suitcase weights' worth that you can hang anywhere on the tractor you need it, instead of being forced to carry it around in the factory locations.

A 706 can't have its guts pulled out because it doesn't have the capacity to make enough horsepower to pull its guts out, even though the internals are lighter than the 10 or 14.

Every time I read stuff like this I remind my self how lucky I am to be within an hours drive of a junk yard full of IH tractors to choose from. Even little things like a Cab type PTO lever or hydraulic seat assembly Or 100 pound weights are literally laying in piles . 

1066 is a little lighter which is a benefit.  1466 has the 436 over the 414 would should give you a little more powerful.  LOTS of 1066’s out there for sale.  Not so many 14’s.  1066 could have diff lock.  Might be some help at stock HP might be a problem above stock HP.  Either can become a 466 engine easily.  Tons of people have done both.  Lots of used pieces out there.  Have fun!

B7E5C1BA-C50A-4E18-9054-C2088D5849D4.jpeg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, billonthefarm said:

1066 is a little lighter which is a benefit.  1466 has the 436 over the 414 would should give you a little more powerful.  LOTS of 1066’s out there for sale.  Not so many 14’s.  1066 could have diff lock.  Might be some help at stock HP might be a problem above stock HP.  Either can become a 466 engine easily.  Tons of people have done both.  Lots of used pieces out there.  Have fun!

B7E5C1BA-C50A-4E18-9054-C2088D5849D4.jpeg

Great looking machine .   I love that paint job. 

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

Every time I read stuff like this I remind my self how lucky I am to be within an hours drive of a junk yard full of IH tractors to choose from. Even little things like a Cab type PTO lever or hydraulic seat assembly Or 100 pound weights are literally laying in piles . 

I need to come back to Nebraska soon, and go to this yard you know of!! I like walking around yards looking for treasures!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Farmall1066 said:

I need to come back to Nebraska soon, and go to this yard you know of!! I like walking around yards looking for treasures!!!

I would be glad to show you . Bring a Ford Dualie , a big trailer, a couple dozen log chains and tie downs, warm clothes, and a wad of cash. 

If your like me you will want to buy everything . 

• Like 2

Check out the pulloff.com business directory as well.  Atlas tractor has some nice pictures of items.  https://www.atlastractor.com/products/#drive_line

I have seen the 1066 farm stock guys put in various gears instead of stock gears.

Again, it is also what you are planning down the line.  Farm stock only or plans for hot farm down the road.  I wasted a lot of money in the process when I bought a stock 1066 to pull “farm stock”.  

The current tractor is a 706 rear end but all internals are gone with custom gears, needle bearing, etc.  

I guess my point is if you buy a 1066 and put injectors, pump, turbo on, there is a possibility of being disappointed and then you will next be buying a clutch.  Then you will be told to needle bearing the rear end.  Then when you can’t quite beat them you will be told to put in a different gear.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lorenzo said:

I would be glad to show you . Bring a Ford Dualie , a big trailer, a couple dozen log chains and tie downs, warm clothes, and a wad of cash. 

If your like me you will want to buy everything . 

That’s the problem, I might need to bring the W900 with a van trailer!!!???

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TeachersPet1066 said:

I guess my point is if you buy a 1066 and put injectors, pump, turbo on, there is a possibility of being disappointed and then you will next be buying a clutch.  Then you will be told to needle bearing the rear end.  Then when you can’t quite beat them you will be told to put in a different gear.

I guess it makes a difference if you have an idea how to build a pulling tractor too.  When I built that 1466 I went through the rear end, put in a pulling T/A with the 1566 input shaft, heavy duty clutch, did the pump and injectors, larger injector lines and turbo. Then they split the rear rims and widened them and put on some bias tires.  Then we went to pulls and I'd do some tuning.  After a few pulls and him getting the tractor figured out, he was bringing home 1st, 2nd and 3rd place trophies as far as I know every pull.  I think we took 5th at the first pull, out of like 15 or 20 tractors. He blew the engine second season and he had me price building him a new one bored and stroked.  I never hear back, buy I promise it wasn't my price.  I priced it 5 grand under the going rate for the build he wanted.  I priced it cheap because I had not done it before (which he knew) and I wanted the job.  I live pretty close to the shop that strokes cranks for Ferd McCormick.  Between Ferd and an old IH mechanic im friends with who was one of the first guys to stretch a 466 to the big cubes they run now, I think I could have done just fine. Still... it's big money.  Well into 5 digits. Just the work I did to the 14 originally was between 10 and 15k. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Name / location of this yard??  Inquiring minds want to know.

On 1/4/2021 at 7:09 AM, TeachersPet1066 said:

82605741-FB03-4A2E-B49D-F04539F7FD39.jpeg

I wish more people would start with one like this.   Instead of knocking a good one on the head.
  I have a 1066 I bought for parts  would be the start to a good puller