Grandpas rocker

vtfireman85

A few things from my grandparents house i wanted. Not a ton , but of the items was grandpas rocker, he did not use it a lot, it sat in what we called the “big living room” which wasn’t really all that big but was only used for family gatherings. I got it home and started cleaning it up to discover it was not as I thought, pine, but maple, it was also made by Hale which was a furniture company locally that my grandfather’s sister worked for, best we can guess it was somewhere around 75’-85’ and i will presume it was acquired via aunt Madine , has one rung that is not seated right but is securely glued, I suspect it was a second. It is very sturdy, very heavy and very comfortable. It have it near the stove, small thing and not super old, but it has family history, as well as local history and i like it... the mrs is not thrilled with the style and the gold trim (i am not big on it either) but she has willingly allowed it. As she says it is not like her folks favorite furniture style “Broken Victorian” they have spindly fragile furniture hat cannot be used as it all has been broken and repaired and cant hold the weight of a human?.

D35CCECB-F9AA-427B-B153-0C715FA46D45.jpeg

0B59FA33-73E0-4004-AEF8-9FE9A2606531.jpeg

CE1A75C5-3C77-4D7C-9447-3D59D52A9E68.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Reminds me of the chairs that they give/gave out at Smitties to faculty members who were distinguished.

Like this? 

FE768219-29D0-40EA-B003-BEC08CDBA818.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Like that.

Please do not shock everyone by telling some tall tale about how you out sawed Fran for that!!!

That belonged to my wife’s grandfather, from St Marks. 

Family stuff doesn’t have to match. It’s the sentiment behind it. Most people roughly our age don’t care about anything like that. Good on you for keeping it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Here is the rocker we have in our living room.  Gave it to my wife for her birthday sometime between 1977 and 1979. I never found it to be very comfortable. The slick seat made it hard for me to sit far enough back to get a proper “ rock”.  A Google search looks like the name might be Robinson Furniture Co, Wilson MI.

06A31D43-B7EB-420E-BD1A-3E1C8C14EF9C.jpeg

EA0FB097-C53C-419D-BB74-8C2A8A2BFFBA.jpeg

407275C4-2627-4699-8126-5734F4569118.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice one ,I’d rock in it 

1 hour ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Now you need a baby to rock to sleep in it!!

Been practicing 

5 hours ago, E160BHM said:

Here is the rocker we have in our living room.  Gave it to my wife for her birthday sometime between 1977 and 1979. I never found it to be very comfortable. The slick seat made it hard for me to sit far enough back to get a proper “ rock”.  A Google search looks like the name might be Robinson Furniture Co, Wilson MI.

06A31D43-B7EB-420E-BD1A-3E1C8C14EF9C.jpeg

EA0FB097-C53C-419D-BB74-8C2A8A2BFFBA.jpeg

407275C4-2627-4699-8126-5734F4569118.jpeg

wow, they could almost be twins!

• Like 1

Looks sweet. I redid a rocking chair for my wife about Ten years ago. It was her grandmas.  I just started redoing an other that was her aunts. All the joints are loose, so I took it all apart and working on getting the old finish off. Than sanding, staining, and finish.  Then it will be off to the upholstery guy. I just found out that he is in Florida and won’t be back till March. So I have some time to get my part done.  

• Like 1