I hate to have to ask this seems like I should know it but apparently ih engines r different then the the pickups I used to play with. 1963 706 with timing marks at tdc and verified with a wire in number 1 cylinder rotor button should be facing number one the cap however it is facing number 5. How do you change one tooth of timing on these engines. I pulled the distributor one to find a straight slot that can only change 180

4 hours ago, snoshoe said:

By dropping oil pump and advanceing or retarding one tooth when you put it back up.

x2 had to do that before also had one where the pin cam outof the oil pump drive gear and allowed it to go down slightly changing the position of the pump to the camshaft but the gear stayed on the keyway so it had oil pressure and drove the distributer but you had to jump the wires one hole.

Well..... if the rotor is pointing at #5, and you are sure you are on TDC of #1..... just move each plug wire over one hole.  Goodness sakes guys.

1 hour ago, J-Mech said:

Well..... if the rotor is pointing at #5, and you are sure you are on TDC of #1..... just move each plug wire over one hole.  Goodness sakes guys.

Good to drive someone crazy in the future lol

6 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Why?  You got a dist cap with a little number 1 on it?  I hate those caps. It doesn't matter which hole is #1.  I've put them many places, but typically try to point them towards the #1 (or designated beginning cylinder).  But it makes no difference whatsoever. 

18 hours ago, cride383 said:

I hate to have to ask this seems like I should know it but apparently ih engines r different then the the pickups I used to play with. 1963 706 with timing marks at tdc and verified with a wire in number 1 cylinder rotor button should be facing number one the cap however it is facing number 5. How do you change one tooth of timing on these engines. I pulled the distributor one to find a straight slot that can only change 180

Here’s an illustration of how the oil pump shaft tang that drives the distributor should be positioned at TDC. 
if this is off the the options are 

(a) drop the oil pan, unbolt the oil pump and retime to camshaft.

(b) move the spark plug wires to a position where it will run. 

A8A9E8E2-1B24-4BD7-AE2F-7D82CFFA9136.jpeg

On 1/3/2021 at 9:39 PM, Cdfarabaugh said:

Yep exactly, it happened to me in my greener years of mechanic work.

Worked on neighbors 706.  Fixing leaks. New points plugs and wires, cap rotor etc.

Tore all the old stuff off threw in garbage. Put new wires, cap on the correct way...... took me aloooong  time to figure out "why won't this frickin thing fire up....nothing, jus crankover.

Got spark, got gas, got compression.....how the h'll did the timing get off, I never changed it!? 

Yep all the plug wires moved one hole..... Oil pump had been put in wrong!

It really stumped me, "I didn't do anything wrong, why won't it run!!"?

Guarantee it will never "get" me again!

14 minutes ago, ole 815 said:

Worked on neighbors 706.  Fixing leaks. New points plugs and wires, cap rotor etc.

Tore all the old stuff off threw in garbage. Put new wires, cap on the correct way...... took me aloooong  time to figure out "why won't this frickin thing fire up....nothing, jus crankover.

Got spark, got gas, got compression.....how the h'll did the timing get off, I never changed it!? 

I don't get it.  Should have been obvious.  Never once have I ever just assumed that the #1 on the distributor cap was actually #1.  Also, I don't remember the cap on a 706 even being labeled, and I've worked on a lot of old gas IH tractors.  Put the engine on #1 before you rip the ignition components off. Easy peezy. 

40 minutes ago, ole 815 said:

You learn something every day don’t you. We all have been there , the key is you figured out the problem and moved on. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

I don't get it.  Should have been obvious.  Never once have I ever just assumed that the #1 on the distributor cap was actually #1.  Also, I don't remember the cap on a 706 even being labeled, and I've worked on a lot of old gas IH tractors.  Put the engine on #1 before you rip the ignition components off. Easy peezy. 

I'm taken aghast that you're for tolerating such a thing.  Guess the next distributor I drop in I'll do it 180 out cause the next guy can figure it out ?

5 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

I'm taken aghast that you're for tolerating such a thing.  Guess the next distributor I drop in I'll do it 180 out cause the next guy can figure it out ?

There is no wrong way to put a distributor in unless it's pinned.  It is recommended to point #1 toward the #1 cylinder, but it makes no difference whatsoever.  Like I said, typically that is how I would install one, but I wouldn't for any reason drop an oil pan and oil pump just to make a rotor point to a number on a cap.  And there's nothing for "the next guy" to figure out.  If you don't know enough to see where the #1 plug wire is plugged into the distributor, or set the engine on #1 before tearing the ignition apart, then you deserve to get stumped.  Distributor ignition is mind numbingly easy.  

2 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Yep should have been easy peezy, thats why I jus tore other stuff off, didnt notice #1 was in different hole, replaced wires in correct order and position like I had done numerous times before on other 706's and 656's 

O well, I learned , have never forgotten, was maybe 21 -22years old then

• Like 1