656 pto linkage

casemagnum

Had a 656 brought to me with pto problems. Was not working. Was in few pieces. Linkage unhooked from spool valve and spool valve removed. Small pin is good. But bottom piece that fits outside and over 2 smaller springs was smashed flat. Ordered different spool from salvage yard. Ordered new top big spring from CNH. However there is a shim and a cup or cap I will call it. Does shim sit in first from top and then cup? Is cup up or down? Appears shim sets inside cup and cup is down, then big spring followed by top cap with orange and seal.

Old big spring was stuck around spool on bottom half and I dont believe it goes there. Can't tell very well from CNH parts page. Included pics of old valve stem and replacement.

20210102_102217.jpg

Screenshot_20210102-102314_Chrome.jpg

20201229_100006.jpg

You'r right. Cup down. Shim inside. Shims adjust start pressure. Take shims out to raise start pressure. Add shims to lower. The two lower springs are the pressure regulateing springs. The top spring is the over center spring.

Didn't say big spring goes on top of cup.

The memory picking begins.   That cup with holes on the side at the bottom was a field change.  I put in a couple of them back in the day. Now the problem is remembering just what it was for.  

On one hand I think it was to prevent the spool from going down too far and allowing a port to line up causing pto to start running when shut off. Other thought was to prevent spool from hitting bottom hard and shearing that little pin when shutting off by letting lever just snap off.  I will look over my bulletins but doubt I have that one. Only have a certain year range from some books I was able to buy at a dealer auction. 

At any rate, the shims go under the cup , number 28 , to adjust partial engagement as described.  Make sure that small thin washer is put on spool before that cup other wise spool will just go through hole in cup and no heavy partial engagement tension will be felt. 

Thanks for both replies. Figured big spring sat on top of cup up top. Those 3 sit on from top side after spools are inserted from bottom?

The bottom piece that 2 springs are above is a piece for cold oil flow on pto I was told by someone else. This one was destroyed as you can see. It is no longer available from CNH and neither is the top small cup that the large spring sits on top of or I would have ordered all from CNH. 

Again thanks for help!!!

Archived