Moving a 25-V Sickle Bar Mower

I am driving several hours away next week to pick up a 25-V Sickle bar mower. It's not attached to a tractor. I don't have any pictures from the seller, and I wnat to be prepared with everything I'll need to load the thing. I have a 16' tilt bed trailer, and a come along.

Does anyone who's handled on of these think a one man team can move it with the right tools? according to the literature, it 500 pounds. I know my come along can drag it, but I also know the weight and balance are awkward. Thoughts?

image.thumb.png.0783163fa4e9758f8456367668a5ec66.png

I would manhandle it onto a piece of plywood and then drag it and the plywood up the ramps. The plywood should work as a "sled" to keep it from catching on everything as it is going up the ramps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As 12 guy said board or plywood something to slide it on. 

Most I have taken the bar and blade off need a lot of heat to get the pins out and a long punch like 1/2" or 3/4" about 16-18" long

that will get it in two pieces and it still will be fun.

Cut a couple holes in plywood to hold loop ropes...something for grabbing on to.

• Like 2

hope it is just a toy....not practical today and $$$ for NLA parts

### cover the bar with some heavy cardboard and gorilla tape good....dont let anyones hands near the bar.... remove and wire up the pit man####

put your ramps close together  if still wide drag onto board from left center leave bar hang out back and secure  drag onto trailer

a winch go along and block would work much better also atv to drag the line

be safe

i liked those old mowers in their day.

if it were me i would try to take cutter bar off, it will make it easer to handle. come-a-long it on your trailer tail wheel first.

i have done a lot of things alone, take it slow and think it through, and be safe.

pete

Two of those refrigerators movers on concrete perhaps ?‍♂️️Location ooppsiite the wheel 
loader lift it and drive under, 

hard to say ,every pick is so different 

I don't think theres any reason to take it apart. I have loaded more dead things than things that move

you have a tilt trailer and come along? just drag it on , I would hook to front left corner with possibly something under it to slide. we had one and I remember my Dad putting it away in tight spots with a 5 ft bar inch at a time

• Like 1

Whoever is selling the cutter probably has a help to get it on a reasonable trailer.

A simple  cable com-e-along and a skid should get it loaded if all else fails.

I use a CM ratchet 3K hoist with a 20 foot chain, slow but sure. Out trailer has a head ache rack in front with a pull lug centered for loading a dead load.

If it is really important I would bring our little 464 with the cheery picker along on the trailer to load it out. Extra weight but the tow vehicle knows about the tractor load already and the extra 500# is no issue for our tow rig.  This is my favorite way to get something non-self loading  moved. I once used two  trips for the move because the load and the tractor would not fit on the trailer.

Take your time and be careful!

After using one of those for many years....take the torch, cut in easily handled pieces, drive past scrap yard on the way home.....

OK, it wasn't that bad--as long as the wooden pitman arm didn't break, of the bar mount casting didn't break again, or the alfalfa insist on dragging up on the end of the bar.  And it was a PITA to hook up.

If you plan on restoring this, great.   If you want a working mower......there have been some really great advances in mower tech....like 3pt and bolt-on sickle sections.     I know I'm being snarky, and we use what we get, but I remember.... I think we spent more time fixing sections, etc, then mowing.

Just now, Jeff-C-IL said:

After using one of those for many years....take the torch, cut in easily handled pieces, drive past scrap yard on the way home.....

OK, it wasn't that bad--as long as the wooden pitman arm didn't break, of the bar mount casting didn't break again, or the alfalfa insist on dragging up on the end of the bar.  And it was a PITA to hook up.

If you plan on restoring this, great.   If you want a working mower......there have been some really great advances in mower tech....like 3pt and bolt-on sickle sections.     I know I'm being snarky, and we use what we get, but I remember.... I think we spent more time fixing sections, etc, then mowing.

I basically said that ,

ours didt pass go in 85' not worth the time  when the 115 was already 

back in the barn 2hrs before heading out to hunt for X $$ part yet again

Yes it would be purely a toy, restoration for posterity only.

I,ll have to look at the original Bill of sale for the Farmall C in 1948 ,there was a mower listed , I wonder if this the model mower on that bos? I asked my older brother , he said ,”what mower”? So ?‍♂️Another mystery 
thanks for posting got me thinking what happen to it again  , ?‍♂️May Never know, 

Would have been about 1968 or '69 Dad gave up on the old Oliver semi-mounted sickle mower,  they were unique, had two swiveling caster wheels.  Started mowing hay with 6 ft Brillion rotary cutter,  it had a problem lifting the wheel tracks and cutting them,  but Dad priced a new trailing type IH balanced head mower, both 7 & 9 ft and it was WAY too much money to justify for cutting 20 acres of hay 3 times a year.  The Brillion cut hay, trimmed road banks, and chopped corn stalks which was popular for reducing root worm infestations in corn.

On 1/2/2021 at 4:00 PM, mmi said:

I basically said that

Yeah, but hardly anyone can decipher your posts.  You just type jibberish. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Yeah, but hardly anyone can decipher your posts.  You just type jibberish. 

I'm the OP and I understood him. Can you say ANYTHING without being a prick?

Anyway, I didn't get it. Someone else can and got it and the tractor before I could get there. ?

40 minutes ago, KWRB said:

Can you say ANYTHING without being a prick?

Yep, I can.  But you don't acknowledge it when I do.  I've got plenty of posts on here you can go read through.  As long as you aren't a whine bag or a know it all who doesn't know, I'm generally pretty agreeable. 

A guy up above posted you should just haul this mower to the scrap yard.  He was more of a prick than I was.  Gonna rip on him too? (For the record I have no problem with that post.)

Besides, I'm not the only one who can't figure out what that guys says.  Don't see what's so hard about using words and punctuation.   I think everyone able to use a computer likely finished 8th grade and should be able to write in a reasonable manner.  

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Yep, I can.  But you don't acknowledge it when I do.  I've got plenty of posts on here you can go read through.  As long as you aren't a whine bag or a know it all who doesn't know, I'm generally pretty agreeable. 

A guy up above posted you should just haul this mower to the scrap yard.  He was more of a prick than I was.  Gonna rip on him too? (For the record I have no problem with that post.)

Besides, I'm not the only one who can't figure out what that guys says.  Don't see what's so hard about using words and punctuation.   I think everyone able to use a computer likely finished 8th grade and should be able to write in a reasonable manner.  

So let me get this straight, you want a gold star, for not being a jerk?!? That's telling.

@Jeff-C-IL clearly wasn't being rude, when his comment was read in its entirety.

Seriously, some lessons in basic courtesy wouldn't hurt you one bit. There's not one thing that you say, that couldn't be said more courteously. There's a difference between being a blowhard who rationalizes their rudeness by brushing it off as truth, and a gentleman who speaks with tact.

40 minutes ago, KWRB said:

There's a difference between being a blowhard who rationalizes their rudeness by brushing it off as truth, and a gentleman who speaks with tact.

That's your opinion.  Sorry, but I outgrew grade school long ago. 

9 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

That's your opinion.  Sorry, but I outgrew grade school long ago. 

tact is for grade schoolers?