1300 C steering box

Longknife

Hello, I have a 68 1300C All wheel drive.  I am looking for Ross steering gear (non Power) parts. I have not been able  to find any new parts so i am looking for  a used box that I can "rob". Does anyone know what other boxes use these parts? I need #13  part #1302 in the diagram. 

https://midweststeering.com/wp-content/uploads/TA54.pdf

ORRRR. I am wondering if a later '69 and up 3/4 or 1 ton box could be used with a some modifications? Any one have used box???? 

Haven't been working on it, I put it in the back of the shed so I could get some of my other projects done.  A swap is an option,  I was looking for a manual box off of a D series 1 ton to see if that would work but haven't come up with one yet. I believe that would require a frame bracket too. Don't want to go to power if I don't have too. 

The D series box is totally different, and the manual box is a pos, horrible to drive compared to the c series box. I think I have a manual d series box still kicking around, but not something I would think about using. I don’t think that the steering box you are looking for is specific to the 1300 as most c series parts interchange rather well. You also might want to try Inland Truck Parts for parts, I know they used to do lots of the old Ross boxes, so there might still be some parts sitting on a shelf.

Dave, Thanks for the reply. Here is what I was told  about my box:

"The MT-118 lists one and only one steering gear for the 1300C. It is a Ross TA-54 (codes 05016 &/or 05060 <= TE-54) with a jointed column, meaning it has a "rag joint". On a Line setting ticket the gear will be listed as a "S-16 Steering gear" in the description column.
The same gear is also used in the 1500C with manual steering with the same codes. They are the only 2 models that use the TA-54 with a jointed column, the A & B use the same gear but, with a one piece column, which means the Cam (worm gear) is integral with the shaft right up to the wheel."

So, according to this my box is a one-of box used only in that year and that is because of the rag joint and collapsible column mandated for '68. If I could find an A or B box I could modify it or rob parts out of it too.  I think the early scout boxes used a Ross box and a single stud and bearing of the same part number. The D series did eliminate the stud and went with a gear type mechanism and I would have thought is as an improvement!? Anything would be an improvement over what I have now!!! (LOL)...Thanks, Ed

Thanks for the info, I will do some research in my parts books and see if I can come up with something. As you know 1300’s are quite hard to come by period.

Dave, Thanks for checking. Here is some other info:

"I have a list with production numbers, there where only 1111 1300C 4x4's built and 3009 1500C's (of which how many had the TE54?). Plus the list has no info on the number that may have been exported."

Here is the beast, oh yeah, wrong grille and no side marker lights. The entire cab and front clip have been replaced at one time.....( I think like the '65 grille better any way!

IMG_3627.JPG

Are you sure its a 68 ? Does it say 1300c on vin tag ?

Just curious a lot of times a previous model year got titled in the following year ,

• 7 months later...