Timing for a Robert Bosch in a 1680

24 minutes ago, Mighty1206 said:

My book doesn't show a 1680 but the 1480 with the MW pump says 27

Ok, I admit I just went to Spencer Diesels website and looked at timing spec. now you made me pull the book and look for real. My 1600 series combine manual covers all the fuel systems and is showing 25 degrees for the Bosch MW pumps regardless of model.  

I think I just went through this with a guy that was running high exhaust temps and he had it at 24 degrees , he moved it to 28 and it cooled it down on . On our big power DT466 Pro Farm we are timed at 36.5 degrees .

‘Danny 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, IHC_1470 said:

Thank you. Yes DT466. Have to transfer the intake and fuel system off the engine coming off the 1680 onto the engine that came off a 1480.

How many hours on that 1480 engine? Do yourself a favor and change bearings if anyplace close to 3000 hours.

Is there a specific reason why these engines like so much timing?  It’s always something that I have found curious.  These MW Bosch DT motors seem 10deg more advanced than most comparable sized engines.

Is it because the DT’s run at bit faster?

Inline pumps have no timing advance mechanism. So they need timed around 28-32* or so. The DT with a Model 100 is timed at 18* but has a 14* internal timing advance, so 18+14 is 32*. Doing the job the op is, I would have timed it before pulling it off to see where it was timed previously. Cummins B/C engines are timed at TDC, but there is a certain number of degrees between beginning of injection and where the pointer is located. Deere is same way. The theory is there's less room for mistakes. Pin the engine, pin the pump and voila!

Thanks for all the information. The last time I did one of these pumps I thought it was timed around 23-24 degrees but was not sure. I have not been to the engine as of yet and yes I will check the timing before I remove the pump for the swap. I have heard mention I was suppose to check the overhead while I was doing this so pretty easy to get everyone on #1 if this actually is what I am suppose to do. Since I have no idea if the last person into these engines did it right that was the reason I was asking for the timing information. Unfortunately my engine manual is just old enough it does not have the inline pump information listed. As far as hours on the 1480 ??????????? I have suggested that plus at least doing the rear main seal but not sure if the owner wants to go that far or not. Been told I am also supposed to install a murphy shut down system on the 1680 and also the 1470 that he has. So who knows just what all I will do before it is all said and done.

with an inline pump, it turns 1/2 of crank speed, so it it's marks line up, it will be on #1. The Model 100 running at engine speed is the one that can confuse people.

2 hours ago, IHC_1470 said:

Thanks for all the information. The last time I did one of these pumps I thought it was timed around 23-24 degrees but was not sure. I have not been to the engine as of yet and yes I will check the timing before I remove the pump for the swap. I have heard mention I was suppose to check the overhead while I was doing this so pretty easy to get everyone on #1 if this actually is what I am suppose to do. Since I have no idea if the last person into these engines did it right that was the reason I was asking for the timing information. Unfortunately my engine manual is just old enough it does not have the inline pump information listed. As far as hours on the 1480 ??????????? I have suggested that plus at least doing the rear main seal but not sure if the owner wants to go that far or not. Been told I am also supposed to install a murphy shut down system on the 1680 and also the 1470 that he has. So who knows just what all I will do before it is all said and done.

It is not your engine so I understand your hands are tied. People think the opposite but combine especially ihc are tough on bearings. Here the dealer did lots of blown up 14 series and 16 combines. They kept 5 motors on hand just for combines. Bearings half life of tractor and the rods will come out the side of a ih combine before 5000 hours.

Yes I know. His original engine he did roll new bearings in and then had some over heating issues and ended up punching a hole in the block. So he put on a reman engine and loaned out the machine and it had issues and ended up with a bent push tube and other issues with about 80 hours on the machine. The 1680 has sit out the last two harvest. He bought the 1480 and while the motor seems to run well the rest of the machine had major issues. So he has decided to swap the engine over. I really wish he would let me dig into things and see if we can determine what has been causing the issues. I did talk him into installing a shut down system so maybe we can at least stop things before major issues happen. I have know idea how much of the gauges and warning lights really work. He bought the 1470 for harvest this last summer. When I was looking at it I pointed out some issues with the water and over heat senders so he wants me to go over that one also and get the gauges and lights working correctly. Around here we are lucky if one can get 3000 hours on the 1470's. They have so much hydraulics to run and in the hills they were underpowered even with a 466 in them. Most got turned up and often way up so that does not make for long life either.

When I needed a manual for my inline I ended up getting one from peaceful creek.  They don’t have it advertised on their website but if you call them they have the blue ribbon manual for the Robert Bosch.

On 12/30/2020 at 9:55 AM, Injpumped said:

Inline pumps have no timing advance mechanism. So they need timed around 28-32* or so. The DT with a Model 100 is timed at 18* but has a 14* internal timing advance, so 18+14 is 32*. Doing the job the op is, I would have timed it before pulling it off to see where it was timed previously. Cummins B/C engines are timed at TDC, but there is a certain number of degrees between beginning of injection and where the pointer is located. Deere is same way. The theory is there's less room for mistakes. Pin the engine, pin the pump and voila!

Thank you for clarifying that! 

2 hours ago, Mike56073 said:

When I needed a manual for my inline I ended up getting one from peaceful creek.  They don’t have it advertised on their website but if you call them they have the blue ribbon manual for the Robert Bosch.

I have the same manual from Peaceful Creek, and don’t have the Robert Bosch stuff either - good to know that they have that manual too.  There is a manual online I have downloaded - it’s a PDF of what seems to be the original IH manual.  What it lacks is specific directions on pump removal/installation, but otherwise pretty complete.  Does the blue ribbon manual go over install and timing?

https://injectionpumps.co.uk/pdf/bosch_pe(S)_inline_fuel_injection_pump_service_manual.pdf