Plowing snow when men were men......

These roads remind me of my part of Iowa in the 50's only difference was Walt Messerschmidt had a Cat dozer with nothing but a heat houser and sheepskin pants and coat.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Is that a “Walters” truck? Our township still has one. Think it has  like 10k miles on it.  Nobody has wanted to drive it in decades, but they keep it ready to go, just Incase.  Old timers tell stories of bucking snow like that. Push in the clutch just as it hits. 

Hard to believe those trucks had enough weight and power to actually push through those drifts. 

Dad always talks about a storm back in the 40tys here where they had to bring the dnr in with cats and v plows to open the roads. That was in March I believe. There’s a picture around here somewhere of the banks but no idea where it is now. 

Nebraska was pretty much shut down in 1939. The National Guard did hay drops from planes. Lots of big dozers with v plows. 
I asked my Grandpa in 78,79 how the winter compared. His response was in 39, a Regular was the big tractor and no one had the communications we had in 78. 
The men were still men!!

I should have said 49 not 39. ?

• Like 1

I've watched that one a few times in the past. Always worth another look. Just amazing how they ram through that deep hard snow. 12x24 tires with chains and 4 wd. Huge engines that must have burned a lot of gas on that job. Clutches probably got a real work out too with all that back and forth. Location appears to be Tug Hill in Vermont, 1939. 

It was like that here in 72-73? Missed almost 30 days of school that winter, by spring cats were the only thing to move it, banks on each side of the roads were 10-15 feet high so graders had no place to put it, was like driving in a tunnel each crossroad you came to a stop as there was no side vision, only room for one vehicle in most places so one would wait at a wider spot so the 2 could pass, my buddy had to shovel down a couple feet to get into the barn through the hayloft, the bottom of that door is probably 10’ off the ground, not many 4x4’s back then like today, lots of flooding that spring when it melted

Snowmobiles were not just a recreational toy that year, starting to sound like an old fart...lol

That was filmed here on the Tug Hill in NY, just a few miles from my place. It was a promotional video for Walters and Frink Snowplows which were both built here in NY. There are still alot of Walters and Oshkosh plows in use here. My Town Highway Dept. still has 3 of them.

Ellisburg 2-12-15-5.jpg

• Like 4

Knew a Guy from SleepyEye Mn who's Dad plowed roads for the County. he kept telling me about the big late winter storms in that area and the motor grader with a snowplow on the front with little heat. Took a tough person to do that work, I grew up in South Carolina, I always thought 14F was cold!!

6 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Nebraska was pretty much shut down in 1939. The National Guard did hay drops from planes. Lots of big dozers with v plows. 
I asked my Grandpa in 78,79 how the winter compared. His response was in 39, a Regular was the big tractor and no one had the communications we had in 78. 
The men were still men!!

..excellent    film on ''you tube ''  re that snow storm and subsequent  nightmares for all involved...lasts about an hour...Jeff wised me up about it..plus sent me a book also...'..incredible hardships  .......tough old folk back in those days

Mike

• Like 2

Take a look at the great blizzard 48/49. Was actually Feb 49. Brought the intermountain west to the mid west to it's knees.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, mike newman said:

..excellent    film on ''you tube ''  re that snow storm and subsequent  nightmares for all involved...lasts about an hour...Jeff wised me up about it..plus sent me a book also...'..incredible hardships  .......tough old folk back in those days

Mike

Just going to bring that up Mike!

It was a bad one

IMG_20201228_125044204.thumb.jpg.9cd5cdba9bc592b9d044f57e6b83b323.jpg

IMG_20201228_125323299.thumb.jpg.8d6c13cf6616b01c962a54cb30d3b1e7.jpg

IMG_20201228_125758888.thumb.jpg.ba7ea2799781802754211b929fd03e1b.jpg

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Just going to bring that up Mike!

It was a bad one

IMG_20201228_125044204.thumb.jpg.9cd5cdba9bc592b9d044f57e6b83b323.jpg

IMG_20201228_125323299.thumb.jpg.8d6c13cf6616b01c962a54cb30d3b1e7.jpg

IMG_20201228_125758888.thumb.jpg.ba7ea2799781802754211b929fd03e1b.jpg

I have a copy of that book too.  I should reread it this winter.

• Like 1

In the early 1980'ies I was a township road commissioner in Illinois and we had a heavy snow and then the temperature dropped to 20 below and winds blew for 2 or 3 days straight.  All the snow in the fields ended up in the road cuts.  The township had a 400 gallon motor grader with 407 IH engine.  With the radiator completely covered the heater would not put enough heat out to melt the snow in the cab on top of the heater.   Being the grader was ridged frame you hit once in the middle and then once to right and left to widen the roadway out so you didn't get stuck with snow coming over the V plow.  I remember wearing so many layers of clothes that i could not set down.  My record for continuous run was 48 hours.  I don't miss those days.    

• Like 2

Here are some home movies that Mom and Dad took in 67 as near as we can date them. The vid of the snow plows we don’t know the location. At the end of that vid the picture of the chevy carryall was on rt 14 coming out of Sodus Point Ny. The T20 my dad is operating is at Pulver Road Sodus at our original farm house  There is a quick shot of the tree trimming basket Dad made at the end of that one

• Like 4

Very interesting videos everyone. Thanks for posting. Winter was like that here in 78/79 they say. Had CATs out opening roads with 10-15’ walls along the roadsides. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Very interesting videos everyone. Thanks for posting. Winter was like that here in 78/79 they say. Had CATs out opening roads with 10-15’ walls along the roadsides. 

Yep, '78-'79 winter I had 10 days straight of OT every day. Pushing back high snow banks with endloader during the days , then plowing with section truck until midnight. Go home close eyes ,get up start over again in morning. Our county had at least three of those Walter trucks . Chain drive 4X4, Cat powered , one way & Vplows, right or left hand wings and one on Interstate hwys. had a two way plow & lime box & spreader. The V plow tucked in close to the truck  would really bust thru the drifts... The beast of our V plowers  was a 12' V plow mounted on a IH Hough D 90? PayDozer that had dozer blade during non winter times. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Rainman said:

Yep, '78-'79 winter I had 10 days straight of OT every day. Pushing back high snow banks with endloader during the days , then plowing with section truck until midnight. Go home close eyes ,get up start over again in morning. Our county had at least three of those Walter trucks . Chain drive 4X4, Cat powered , one way & Vplows, right or left hand wings and one on Interstate hwys. had a two way plow & lime box & spreader. The V plow tucked in close to the truck  would really bust thru the drifts... The beast of our V plowers  was a 12' V plow mounted on a IH Hough D 90? PayDozer that had dozer blade during non winter times. 

My friend has a hough 90 that thing is an animal. 

On 12/27/2020 at 10:47 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

Hard to believe those trucks had enough weight and power to actually push through those drifts. 

So true! I can run into a long drifted stretch with my tandem truck and V plow or my side plow, and if you start losing speed you better stop and back up for another run at it. Once that speed is lost and the snow is deep enough to run around behind the plow and chock the wheel for you, you're hung. And my truck is only a few years old, has full lockers, 435 HP, and weighs about 70,000 lbs with all of my winter stuff on it, and 16 or 17 ton of sand in the box. The only advantage they had was bigger tires, I've only got 11R-22.5s on my truck, usually no chains unless we've had ice down first.

• Like 3

784217788_snowplowblowertruck.jpg.b44d8451a597ac2492877b8a0b238953.jpg

I had better not find one of those on a sale nearby or my wife will finally have all she needs to have me committed.??? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
8 hours ago, Eric V Bielke said:

Here are some pics I took at an auction in upstate New York a few years ago---

IMG_3254.JPG

IMG_3255.JPG

IMG_3264.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

IMG_3267.JPG

I see you were at Gordy Dobbins sale. He had alot of stuff in the yard. A lot got crushed prior to auction though

Everyone of those global warmer alarmists should have to live through one of those winters, if they lived til spring they may have a different outlook 

• Like 2