Rebuilding a 715, 815, 915 final drive.

Thanks to the wonderful new IH site, I dont even try looking up parts.

I've got a wagon someone made from an old combine axle, I have no clue what was really used. It had brake assemblies on the final drives I know because I took one off and made a plate.

The castle nut inside backed off, unloaded the bearings and axle shaft walked right out of the bull gear and fell out, guts look good, just need bearings and instructions.

Snapchat-233961409.jpg

37 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

Thanks to the wonderful new IH site, I dont even try looking up parts.

I've got a wagon someone made from an old combine axle, I have no clue what was really used. It had brake assemblies on the final drives I know because I took one off and made a plate.

The castle nut inside backed off, unloaded the bearings and axle shaft walked right out of the bull gear and fell out, guts look good, just need bearings and instructions.

Snapchat-233961409.jpg

If it had brake assembly 715 or 815 finals. They appeared to be somewhat like the 1460 and later finals. Should be a bunch of those off 503 combines in wrecking yards for not much money

8 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

Dale it's a gravity box on a home made gooseneck trailer. Got it off bisman out your way about 6 years ago, You ever remember seeing it around? 

No neverhave seen one like it. There were tons of 503 ,715s wrecked out in everybody’s tree row for years. So if I had to guess that is what final drive is off of.

I should have known 503 was 8 bolt and the others bigger pattern. My buddy had 3 503 running until 1994 then he traded up. But the 503 drive tires work well on a 9600 jd steering axle it raises back up a couple inches and wider tires. Rims from 503 bolt right on.

8 hours ago, 615 spike said:

In  the service manual for a 715 there are specifications for the amount of preload  you tighten the bearings to, also how to measure it .  If you need such info, I can look it up.  cab

That would be great I have zero info on rebuilding these. I don't plan on buying a book since the finals are just on a homemade wagon.

1 hour ago, brahamfireman said:

That would be great I have zero info on rebuilding these. I don't plan on buying a book since the finals are just on a homemade wagon.

If it’s a 503 find a used one. Not much demand for any parts on those. I would put a ad on bisman looking for a final drive or complete combine.

4 hours ago, dale560 said:

If it’s a 503 find a used one. Not much demand for any parts on those. I would put a ad on bisman looking for a final drive or complete combine.

All I really need is an oil seal and a bearing or 2, if I really wanted to be cheap I bet the bearings are fine. If i could find a final close by I bet it's expensive.  Not much around here other than Larson implement. 

7 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

All I really need is an oil seal and a bearing or 2, if I really wanted to be cheap I bet the bearings are fine. If i could find a final close by I bet it's expensive.  Not much around here other than Larson implement. 

There is a guy by Perham or East of Fargo.  We sold two 1480s to. He wrecks combines has lots of stuff I heard. Can’t remember his name now.

715 chassis book has ten pages on R&R for final drives.  If you want a copy, pm me with your address. cab

On 12/29/2020 at 4:49 PM, brahamfireman said: