Peep sights

junkandcattle

My oldest and I were taking shots at his newly purchased target tree today. My old eyes need help but I think a scope just ruins the look of my Henry 44 and I prefer hunting close up anyway. Have any of you shooters liked or noticed improvement from open sights to peep. I am sort of leaning to a high viz front and rear peep. Any words of wisdom appreciated I am certainly not an expert or even an avid gun enthusiast just like what I like. 

I struggle with peep sights , maybe my eyes are too good? I feel like i  looking at the front sight through the living room window. I like open sights but do better with the high viz fiber optic or the open style like i have on my .22. Imo if you like open and like to shoot the high viz  fiber optic is the way to go. 

12 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I struggle with peep sights , maybe my eyes are too good? I feel like i  looking at the front sight through the living room window. I like open sights but do better with the high viz fiber optic or the open style like i have on my .22. Imo if you like open and like to shoot the high viz  fiber optic is the way to go. 

My vision was 20/20 last time checked. May have something to do with distance from your head to the rear sight. Peep sights are always on receiver or even the tang of the gun. Strange when you are used to a normal rear sight location. 

Skinner makes great stuff.  I have a set on my Henry 22LR......excellent quality and sight picture.

Peep/aperature sights are technically optical sights.....they really work well for me.....focus on front post and all is well.

The Tech Sights on my new Ruger American are a blast as well.

18 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

My vision was 20/20 last time checked. May have something to do with distance from your head to the rear sight. Peep sights are always on receiver or even the tang of the gun. Strange when you are used to a normal rear sight location. 

Could be, the 1903 has peeps, savage 30-30 has peeps, and i had an AR before the flood, that had peeps, not a fan of any of them, but it isn't a problem as I really don't shoot em much

I have good luck with them, but you have to force yourself to only focus on the front post and let your eye "naturally" do the centering of the rear sight.  Its much easier when your eyes get worse and its almost impossible to focus on both sights......that's when peeps/aperature sights really shine.  My eyes aren't horrible, but they aren't what they used to be......and I like the peeps more and more.

The only rifle I have a peep sight on and they are kind of an odd hybrid is an old Anshutz 22 single fire target rifle, I am a believer 

I lay my trap thrower flat (aimed over ground toward hill) and shoot 1 out of 3 clay pigeons in the air with my Henry 22LR and Skinner sights......crazy to hear the birds "chink" in the air as they break.

Can't do it with any other gun reliably....

Shoulder gun, call for bird, pul trigger when you see orange in the ring!

I watched a guy shoot hand thrown clays with a Ruger MK2 once. It was impressive. (So is your rifle trick). We used to shoot quarters with .22 pistols that we flipped up in the air. They are hard to find afterwards ?

My dad’s cousin used to do it from the hip with a .357, he's a weird bird though, loves to hunt butnhe is so scared of ticks he wont go out in the woods, does yard work looking like a covid tester, carries 2 LCPs and a Glock 9 everywhere he goes.. you just never know with him. 

Not saying its special by any means (and I'm no crack shot by any means), but the Skinner sights on that little lever make it a lot easier to pull off!!!!!!  That's as good an indorsement as anything!

1 minute ago, Mr. Plow said:

Not saying its special by any means (and I'm no crack shot by any means), but the Skinner sights on that little lever make it a lot easier to pull off!!!!!!  That's as good an indorsement as anything!

I used to go load up a revolver with .22birdshot and walk out of the house with a few eggs. Start tossing them and smoking every one. Once people quick gawking I would tell on myself. Made for a good party trick. 

8 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Skinner Sights make nice ones. I put the winged rear peep on my 45-70 and matching front. 

677288DC-4474-423C-8778-E5E7CEF7DEA2.png

Skinner is the one I had researched before and I just pulled the trigger for the Big Boy express black gold for my Big Boy steel 44 mag. Hope to report back in a few days

I used peeps for many years, but the eyes got so either I could see the front sight and not the target or see the target and not the sight. So I switched over to Aim Point red dot. Very nice sight ! Just put the dot on the target and fire. Can't miss !

• 2 weeks later...

Almost forgot to report back, got to try the peep sight yesterday. I believe it helped me focus and the front sight can stay as is. Hair high at 50 yards but I can err more than that and still kill.

My son shot competition.22 years ago and I got him a heavy barrel mossberg 44 and put a lyman peep site on it, great little shooter we had adjustable peep sight for it but lost a few of them, and missplaced the front sight shields, the peep still works great even for me.

You mention the sighting being a bit high at 50 yards, my 30.06 I sight in at 2" high at 100 yards which puts it dead on center at 200 yards.

On 12/27/2020 at 3:16 PM, Mr. Plow said:

Skinner makes great stuff.  I have a set on my Henry 22LR......excellent quality and sight picture.

Peep/aperature sights are technically optical sights.....they really work well for me.....focus on front post and all is well.

The Tech Sights on my new Ruger American are a blast as well.

I’m going to look into these.  The factory sights on my little golden boy leave a lot to be desired. 

Archived