Dusk to Dawn light bulbs.........

dads706

I was googling 'Dusk to Dawn' sensors because I want to wire one into the light above the walk-in door to the woodshop. I see they make LED bulbs with the sensor built right into the bulb. Has anybody ever used them?  Comments please.

self contained led for a home front door  have improved quite a bit.

what we installed at our stores was an adjustable  clock and relay's,with good quality master eye on roof, oriented correct then per code the std wall packs pendants, prototype led's in the signs.etc

corporate could fiddle with the clock ,but never stuck around to see , didnt run 24/7 and didnt know for years, ALL were not expensive, neon,incandescence  or florescent

this setup works good now in large wall packs for farm yard,and would be super in the carwashs

I have an integral LED dusk to dawn mounted above the garage.  Love it.  Came from Menards for about $80 and looks similar to a std cobra head pole light. 

Screenshot_20201226-221434_Chrome.jpg

I drilled the decorative  lamp pole at the end of my driveway and installed a cheap photo eye that I think was only $15, 15 years ago, and it’s worked every day since. I replaced the fixture at the top this fall, left the sensor alone, still working.  My neighbor tried a few of those integrated sensor bulbs a few years ago and I believe he said they worked perfect in his post lights but would not work in his porch lights, which makes sense as they are shaded by the porch roof.

for what little the bulb cost, and no effort....I think I’d try it, right?  Open the package real careful,  and the store would probably take it back if you didn’t like it. 

I can't seem to get the sensors on the built-in light bulbs to last much more than one year. I don't know what the problem is. But I just went through my second one. This is an a light beside my kitchen door. I've heard that if they're exposed to Too Much direct sunlight it can burn them out, but I do not know if that's really true. This fixture does face to the Southwest.

Have had 2 led motion dusk to dawn light fixtures go bad in abou a year. Last one I bought i just got a reg motion dusk to dawn fixture and bought screw in led floods for it. Will see how long it lasts. 

Wondered if it was the sensor that went bad. Stil have the last one on bench I want to diagnose but never seem to make the time. I would put a new sensor on it if it would fix it. Or wire direct and mount else where.