Jump to content

Farm shops


farmallman77
 Share

Recommended Posts

Here is my shop , I should be better about taking pictures of the actual building ? just to much going on all the time and most of the time the yard has a lot of stuff sitting here . The shop is 44 wide x184 long with 16ft side walls , 56 ft is heated and air conditioned. 24x44 is the wash bay /paint room the rest is shop , fuel room . It’s takin me a few years to do all of this /like twenty . The first part was 44x96 and then in 2007 I added on 44x88 cold storage .

‘I have been thinking about finishing off the last part of the original shed so I have some more shop area . My dirt working business keeps getting bigger every year and these dozer are big and just don’t have enough shop space for winter service work .

Danny 

C2078AA3-0B0C-4D32-B2A5-1936E1095265.jpeg

D306AF39-7289-4B31-8951-59F91A8BE804.jpeg

F4C50AA1-19CF-424B-9ACE-6092EFAFBD74.jpeg

A06EAAE6-23A6-4366-8B2C-E0EE02BC9FAD.jpeg

957DFB9C-18BD-47A8-A38C-E0F0D567B1F9.jpeg

512185B4-8DE7-4946-8A10-07BCA90E9CF7.jpeg

B79D9228-ACA9-4E66-9D34-4545E6FD2F2C.jpeg

54EC5104-BD06-48E1-B02D-F7722067CAAF.jpeg

533A8D76-E8FC-468A-907A-16331574E326.jpeg

B65A6F75-0A7E-42A3-8375-578EB129F0BB.jpeg

6D4A4BA7-24C9-46A7-916E-ED11F4C2A870.jpeg

F9EFA935-6C55-4E3B-A18D-AA0523AC0345.jpeg

14B83BCA-5507-421A-A6C2-9B1B9C71AC2F.jpeg

B7B22AEC-FD31-4CA4-AAFD-508CD2232B0A.jpeg

D3AF680C-7BCE-48AD-8531-D46A936E6C5A.jpeg

1763B862-2346-41E7-A51C-9836EBBB181A.jpeg

E6601D69-81AE-4C1C-9E4D-72A833D7C4A1.jpeg

  • Like 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20201129_093619.thumb.jpg.5f02a82feba3ac22f3dae0656d3f27ac.jpg

It is SUPPOSED to be a barn. Instead it's a shop,shed,lumber seasoning facility, deer processing,antique repository and some time movie set(Once. So far). I 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Old Binder Guy said:

Son Mike's shed and shop. 108' X 48' X 14' with 12' doors. Upper windows are an upstairs mezzanine.

1055459448_SilverCreekMikesshopChevyFordpickups11-2-16.thumb.JPG.841edf638d9c470ee18f3e666e53ee51.JPG

The shed end is cold storage and gravel floor.

1176450008_20hpReevesIHFarmallM15hpCaseshedcenter9-21-15.thumb.jpg.8ca5c2375cb04c45053105afa71ec7d2.jpg

Some red and gray paint. McCormick binder in corner. My first truck at left.

1443486303_IHTractorsinshed.thumb.jpg.f9007bef29afdc695bc29a2129c54953.jpg

IH Tractors on a Montana Farm.

1002336793_IHCTractorsFarmallsTD-40inshed6-2-17red.thumb.jpg.7236f4929db8b4682f25929a5561eda6.jpg

McCormick Deering threshing machine, used each year.

1111323691_McCormickThreshingmachinereadytoremovefromshed8-5-15.jpg.8739aea4ef3fa038ed4c8203861ba35b.jpg

Inside the shop, floor hot water heat and wood stove.

511535938_MikesShopA12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.dee1f8cfbd1f96511dd9c9e588a0566b.jpg

954826869_MikesShopB12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.32a1dc55e60d4661b795f336d188e864.jpg

618758214_MikesShopC12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.178951d01d7726e3a2050b97183501ea.jpg

269220264_MikesShopD12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.7786208b5dc7c4c22031fb6bb84781ff.jpg

A slight peek inside Mike's wood shop. 1940 IH Farmall A.

112482754_MikesShopE12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.92b54e357745ca09d528c77d49b81e63.jpg

At right on the welding rod cabinet, inside the old oilcans is Mike's steam powered, double cylinder pencil sharpener.

40864535_MikesShopH12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.3366105a45827af9f40677fa1f162ec1.jpg

1768617580_MikesShopI12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.64fc7c034f8b8ec317df3cd25821c9c8.jpg

My first car at left, a black Ford. Mike's first car at right, a black Chevy.

1158123401_MikesShopJ12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.c19599351424a63d52db22d38b14b2f9.jpg

Mike's attack dog, Kaiser Jäger walks past the 230 Amp arc welder.

997332024_MikesShopK12-27-2020_edited-1.thumb.jpg.848a8b38744cd1b06770923408d47454.jpg

My dad's anvil. Mike has all of his cabinets on wheels, so they can have locations altered or cleaned under.

875304350_MikesShopL12-27-2020_edited-1.thumb.jpg.55515a3c022cd0b9b30fe7e83ffbae0d.jpg

716847595_MikesShopM12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.45b3734a9b88c2737be19ef6f8979c14.jpg

1751357378_MikesShopN12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.bc968bf8fe4424cb17bc9940559dd1cf.jpg

My grandpa's post drill, a few monkey wrenches, etc. Cookies for the dogs too.

691289932_Shopredibolttablesledgehammerspostdrilletc9-17-2020.thumb.jpg.a307c03db53b867b066dc8ce9fa8e6ca.jpg

Machine room, lathe and mill drill.

859782216_ToolsonSouthtoolwallinmetalmachineshop6-18-2020.thumb.jpg.aa7b8f9424f0ea938221fc0c879fbf1a.jpg

1190992501_Shopmillingmachinein4-22-13red.thumb.jpg.6c256c817fb8c04a325f263473376416.jpg

137799316_MikesShopF12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.ad6a7c7a09bcc6bd64ee3bbb7784ad13.jpg

When Mike built the shop, he wanted a mezzanine to store things up above. Below are the bathroom, metal shop, wood shop and Mike's room with the stairway to the mezzanine. And I had to hook up my grandmother's 1927 gold plated chandelier on the upper ceiling. They lived in this shop for about 10 months while their house was getting built. 

1769678659_shopmezzaninechandalier.thumb.JPG.ce9bdd52eda108af1b9c093c527c03b4.JPG

My office desk upstairs in the mezzanine. The black dial phone behind the radio speaker is hooked up and works. I've used it three times to call and let the Northwest Energy know the power was off. The downstairs digital phone is dead then.

1236090190_RolltopdeskinMezzanine10-25-15red.thumb.jpg.6952e58dd5cfc8a00b487eee77ac28da.jpg

Mike has let me pretty much "decorate" his shop. I've collected old tools for over 70 years. Old Binder Guy or Gary ?

2089498168_Mezzanineantiquesstuffdesks10-13-16.thumb.jpg.c98502e597096ebb85254625313cfeb0.jpg

Photos & cans in shop mezzanine stub wall 11-7-16.JPG

The sink is a mop sink set in a cabinet. Toilet to right.

455339862_ShopBathroomphotosonsouthwall.thumb.jpg.4ce62d189be9646ccc4026609ddf3b80.jpg

Big boy's potty and shower when being installed.

shop urinal piped.jpg

 

Gary,are your are sure this is not more of a western artifact museum ??

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Old Binder Guy said:

Son Mike's shed and shop. 108' X 48' X 14' with 12' doors. Upper windows are an upstairs mezzanine.

1055459448_SilverCreekMikesshopChevyFordpickups11-2-16.thumb.JPG.841edf638d9c470ee18f3e666e53ee51.JPG

The shed end is cold storage and gravel floor.

1176450008_20hpReevesIHFarmallM15hpCaseshedcenter9-21-15.thumb.jpg.8ca5c2375cb04c45053105afa71ec7d2.jpg

Some red and gray paint. McCormick binder in corner. My first truck at left.

1443486303_IHTractorsinshed.thumb.jpg.f9007bef29afdc695bc29a2129c54953.jpg

IH Tractors on a Montana Farm.

1002336793_IHCTractorsFarmallsTD-40inshed6-2-17red.thumb.jpg.7236f4929db8b4682f25929a5561eda6.jpg

McCormick Deering threshing machine, used each year.

1111323691_McCormickThreshingmachinereadytoremovefromshed8-5-15.jpg.8739aea4ef3fa038ed4c8203861ba35b.jpg

Inside the shop, floor hot water heat and wood stove.

511535938_MikesShopA12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.dee1f8cfbd1f96511dd9c9e588a0566b.jpg

954826869_MikesShopB12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.32a1dc55e60d4661b795f336d188e864.jpg

618758214_MikesShopC12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.178951d01d7726e3a2050b97183501ea.jpg

269220264_MikesShopD12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.7786208b5dc7c4c22031fb6bb84781ff.jpg

A slight peek inside Mike's wood shop. 1940 IH Farmall A.

112482754_MikesShopE12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.92b54e357745ca09d528c77d49b81e63.jpg

At right on the welding rod cabinet, inside the old oilcans is Mike's steam powered, double cylinder pencil sharpener.

40864535_MikesShopH12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.3366105a45827af9f40677fa1f162ec1.jpg

1768617580_MikesShopI12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.64fc7c034f8b8ec317df3cd25821c9c8.jpg

My first car at left, a black Ford. Mike's first car at right, a black Chevy.

1158123401_MikesShopJ12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.c19599351424a63d52db22d38b14b2f9.jpg

Mike's attack dog, Kaiser Jäger walks past the 230 Amp arc welder.

997332024_MikesShopK12-27-2020_edited-1.thumb.jpg.848a8b38744cd1b06770923408d47454.jpg

My dad's anvil. Mike has all of his cabinets on wheels, so they can have locations altered or cleaned under.

875304350_MikesShopL12-27-2020_edited-1.thumb.jpg.55515a3c022cd0b9b30fe7e83ffbae0d.jpg

716847595_MikesShopM12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.45b3734a9b88c2737be19ef6f8979c14.jpg

1751357378_MikesShopN12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.bc968bf8fe4424cb17bc9940559dd1cf.jpg

My grandpa's post drill, a few monkey wrenches, etc. Cookies for the dogs too.

691289932_Shopredibolttablesledgehammerspostdrilletc9-17-2020.thumb.jpg.a307c03db53b867b066dc8ce9fa8e6ca.jpg

Machine room, lathe and mill drill.

859782216_ToolsonSouthtoolwallinmetalmachineshop6-18-2020.thumb.jpg.aa7b8f9424f0ea938221fc0c879fbf1a.jpg

1190992501_Shopmillingmachinein4-22-13red.thumb.jpg.6c256c817fb8c04a325f263473376416.jpg

137799316_MikesShopF12-27-2020.thumb.jpg.ad6a7c7a09bcc6bd64ee3bbb7784ad13.jpg

When Mike built the shop, he wanted a mezzanine to store things up above. Below are the bathroom, metal shop, wood shop and Mike's room with the stairway to the mezzanine. And I had to hook up my grandmother's 1927 gold plated chandelier on the upper ceiling. They lived in this shop for about 10 months while their house was getting built. 

1769678659_shopmezzaninechandalier.thumb.JPG.ce9bdd52eda108af1b9c093c527c03b4.JPG

My office desk upstairs in the mezzanine. The black dial phone behind the radio speaker is hooked up and works. I've used it three times to call and let the Northwest Energy know the power was off. The downstairs digital phone is dead then.

1236090190_RolltopdeskinMezzanine10-25-15red.thumb.jpg.6952e58dd5cfc8a00b487eee77ac28da.jpg

Mike has let me pretty much "decorate" his shop. I've collected old tools for over 70 years. Old Binder Guy or Gary ?

2089498168_Mezzanineantiquesstuffdesks10-13-16.thumb.jpg.c98502e597096ebb85254625313cfeb0.jpg

Photos & cans in shop mezzanine stub wall 11-7-16.JPG

The sink is a mop sink set in a cabinet. Toilet to right.

455339862_ShopBathroomphotosonsouthwall.thumb.jpg.4ce62d189be9646ccc4026609ddf3b80.jpg

Big boy's potty and shower when being installed.

shop urinal piped.jpg

 

....Montana is a great state to visit.....really loved that place..been there in all four seasons..

...just wondering, Gary, is the current Storeman/Caretaker  due for replacement.....soon...:rolleyes:

...or did the pictures of my Restoration Dept......sort of slide  me down that  potential position list...???....:(

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Mike, what is the orange Ford back in the corner?

...good   spotting !!!!

..my old ""Orange Roughie""...had it for many years     RHD out of Melbourne, Australia.....The engine (302) is out of it....almost installed a 6.2  GM Diesel....but sat under a tree for a bit.....and decided against that project.....Short of"project " dollars  , but will rebuild the 302...eventually

A bit of "Americana ""   ..I call it....along with a 250 of the similar   vintage and our 2000   RHD Blazer     Good Stuff...:)

Mike

...anyway...the 'new '  trucks are so damn ugly.....

post-157-1263633366.jpg

post-157-1204530847.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, hardtail said:

Can we get a little more info on the wood boiler, size, run time, how many cords of wood per year and what kind? What is your climate like?

Boiler is a Garn 1500 gallons treated water. It is a gassiffer type as it burns the smoke. The only time you will smell any smoke is when first lit up. Run time varies as to how low you've let the water temp get. How much wood you use depends on many things ,( type of wood, weather, when I start the green house, how much time in the shop). I'd say run time about three hours on average. We burn any kind of wood as long as it's dry, Alder bushes to Willow bushes and anything in between. We heat house, shop, green house, and domestic water. So amount of wood can vary from 12 cord to 16 cord. Heating season is from October to May as a rule. Temps can run from 20* to -40*. This morning I see -30*.

This type of boiler is different than the smokey ones as it burns the smoke in the back of the burn chamber. First year it saved us about 6 cord of wood over the previous boiler we had. There is a learning curve on how to run it as you want to get the water temp up to 190* or so. Depending on what kind of wood you're burning you set the blower timer to be done when all the wood is consumed and the fire is done for the day and no coals are left. If you go on Garns web site there are videos there you can watch.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They were doing biomass development at work 20 yrs ago nice to see the technology hitting the market

Does the radiant heat of the boiler heat the shop space and hydronic goes to others buildings? I guess it would depend on how well it is insulated, boiler rooms tend to be warm

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No not much radiant heat loss, just a little around the door area. I have a heater coil just off to the left of the boiler with a squirrel cage blower that does the shop both down stairs and up stairs. Metal shop down , wood shop up. Otherwise they make a mess on each other plus a fire hazard. The insulation is 3" thick and is called rocksol, it was a kit I purchased from a company in Chicago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a really cool thread!  Some of y'all have a lot invested in your buildings/businesses (tools, manuals, tractors, etc!)  I feel like we could benefit from a shop tour- anytime anyone wants to see around mine it's always welcome to any IH enthusiast. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My shop (visible behind the 656) is a 30 x 45 from the 1970's.  Dad and I added the sliding doors 10 years ago.  Wood burning stove, no insulation,  dirt floor.  I have restored a dozen tractors in there (most for customers) and countless repairs.  Plan to replace it soon.

20170128_154017.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been putting a shop up all summer.  Tonight I actually got to change the oil in my truck in a warm shop with room, ahh. The little things in life 

 

lots to do yet, but I can start keeping up with things better now.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/28/2020 at 6:01 PM, DirtBoyz07 said:

Here is my shop , I should be better about taking pictures of the actual building ? just to much going on all the time and most of the time the yard has a lot of stuff sitting here . The shop is 44 wide x184 long with 16ft side walls , 56 ft is heated and air conditioned. 24x44 is the wash bay /paint room the rest is shop , fuel room . It’s takin me a few years to do all of this /like twenty . The first part was 44x96 and then in 2007 I added on 44x88 cold storage .

‘I have been thinking about finishing off the last part of the original shed so I have some more shop area . My dirt working business keeps getting bigger every year and these dozer are big and just don’t have enough shop space for winter service work .

Danny 

C2078AA3-0B0C-4D32-B2A5-1936E1095265.jpeg

D306AF39-7289-4B31-8951-59F91A8BE804.jpeg

F4C50AA1-19CF-424B-9ACE-6092EFAFBD74.jpeg

A06EAAE6-23A6-4366-8B2C-E0EE02BC9FAD.jpeg

957DFB9C-18BD-47A8-A38C-E0F0D567B1F9.jpeg

512185B4-8DE7-4946-8A10-07BCA90E9CF7.jpeg

B79D9228-ACA9-4E66-9D34-4545E6FD2F2C.jpeg

54EC5104-BD06-48E1-B02D-F7722067CAAF.jpeg

533A8D76-E8FC-468A-907A-16331574E326.jpeg

B65A6F75-0A7E-42A3-8375-578EB129F0BB.jpeg

6D4A4BA7-24C9-46A7-916E-ED11F4C2A870.jpeg

F9EFA935-6C55-4E3B-A18D-AA0523AC0345.jpeg

14B83BCA-5507-421A-A6C2-9B1B9C71AC2F.jpeg

B7B22AEC-FD31-4CA4-AAFD-508CD2232B0A.jpeg

D3AF680C-7BCE-48AD-8531-D46A936E6C5A.jpeg

1763B862-2346-41E7-A51C-9836EBBB181A.jpeg

E6601D69-81AE-4C1C-9E4D-72A833D7C4A1.jpeg

Slatted floors?  You have "moreitis" buddy.  More tires, tools, welders, trinkits, tractors, and such. 

Awesome! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/29/2020 at 3:01 PM, DirtBoyz07 said:

Here is my shop , I should be better about taking pictures of the actual building ? just to much going on all the time and most of the time the yard has a lot of stuff sitting here . The shop is 44 wide x184 long with 16ft side walls , 56 ft is heated and air conditioned. 24x44 is the wash bay /paint room the rest is shop , fuel room . It’s takin me a few years to do all of this /like twenty . The first part was 44x96 and then in 2007 I added on 44x88 cold storage .

‘I have been thinking about finishing off the last part of the original shed so I have some more shop area . My dirt working business keeps getting bigger every year and these dozer are big and just don’t have enough shop space for winter service work .

Danny 

C2078AA3-0B0C-4D32-B2A5-1936E1095265.jpeg

D306AF39-7289-4B31-8951-59F91A8BE804.jpeg

F4C50AA1-19CF-424B-9ACE-6092EFAFBD74.jpeg

A06EAAE6-23A6-4366-8B2C-E0EE02BC9FAD.jpeg

957DFB9C-18BD-47A8-A38C-E0F0D567B1F9.jpeg

512185B4-8DE7-4946-8A10-07BCA90E9CF7.jpeg

B79D9228-ACA9-4E66-9D34-4545E6FD2F2C.jpeg

54EC5104-BD06-48E1-B02D-F7722067CAAF.jpeg

533A8D76-E8FC-468A-907A-16331574E326.jpeg

B65A6F75-0A7E-42A3-8375-578EB129F0BB.jpeg

6D4A4BA7-24C9-46A7-916E-ED11F4C2A870.jpeg

F9EFA935-6C55-4E3B-A18D-AA0523AC0345.jpeg

14B83BCA-5507-421A-A6C2-9B1B9C71AC2F.jpeg

B7B22AEC-FD31-4CA4-AAFD-508CD2232B0A.jpeg

D3AF680C-7BCE-48AD-8531-D46A936E6C5A.jpeg

1763B862-2346-41E7-A51C-9836EBBB181A.jpeg

E6601D69-81AE-4C1C-9E4D-72A833D7C4A1.jpeg

......good to see the 7U    and the 9U    all cosy inside along with those seriously nice   IH wheel tractors.......!!

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Troy , the shop needs to get cleaned up again , it’s been along fall ? Been in the dozer since September so you guys know what happens , I will put that away later ??

Mike , The D6 9 U was my dads old dozer , I got it back 4 years ago . It needs to get done before this coming summer , the ACMOC Show is in my home town of north east IA . The D4 was a barn find a couple years ago and I cleaned it all up serviced it and resold it this fall , it had 988 hours on the meter , it was in really nice shape .

‘Danny 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

whoa, all i can say is so many amazing things from tools, to heaters, tractors and projects, buildings are quaint, nostalgic and perfect for the person and their needs. 

I will have to get some pix of my dog house, im not a BIG PROJECT person like so many of you and your amazing skills, i work on stuff i can handle which is small and simple usually. 

you guys amaze me over and over - thanks for the great pix - what a beautiful places we all get to have 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

.......then along cam e "Hurricane Geta".....and filled our newest  shed/workshop  with  crap from the Forestry Operations,adjacent  to our place.....Also took out  our new sheep yards....and a bunch of new fences.....

Mike

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0698.JPG

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/28/2020 at 6:11 PM, hardtail said:

Can we get a little more info on the wood boiler, size, run time, how many cords of wood per year and what kind? What is your climate like?

I'm having trouble seeing a boiler in the pictures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s in Augercreeks post boiler with gold Garn round door for loading wood

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...