AIR FRYER

farmall666

My in laws got one last week for Christmas. We asked them tonight if they tried it out. She made potato wedges in it and they turned out great. Thinking about one as well to replace out old oily fryer. Oil will be banned after 1/20/21.

I think you can overthink it. 

Got one give to me for Christmas a few years ago (pretty sure it was some cheap chinee mfg) and it works fine. Especially for frozen french fries. Make sure you get one big enough for the serving size you want. IIRC took around 12 to 15 minutes per batch. Couldn't keep up with me and three boys. 

I prefer fries cut from red taters and put in the fry daddy though. Real taters in the air fryer seemed a little dry to me but to each their own. 

Crap, now I'm hungry for french fries, maybe just one little batch before bedtime......................................?

5 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

Oil will be banned after 1/20/21.

Them's fightin' words? 

How are we supposed to cook nuts at our smoker??

7 hours ago, cedar farm said:

My in laws got one last week for Christmas. We asked them tonight if they tried it out. She made potato wedges in it and they turned out great. Thinking about one as well to replace out old oily fryer. Oil will be banned after 1/20/21.

What’s this about oil being banned in January?

Go big or go home when it comes to an air fryer. We got one, it works good, just too small though. My wife's daughter got it for her on a birthday.   If you were a single person and were only doing a single serving, then it would work good.     They work great to also warm up left overs that you don't want to get soggy in the microwave.  We fry bacon in it, warm up pizza, onion rings, you name it.   

7 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I think you can overthink it. 

Got one give to me for Christmas a few years ago (pretty sure it was some cheap chinee mfg) and it works fine. Especially for frozen french fries. Make sure you get one big enough for the serving size you want. IIRC took around 12 to 15 minutes per batch. Couldn't keep up with me and three boys. 

I prefer fries cut from red taters and put in the fry daddy though. Real taters in the air fryer seemed a little dry to me but to each their own. 

Crap, now I'm hungry for french fries, maybe just one little batch before bedtime......................................?

Them's fightin' words? 

Bride got one , dry ,bland tasting pos. Not for me !

my family has them, several units of various asian manufacturing. they love them they say, its a toaster oven with a blower/fan basically. Not sure they cook really that much faster than a microwave, yes faster than an oven, but you dont get the soggy/soft type experience from a microwave. 

Never used a convection oven not sure if that would be comparable. Definitely less expensive for sure. 

mom n dad just picked one up on black friday says she wished she got a bigger one already. 

Mine never leaves the counter, I use it almost daily.

First, I'll say, it is not a replacement for a real deep fryer filled with oil. I've tried to cook several things meant to be fried in oil and it just doesn't work. It does make acceptable fries, but don't expect it to cook breaded chicken strips.

Couple things on why mine gets used often. #1 is breakfast sausages, hot dogs, brats. Cooks them quickly, thoroughly, and gives em a nice char in a couple minutes. Reheating leftover pizza, finally a way to warm up 3 day old pizza and have a crunchy crust.

Browning meats that are headed for other cooking methods... I also have and recommend one of those InstaPot countertop pressure cookers. Toss a frozen chicken breast in the air fryer, cook 5 minutes or so, nice golden brown but still frozen center, cut it up & toss in some veggies and stock in the IPot, pressure cook 10 minutes.... homemade chicken soup in about 1/2 hour. Vs/Vs as well, cook something in the Ipot, then brown it in the air fryer, great chicken legs or country style ribs fast.

We got one last year after everyone we know raving about them. I have not been impressed with it. Nowhere near as good as a deep fryer. Might be we have not tried the right thing in it yet. 

12 hours ago, sandhiller said:

If your cooking nuts at your smoker you are standing to close.?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cattech said:

Mine never leaves the counter, I use it almost daily.

First, I'll say, it is not a replacement for a real deep fryer filled with oil. I've tried to cook several things meant to be fried in oil and it just doesn't work. It does make acceptable fries, but don't expect it to cook breaded chicken strips.

Couple things on why mine gets used often. #1 is breakfast sausages, hot dogs, brats. Cooks them quickly, thoroughly, and gives em a nice char in a couple minutes. Reheating leftover pizza, finally a way to warm up 3 day old pizza and have a crunchy crust.

Browning meats that are headed for other cooking methods... I also have and recommend one of those InstaPot countertop pressure cookers. Toss a frozen chicken breast in the air fryer, cook 5 minutes or so, nice golden brown but still frozen center, cut it up & toss in some veggies and stock in the IPot, pressure cook 10 minutes.... homemade chicken soup in about 1/2 hour. Vs/Vs as well, cook something in the Ipot, then brown it in the air fryer, great chicken legs or country style ribs fast.

We do this to.  Wife buys cheapest cuts of meat she can, maybe a chuck or round, brown it really good, dump it into the insta pot.  Then put seasoned taters in the air fryer.  Really good, and when you have two growing boys it helps 

The air fryer does frozen shrimp way better than any oven. But as stated above it can not replace a deep fryer. Still I really enjoy shrimp this way

They are never big enough, so it’s kinda like mom making French toast when I was a kid, we eat in shifts with her calling out from the kitchen to ask who is ready for another

I got a 7 qt Power XL Air Fryer for Xmas.  I put a .64 Filet Mignon with seasoning in it to see how it cooks the meat.  It was finished after 10 minutes, and I ate the whole thing in 15 minutes.  It was not hard to clean up as it hardly had any residue in the pot.  I think they are great, but I am no authority on cooking.  I used to BBQ all meat.

Daughter in-law uses  hers for a lot , I wondered what that that thing was I got the mottsorella sticks out of . Looks like a old fashion bread box .

7 hours ago, farmer john 8910 said:

We have a Ninja. We don’t use our oven much anymore. It gets used every day 

My wife takes round steak and chars it in the ninja then puts broth in and makes some awesome roast beef with that thing.

we don’t rely on it but do use it pretty often

They are awesome but get the biggest capacity you can. You can cook about anything in em but they dont hold a lot.