Ever seen one of these ?

searcyfarms

I've ran across those before. Usually when I'm splitting elm but I've seen them in other hardwood. I'm not sure exactly what they are.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I've ran across those before. Usually when I'm splitting elm but I've seen them in other hardwood. I'm not sure exactly what they are.

they sure a big - seems they might be some kind of wood boring larve 

http://www.livingwithbugs.com/log_home.html

They are Sawyer beetle larva. Each type of tree has it's own kind of beetle and larva. During summer time you'll see a beetle with long antennae flying around, they bite a hole in the bark of the host tree and lay a egg which hatch's into a larva and burrows into the wood. You can hear them chewing away in the wood pile. Balsam is a favorite here.

interesting - i wonder if they are any of the larva that are killing the ash trees - i had all the pine bettles, i cant believe how many trees they are killing in the mountains, its astounding out in colorado, that is the only area i have seen when I was traveling. 

• Sad 1

Ash trees have two enemies here, Ash yellows which is a virus and the Emerald Ash Borer which girdles the tree just under the bark. Our Spruce and Balsam trees are doomed in our area as the bud worm has taken a toll on them.