ice fishing cameras

I use a fish finder. A friend of mine has one that looks like a flashlight he will clean off a spot squirt some water on the ice to make it clear hold that on the ice and can tell if there is fish with out drilling a hole first   

5 minutes ago, SASW6 said:

I use a fish finder. A friend of mine has one that looks like a flashlight he will clean off a spot squirt some water on the ice to make it clear hold that on the ice and can tell if there is fish with out drilling a hole first   

Wow. Didn’t know anything like that existed...  we rarely get good enough ice for long enough to ice fish.

I’ve got a hand auger and some ancient gear along with a few rods and reels I actually made.  Hoping it gets to where we can go this winter. Top off a broken bass rod, a hammer handle, and some 1/8” rod makes a usable but spartan ice fishing rig. No sporting good stores around here even carry the gear. 

44276FCA-0976-4A0B-980F-149CB0EAEDCC.jpeg

F3752831-14ED-4DBD-8134-5B7E224516FD.jpeg

• Like 5

For finders there is vexilar. Thats a standard flasher. Garman makes the panoptix. Which is borderline cheating. And the aquavue is an underwater ice camera. Also cheating. However ive used underwater cams to check the water quality and look for structure before.

We use to go to Mille Lacs in MN and one of the guide services we used the guy had just bought a  Aqua View this was when they first came out he came out to our shack wanted to test it out we weren't catching a thing put the camera in hear there was perch all a round looking at my minnow so yes you can see them but you cant make them bite so I don't see an advantage to having a camera      

• Haha 2
19 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Wow. Didn’t know anything like that existed...  we rarely get good enough ice for long enough to ice fish.

I’ve got a hand auger and some ancient gear along with a few rods and reels I actually made.  Hoping it gets to where we can go this winter. Top off a broken bass rod, a hammer handle, and some 1/8” rod makes a usable but spartan ice fishing rig. No sporting good stores around here even carry the gear. 

44276FCA-0976-4A0B-980F-149CB0EAEDCC.jpeg

F3752831-14ED-4DBD-8134-5B7E224516FD.jpeg

Hay if it works for how much you get to go. Come to Wisconsin I'll take you along I'm going tomorrow could not fine wax worms till yesterday. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, SASW6 said:

Hay if it works for how much you get to go. Come to Wisconsin I'll take you along I'm going tomorrow could not fine wax worms till yesterday. 

I would if I had the time. A guy I know keeps meal worms alive all year in a 5 gal bucket. That is what we used. I’ve got a few jigs and things but a jig tipped with a meal worm slayed about 50 bluegill in one afternoon the last time I went. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SASW6 said:

We use to go to Mille Lacs in MN and one of the guide services we used the guy had just bought a  Aqua View this was when they first came out he came out to our shack wanted to test it out we weren't catching a thing put the camera in hear there was perch all a round looking at my minnow so yes you can see them but you cant make them bite so I don't see an advantage to having a camera      

If you know fish are present, you at least have some chance of catching them.  Setting over barren water not so much.  I have a friend Tom lives in the UP- fishes lake superior.  He has a camera. Helps avoid little fish and is entertaining to watch he says.   One of his friends  in  a neighboring shack lost his camera last thing he saw was the throat of a giant pike. cab

• Haha 3

When I was living in NY we fished every weekend there was ice.  One of my buddies had a camera and his brother in law had a fish finder, everyone had power augers they both had gas and I have an electric.  We would hit the ice using the fish finder to get into a good spot, the camera was fun to watch fish hit the minnow with.

not to hijack the thread:rolleyes:

if you find the perch are ''tight lipped'' they are hardware shy.

I use 1/64 oz tube jig hook or smaller.

hook the minnow threw the lower lip only.

this will let the jig fold back along side the minow and it can swim freely.

Mike

• Like 1

Why is it that when I see an ice fishing rod I am immediately reminded of the movie grumpy old men ? 

;)

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, bitty said:

Why is it that when I see an ice fishing rod I am immediately reminded of the movie grumpy old men ? 

;)

It’s because you have good taste!

6 minutes ago, bitty said:

;)

They filmed that on the north end of Mille Lacs we always fished on the south end and it dose look like that with all the shanty's we would stay out there and fish day and night all weekend.  

• Like 1

Ice fishing for me reminds me of a weekend in college that I spent with a gal I knew back then.

That particular winter was especially cold and the ice was REALLY thick!  As in 60+ inches thick on the lake that her father’s dairy was near.  When I heard that people were unable to drill through the ice with hand augers I suggested that we put an auger on the back of her dad’s tractor and go drill holes.

The next morning after chores we were putting a 3 point hitch auger on the back of a Magnum and drilling holes for $5? apiece.   Even after giving her dad half (or more) of our proceeds we thought that we were rolling in high cotton.

Now if only I could remember who she was.  I just found out nine months ago that I have been remembering the wrong name all of these years.....

3 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

It’s because you have good taste!

Yea reminds me of that movie too , how's them green hornet fishing rods workin?

13 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

Yea reminds me of that movie too , how's them green hornet fishing rods workin?

I’ve still got a buddy that calls me moron and I call him putz once in a while. Oddly enough we fished a lot together before we got married and had families. 

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I’ve still got a buddy that calls me moron and I call him putz once in a while. Oddly enough we fished a lot together before we got married and had families. 

I’ve also had dead fish put in/under my scout by friends when I got married years ago. Wasn’t in the back seat like the movie but you get the picture ?

• Like 2