Was thinking on biding on new Deere combine

1 minute ago, Wi Ih said:

Wonder if it hit low bridge?

My guess is that the truck rolled.  Just a guess.

2 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

My guess is that the truck rolled.  Just a guess.

Now that you say that I followed one today on a trailer and it wasn’t any to stable going down the road 

11 minutes ago, Wi Ih said:

Wonder if it hit low bridge?

It’s been several years ago but I did run across a brand new jd air drill being delivered that tried to squeeze under a bridge. They had only been around a couple years and I’d guess the driver never thought anything about being 16’ tall

Not too long ago my friend was telling me about an accident where a guy was hauling a JD combine with brand new semi and lo boy.  First load with the truck!    Got in an accident, not truck driver fault, and totaled out the whole works.  

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, nate said:

Not too long ago my friend was telling me about an accident where a guy was hauling a JD combine with brand new semi and lo boy.  First load with the truck!    Got in an accident, not truck driver fault, and totaled out the whole works.  

Yes he actually lost it twice. First time it alid off stayed shiney side up. Second time it laid on its side. 

I suppose some custom operation that has a couple of them might benefit from owning it for part, or a dealer parting it out but otherwise what would you do with it? 

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I suppose some custom operation that has a couple of them might benefit from owning it for part, or a dealer parting it out but otherwise what would you do with it? 

Most likely to go to a large salvage yard. I’ve heard of them buying brand new undamaged tractors just because they could sell the parts for more than the price of the machine!

When I covered the yard at work, one rule of accepting combines was you climbed on top and looked for damage. I don't know how many cab roofs and grain tank extensions we replaced, but it was a lot. Temporary stop lights may give, but they sure are hard on plastic roof caps!

The above combine probably could be repaired, but I sure wouldn't want to be a long term owner of it. I bet every panel on that thing is stressed one way or another. 

My question to fixing these up is how arent they a complete nightmare unless you know them inside and out as much as those that designed them?  Lots of different configurations on newer machines, module software compatibility, harness differences etc.  I'd have to imagine if you bought all new parts through deere it would be a wash on any savings. 

Anything's possible with money and time, but those 2 things are tough to come by anymore.  

I sincerely doubt it will be rebuilt . 

Have you picked up a machinery catalog lately ?    There’s literally thousands of used combines for sale across the country that you can climb in and use immediately for less then that one is going to cost . 

• Like 2

From the looks of that hit it's almost certainly racked out of square. 

I'd say train wreck. Something collected it while chained down to a flatcar.

13 hours ago, nate said:

Im pretty sure THIS is that combine. 

• Thanks 1

Wasn't there a couple stories/pictures on a few agtalk sites this summer showing that 2 new Deere combines fell off of truck trailers over the course of 2 or 3 days?

As far as rebuilding it....I'm sure Mother Deere has records of EVERY serial # of every gearbox/engine/powertrain component on that machine. If you put any of those serial#s into Deere's warranty system, I'm sure you'll find an asterisk beside the # that indicates the machine was destroyed/salvaged...so I'm sure there is NO warranty on any component on that machine anymore.

This reminds me of a couple interesting stories regarding a rebuilt 9300 series Quadtrac I dealt with 20 years ago back when they were new.

Story #1. Supposedly there were 4 like-new Quadtracs in the same building somewhere in Florida. The building caught on fire damaging most of the equipment inside it. 3 of the Quads were supposedly burnt beyond recognition....the 4th one was considered totaled, but wasn't hurt as bad. A guy that lived/farmed 2/3 hours southeast of me bought this tractor from the insurance company...with the whole intention of rebuilding the tractor for his own personal use on his farm; he had no intentions of selling it. He bought a complete new cab assembly from the local CaseIH dealer, also a complete undercarriage for one track, the track itself, and a new hood for it as well. Supposedly, the fire ruined the block of the N14 Cummins, so he got a used block from a truck salvage yard in Minnesota, and proceeded to get Cummins parts from several Cummins dealers in Sioux Falls(seemed like every truck dealer in Sioux Falls knew this guy and the project he was working on). Shortly after he got this tractor all running and in good working order....his wife filed for divorce. Part of the divorce settlement was that they had to sell the tractor. So he took it to Weiman's in Marion to their big machinery auction.

Story #2. A customer of mine bought this tractor at the Weiman auction. I'm really not sure if he had any intentions of buying it before he went to the sale...he already had one 9370 Quad and a 9280 with triples...he really didn't need another tractor. I assume once the bidding got going he just thought "That's cheap"...and promptly ended up with it. He brought it to our dealership and thought it was under warranty as it only had 3/400 hours on the hourmeter(like I say, I don't think he did his homework as far as what background this tractor had come from before he purchased it). When my service manager entered the serial # into CaseIH's warranty system.....nothing showed up in the system as far as build date/component serial #/warranty start date information was concerned. My service manager had been dealing with CaseIH warranty for years and couldn't understand why no information was showing up on the serial # of this machine, so he contacted our CaseIH territory rep. who got to looking into it further. He finally had to call somebody in Racine who knew about the whole story. The tractor was destroyed/salvaged as far as CaseIH was concerned...so it more or less disappeared from all their records. We were even told that we should remove all CaseIH insignia(decals, serial # plates, etc) from this tractor to protect CaseIH legally in the case of a lawsuit over it. I guess we never did remove the decals, etc. and actually that guy used that tractor for probably 7-8 years before trading it in to another dealership and overall had very few problems with it. My old boss would never take it in trade as he was afraid the whole serial# problem could result in a lawsuit against the dealership.

I'm thinking he flopped it unloading it and rolled it or it fell off in transit.  I would think if it hit a bridge it would have even more damage would it not?

Either way, that's pretty expensive green paint!  Hope the receiving dealer signed the bill of lading as "Some damage" :O)

13 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Typically not.  But there are still records.

Then there is your buddy.  Henry/Gaeton/_________.......

Your buddy 

Driving i80 to work everyday i see a few new deere combines on trailers.  Iirc they are on blocks as low to the trailer as they can get with wheels off an tied down elsewhere on trailer.  Always looked pretty stable to me. Think they are on lowboy trailers as well.  Maybe they are not as stable as they look? 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, SDman said:

Wasn't there a couple stories/pictures on a few agtalk sites this summer showing that 2 new Deere combines fell off of truck trailers over the course of 2 or 3 days?

As far as rebuilding it....I'm sure Mother Deere has records of EVERY serial # of every gearbox/engine/powertrain component on that machine. If you put any of those serial#s into Deere's warranty system, I'm sure you'll find an asterisk beside the # that indicates the machine was destroyed/salvaged...so I'm sure there is NO warranty on any component on that machine anymore.

This reminds me of a couple interesting stories regarding a rebuilt 9300 series Quadtrac I dealt with 20 years ago back when they were new.

Story #1. Supposedly there were 4 like-new Quadtracs in the same building somewhere in Florida. The building caught on fire damaging most of the equipment inside it. 3 of the Quads were supposedly burnt beyond recognition....the 4th one was considered totaled, but wasn't hurt as bad. A guy that lived/farmed 2/3 hours southeast of me bought this tractor from the insurance company...with the whole intention of rebuilding the tractor for his own personal use on his farm; he had no intentions of selling it. He bought a complete new cab assembly from the local CaseIH dealer, also a complete undercarriage for one track, the track itself, and a new hood for it as well. Supposedly, the fire ruined the block of the N14 Cummins, so he got a used block from a truck salvage yard in Minnesota, and proceeded to get Cummins parts from several Cummins dealers in Sioux Falls(seemed like every truck dealer in Sioux Falls knew this guy and the project he was working on). Shortly after he got this tractor all running and in good working order....his wife filed for divorce. Part of the divorce settlement was that they had to sell the tractor. So he took it to Weiman's in Marion to their big machinery auction.

Story #2. A customer of mine bought this tractor at the Weiman auction. I'm really not sure if he had any intentions of buying it before he went to the sale...he already had one 9370 Quad and a 9280 with triples...he really didn't need another tractor. I assume once the bidding got going he just thought "That's cheap"...and promptly ended up with it. He brought it to our dealership and thought it was under warranty as it only had 3/400 hours on the hourmeter(like I say, I don't think he did his homework as far as what background this tractor had come from before he purchased it). When my service manager entered the serial # into CaseIH's warranty system.....nothing showed up in the system as far as build date/component serial #/warranty start date information was concerned. My service manager had been dealing with CaseIH warranty for years and couldn't understand why no information was showing up on the serial # of this machine, so he contacted our CaseIH territory rep. who got to looking into it further. He finally had to call somebody in Racine who knew about the whole story. The tractor was destroyed/salvaged as far as CaseIH was concerned...so it more or less disappeared from all their records. We were even told that we should remove all CaseIH insignia(decals, serial # plates, etc) from this tractor to protect CaseIH legally in the case of a lawsuit over it. I guess we never did remove the decals, etc. and actually that guy used that tractor for probably 7-8 years before trading it in to another dealership and overall had very few problems with it. My old boss would never take it in trade as he was afraid the whole serial# problem could result in a lawsuit against the dealership.

A trucker left Iowa with a new one headed to Oklahoma, first time it slid off on its belly and stayed upright. Second time it laid on its side. Killens custom harvesting from Minnesota bought it and refurbished the machine. 

17 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Driving i80 to work everyday i see a few new deere combines on trailers.  Iirc they are on blocks as low to the trailer as they can get with wheels off an tied down elsewhere on trailer.  Always looked pretty stable to me. Think they are on lowboy trailers as well.  Maybe they are not as stable as they look? 🤷‍♂️

What I have seen is most are on a lowboy, but occasionally they are on a step deck. They don’t ship them on tires anymore. I have hauled several used combines of different sizes and ages all complete with tires, and I don’t see the advantage of not having tires on them.