Ash widow maker ?

560Dennis

High wind and snow took this tree limb down. I don’t trust and ash ever , I just got a fever to get widow maker on the ground. I watch some videos and ask some friends about my ash issues. I posting only to stress don’t get into this situation. I hope this is the time I have to do this . Moral of the story is take your time and get the notch pumpkin center pull it over away from limbs enough to land . I pull from the wrong angle , never thought the limbs would hold ,but they did ??There no good way to get them down , that’s why they are widow makers . 

Just now, 560Dennis said:

High wind and snow took this tree limb down. I don’t trust and ash ever , I just got a fever to get widow maker on the ground. I watch some videos and ask some friends about my ash issues. I posting only to stress don’t get into this situation. I hope this is the time I have to do this . Moral of the story is take your time and get the notch pumpkin center pull it over away from limbs enough to land . I pull from the wrong angle , never thought the limbs would hold ,but they did ??There no good way to get them down , that’s why they are widow makers . 

9DB4CA50-DF0C-4EB3-974D-C30EB5780CB4.jpeg

773F4911-4692-4D86-BF59-93A2AF32A67E.jpeg

4A482F20-2503-45F8-A50E-E4A65BA7B499.jpeg

07129EF2-03C5-4549-871E-C876D5D1930A.jpeg

751E54E0-1A5D-4C10-B5AA-FAB0C7597068.jpeg

80A6E5BA-BBAF-41C8-83C1-2E1BBF328AD6.jpeg

I took down dozens of those when they first started dieing off. I still missed a few deep in the woodlot. They are quite dead now and gravity can take them.

Ash is prone to splitting up the trunk after wedging it to drop it. I have plenty to drop here yet. Last week I clear cut around a few oaks we planted to allow them space to grow. Only one ash in the bunch but I had the 12 year old push with the wheel loader to verify that all fell down the correct way. Fence row trees leaning out and I wanted to keep the mess in the woods

Because they are dead they don't react like a live tree. No leaves ,no sap the branches don't have as much weight. They don't sag from gravity. 

16 minutes ago, bitty said:

Ash is prone to splitting up the trunk after wedging it to drop it. I have plenty to drop here yet. Last week I clear cut around a few oaks we planted to allow them space to grow. Only one ash in the bunch but I had the 12 year old push with the wheel loader to verify that all fell down the correct way. Fence row trees leaning out and I wanted to keep the mess in the woods

Lost a neighbor to an ash shank , so it was very tense today , something you don’t forget. Was bothering me all the i was out  there . 
tried to overdo the safety cause can never tell  ,cause this old man can’t sprint-faster than gravity  , beside when this one broke shank and went down in and instant. ??‍♂️ 
Better I give it up . Last one on the place so thankfully ? 

See the big Ash in front of my house inside the fence? 44” diameter, picture was taken in early July when I noticed it was losing its leaves . Totally dead now, more than I can handle. 

Have 2 estimates to remove it, both include a crane, both in the $3,500.00 range.

It’s leaning away from the house but I’m worried about one of bigger branches on the house side getting a load of snow/ice and dropping on the roof.

84BFB28C-4D77-426C-851E-A7A4B0725292.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Dave Downs said:

See the big Ash in front of my house inside the fence? 44” diameter, picture was taken in early July when I noticed it was losing its leaves . Totally dead now, more than I can handle. 

Have 2 estimates to remove it, both include a crane, both in the $3,500.00 range.

It’s leaning away from the house but I’m worried about one of bigger branches on the house side getting a load of snow/ice and dropping on the roof.

That a nice place looks well kept.

Wow that’s a huge tree, I can only imagine the firewood from that! We don’t have a lot of ash around here, mostly along creeks and in draws, and they sure don’t grow that big. I have been cutting a fair bit lately for firewood, some dead fall and some standing dead. I always make sure to notch them before I fell. Actually I notch just about anything I take down, it eliminates a lot of the splitting off at the end of the cut and greatly reduces the risk of the tree rolling and going down wrong. Years ago I was in a hurry and skipped the notching step and the tree rolled and just about tagged me. I learned my lesson from that one.

54 minutes ago, Dave Downs said:

Had the same issue with a 300 year old lightning struck white oak. I paid $1500.00 to have them lay it down(with a 110' bucket). Then whittled it up myself. Milled up some beams and live edge slabs on site with a chainsaw mill. The rest is firewood.

Screenshot_20201223-185413_Facebook.jpg

I had 8 of those 30+ dia, 100+ tall Ash trees around my house. 5 I flopped, 3 I had to pay 3900 for a tree service with a crane to take down. They did chip everything 6" and smaller so that saved me a lot of work. The first 5 I chipped it all and cleaned everything up, but that was in the early spring and it was cool.  Now, I have hundreds of them in my woodlot to cut down.

3 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

I had 8 of those 30+ dia, 100+ tall Ash trees around my house. 5 I flopped, 3 I had to pay 3900 for a tree service with a crane to take down. They did chip everything 6" and smaller so that saved me a lot of work. The first 5 I chipped it all and cleaned everything up, but that was in the early spring and it was cool.  Now, I have hundreds of them in my woodlot to cut down.

They are buying them here now if they aren't to far gone. Someone figured out there won't be no more.Ever.

4 hours ago, Dave Downs said:

Love them PA. stone houses.

I had 2 - 80' plus cotton woods in front of the folks house that have needed to come down for years that I finally got this summer.

Rented a 120' JLG boom lift over the weekend and got after it.

The $1200.00 for rental was way cheaper than the $3500 estimate to take them down from the tree guy.

• Thanks 1

I had a 48" in the yard that slowly died over a period of years and I got tired of picking up after it. It was right in the power line so I wouldn't mess with it so I had a tree service take it and a maple that was going too. I had them grind the stumps as well. I wasn't home when they ground the stumps as I would have asked them to go deeper. Sadly I heard the same guy who did the grinding somehow got caught up in the machine a couple of months later and was killed.

Power company has been in a proactive stance and has been clearing the lines everywhere. I pointed out the dead and dying ash trees along the right of way that's my drive and they took them all down! They put the logs in my neighbor's yard as he wanted the wood and I just don't want to cut and split anymore; they chipped the rest. They were there for a few days and it was all free!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dave Downs said:

? I recommend sooner the better take down. From personal experience I would get a pro with a crane boom truck . Get plenty of proof insurance ,and references . Yours is not an easy drop , might be rot in the notch trunk. Crane would take it down piece by piece. I’m not an arborist so just my opinion . Look like there another tree over there to hang it up  or twist ,ugly .

I hate that notched tree ,water gets down the notch ,freezing and it rots ,shame nice shade tree . 
I ve taken down eight in the yard since I moved in . 

4 hours ago, Doc Egor said:

I had 2 - 80' plus cotton woods in front of the folks house that have needed to come down for years that I finally got this summer.

Rented a 120' JLG boom lift over the weekend and got after it.

The $1200.00 for rental was way cheaper than the $3500 estimate to take them down from the tree guy.

Yeah, I bought a used stump grinder for less than they wanted to do the stumps. Even with the grinder, an Ash stump is something to reckon with.  These 3 had to have a crane, there was no place to lower. They used the crane to put the climber in the tree. Even as efficient as they were, it still took just over 8 hours to take 3 trees down. The last picture is the old R-200 hauling one of the butt logs. The 873 actually picked that up. There's some old school muscle.

Bills phone 112020 116.JPG

Bills phone 112020 127.JPG

Bills phone 112020 128.JPG

A widow maker around here is any tree or nearby tree with a compromised or dead limb hanging that when you drop the tree it bumps another tree and the widow maker falls causing injury or worse . I dropped a tree last year and it hit a tree 30' away and that had a branch that bounced back towards me and hit a tree between me and it. I had to replace my underwear but I was fortunate to have no injury

• Thanks 1

Beech was usually the worst around here as it was almost always rotten inside. I once touched the side of a beech to notch it and the tree collapsed and dropped 6' and fell over

I make people nervous. Neighbors have stopped and offered to be there to call 911 for me when I fall.  I have a 40’ ladder and will go up that far, hook a chain, then use 200-300’ of Chain, whatever it takes, to get to a tractor. Notch. Pull. And hope for the best. I gave a guy $750 to lay one down once, 19 years ago, (so they’d get $1500 or 2000 today) and my wife says they were here with the boom truck for about a half hour.   Tree guys are good. And safety is important. But man they charge a lot.  

If you are going to to be taking down  ash, or oak i strongly urge you to study and become proficient in the plunge cut/Swedish felling technique, it is somewhat time consuming but virtually eliminates the possibility of barber chair. Makes it much easier to steer too.