More Pork

jeeper61

The New COVID-19 legislation just passed contains more pork than a Christmas ham.

The legislation adds not one but  two National Mall museums, $10 million for “gender programs” in Pakistan and $2.5 million for “internet freedom.”

The 5,593-page package wasn’t available until around 2 p.m. Monday before it passed in the House around 9 p.m. and in the Senate before midnight.

Here are a list of items — other than the main COVID-19 relief — the bill contains:

• $4 billion for New York’s MTA as part of bailouts for mass-transit systems.
  • $15 billion earmarked toward grant programs for live entertainment venues such as Broadway.
  • $7 billion toward expanding broadband access.
  • $1.4 billion for a construction of a wall on the southern US border.
  • A new law saying that violating copyright laws with unauthorized online streaming will become a felony punishable by five years in prison for first offenses and 10 years for repeat offensives. Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC) pushed the provision.
  • A rule saying the US Postal Service can no longer deliver e-cigarettes.
  • New museums on the National Mall that will focus on Latinos and women, which were pushed by Sen. Robert Menendez (D-NJ) and Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY).  
  • $500 million  earmarked for Israeli defense purchases, including to equip the Iron Dome missile defense system.
  • $250 million over five years for Palestinian economic aid, which was pushed by New York Democratic Rep. Nita Lowey.
  • $101 million to combat “the transnational threat of wildlife poaching and trafficking.”
  • $2.5 million for “Internet freedom programs in closed societies”
  • $10 million for “gender programs” meant to help women get education and start businesses in Pakistan.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) celebrated passage of the bill.

“The Senate just passed another major bipartisan, COVID-19 relief package,” he said. “The American people can rest assured that more help is on the way, immediately.”

• Sad 2

We should all be outraged by this,  which is business as normal in DC! How can they claim this is economic relief due to the Covid issue if most of it is not related in anyway to covid?

It seems to be the only way they get things done, if other bills get tacked on.

A heck of a way to do business.

• Like 3

I'm not saying I agree with any or all of the pork projects listed, but to say that they are included in the COVID-19 bill is a bit misleading. In actuality, the COVID legislation was added to the existing omnibus bill that includes all these silly/ special interest items. The way I understand it, both sides agreed to this addition, because the felt that was the best and / or easiest way to pass the COVID bill. Whether it was added or not, those other projects were being pushed through congress.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Red Collector said:

I'm not saying I agree with any or all of the pork projects listed, but to say that they are included in the COVID-19 bill is a bit misleading. In actuality, the COVID legislation was added to the existing omnibus bill that includes all these silly/ special interest items. The way I understand it, both sides agreed to this addition, because the felt that was the best and / or easiest way to pass the COVID bill. Whether it was added or not, those other projects were being pushed through congress.

Not any more misleading then our elected officials are with the general public. 

Basically they couldn't get the job done stand alone for months but use the COVID relief to cover the pork and its done, sad

And everyone should be POed about providing money for "boarder" security in Jordon while defunding ICE here 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, acem said:

They are not spending our money. 

They are spending our kids money!

Thx-Ace 

They spent your kids money years ago. We're at your great great great great grandchildren's money now.

• Sad 2

As taxpaying legal Americans,  both the Republicans and the Democrats have sold us downriver yet again.  My children and grandchildren will pay for this.  This appears to be the situation of any country about to flounder. Those in power grab as much as they can for their cronies,  the average person foots the bill until they are bled dry. The situation then gets really ugly when those in power still want the lavish lifestyle they've been having but no more ability to generate tax revenue to fund it. Then they get mean and take it out on the taxpayer.  People who are getting everything for free are rarely grateful.  They are greedy and feel they deserve it.  Whether welfare recipients or Washington cronies, watch how ugly they get when the teat runs dry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

They spent your kids money years ago. We're at your great great great great grandchildren's money now.

When this is over and done it’s going to be easier for them to say “ we have to abandon the current  US dollar and start a world currency...”

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, mikem said:

I heard this A.M. that there were 000000 $ for the restaurant industry.

You own a cafe---you are on your own.

Mike

There was quite a bit of money added to the payroll program they started in the spring for small businesses, so restaurants should be eligible for that, and from what I read last night they supposedly tightened regulations on the program to make it harder for the wrong people to scam the system and take money away from the people that need it, which is good. That slickster preacher Joel Oesteen with his two mansions got over $4,000,000 from that program last time around.

• Like 1

We are kind of unprecedented as a population in the fact that we are an armed force.  The army obviously is better armed but would they stand against their own people if ordered? We need to resist disarmament by all means necessary. We must all refuse to go along with the idea of world government.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Frank H said:

As taxpaying legal Americans,  both the Republicans and the Democrats have sold us downriver yet again.  My children and grandchildren will pay for this.  This appears to be the situation of any country about to flounder. Those in power grab as much as they can for their cronies,  the average person foots the bill until they are bled dry. The situation then gets really ugly when those in power still want the lavish lifestyle they've been having but no more ability to generate tax revenue to fund it. Then they get mean and take it out on the taxpayer.  People who are getting everything for free are rarely grateful.  They are greedy and feel they deserve it.  Whether welfare recipients or Washington cronies, watch how ugly they get when the teat runs dry.

As you said both parties the sad part is until the next cycle we have for the most part more of the same. The GOT JUNK truck can't get there fast enough.

Wish I could give that post 1000 likes

2 hours ago, gearheadmb said:

There was quite a bit of money added to the payroll program they started in the spring for small businesses, so restaurants should be eligible for that, and from what I read last night they supposedly tightened regulations on the program to make it harder for the wrong people to scam the system and take money away from the people that need it, which is good. That slickster preacher Joel Oesteen with his two mansions got over $4,000,000 from that program last time around.

I have respect for all men preaching the Gospel.  That being said, I would pay good money to punch that Osteen guy right in the face.  He's an agent of the devil. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Everyone is saying they spent our kids,grand kids, great grand kids money. This is not the case gentlemen, we will see the effects in a dramatic way in our life time within the next few years. Money can’t be spent that isn’t there with no side effect. The effects of this spending will be felt very soon and it doesn’t matter who you are, we will all be effected. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1