5488 repairs. Going deep inside!

5488Duke

Noticed a slight hesitation earlier this year on the 5488 when pulling out on road in even gears. So tested things this summer and with full throttle in high range odd gears and full brake pedals let clutch out and tried to stall tractor. Now switch to even gears and did the same... no loss of engine speed and clutch all the way out. Ok we have a problem. Pics below digging into it to find everything we need and get parts ordered.  

3F9C5BF2-3A3A-45B1-9DE0-9B6487235076.jpeg

38156F91-D5C6-4122-A3B3-1751A999926A.jpeg

F1F69E77-9848-4808-A4AF-33911072D4A5.jpeg

9D2E96D6-E001-459F-926C-C68E4AA040DF.jpeg

6FEF6E15-61CB-4C66-8184-FB1D8D405256.jpeg

3A50DFE4-165F-462B-A5F3-33D08F4B2EBF.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Well it’s all part and it wasn’t as bad as we thought it might be. Speed section taken out and disassembled. Even side had a cut oring but discs are very smooth can barely  see cross hatches in discs on both side. Took master clutch out and disassembled. Those disc were slightly worse. All gears and shaft components were in great shape.  

3-point hitch was acting up so took that all out to check draft valve and lift cylinder orings.  Will also go in and do brake discs. 

tractor has just over 8,000 hours on it. 

A4CE1CFD-D519-4C4B-B023-69C5062DBFD3.jpeg

CB1E4857-1F2B-40E9-AD5A-332E4F196CDD.jpeg

34DC99F2-1E25-44D1-A7D8-AD0238FE5380.jpeg

67B88F13-39C4-4C12-B90A-23A996390FF0.jpeg

1A0CE28C-9BB0-4A7F-84BA-86E7BC3E35B6.jpeg

• Like 3

My big problem was I had a tooth popped off on the 5th 6th gear in the speed transmission. But I also decided to replace the park lock gear because it had some damage. Decided to tear it all apart and look at everything while I was in there. Replacing all clutch discs resealing everything. Got most of my parts from Mike. 

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

nothing short of impressed - i cant even in my wildest dreams tearing into something like that, you guys that do this stuff are amazing

I always used to read through service manuals back when I was little and think "holy crap how would you keep track of all this".  Now after doing it for years, it's no different than building/remodeling a house, or any other tedious job.  It's all just step by step work, organization.......and of course time.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Delta88 said:

Do you split between the range and speed and roll the speed transmission out with the front end first? 

Yes that is what we did, then can lift speed transmission off front engine half once its out.  This also exposes master clutch under cab for easy removal also.

2 hours ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

Loren were any of the teflons on master clutch broke.  They like to break the hooks on the ends

No teflon looked real good and so did all of the thrust washers, but I have seen those crack and break, so those will be new also.

2 hours ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

Yep been there once or twice. Remember i sell the whole update kit brgs, seals, teflons, master clutch , flex plate, and all for $2500.  Save big dollars over dealer

Mike

I knew I should have checked with you, but dealer treats us really well on discounts and stock buys when we aren't in a hurry.  So i went that route...will have to compare once i get the bill.  Bet you would have saved us some still.  

Changing all the hoses, gaskets, heater valves and just little things that start leaking around the engine. Fitting rubbers, seals etc. A lot easier to do when its more in the open.  Cab mounts updated also.  

Mike do you ever see issue with range sync discs?  wasn't planning on going into range, but just asking...this far in..do we check other discs?  also MFD discs?  

32 minutes ago, 5488Duke said:

Changing all the hoses, gaskets, heater valves and just little things that start leaking around the engine. Fitting rubbers, seals etc. A lot easier to do when its more in the open.  Cab mounts updated also.  

Mike do you ever see issue with range sync discs?  wasn't planning on going into range, but just asking...this far in..do we check other discs?  also MFD discs?  

As rule no.  If u werent having problems probably ok.  U can pull it out the front of range.  Shafts are hravy.  As long as brgs are good no neex to pull range housing

40 minutes ago, 5488Duke said:

I knew I should have checked with you, but dealer treats us really well on discounts and stock buys when we aren't in a hurry.  So i went that route...will have to compare once i get the bill.  Bet you would have saved us some still.  

You are not putting the "IH Updates" in are ya.  It will be costly and your ground will be cut down.  When u do the IH updates they go from 55t even gear to a 44t even which slows tractor way down.  Also when u want to down shift the gear is virtually nothing.  Reason.  Odd gear stays 39t.  The even goes to 44t thats only a 5 tooth diff instead of 55t which is 16t diff.  Huge difference

2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

nothing short of impressed - i cant even in my wildest dreams tearing into something like that, you guys that do this stuff are amazing

A fellow i worked for in Texas in 70s has a grandson who was a 06 high school grad. The kid won the national Chevron tractor restoration contest in 06 doing a 826. Out of high school went to work for Hlavinca, spelling?, CIH dealer in i believe East Bernard Texas.  Went to see them in 2013 and he told me about his experiences with the STX 4x4 powershift rebuilds. He learned to do them in house at the dealership from the manual. His 1st one took 90 hrs, said he had a long bench and just laid it all out in sequence of the disassembly process and just reversed on assembly. He got real good at it doing dozens of them as Hlavincas were one of the top in sales of STX tractors, maybe the top. They got him a service truck to go to the Quarries in north TX, they flew him to Africa, most of what he done was the STX powershift rebuilds. He could beat the factory reman price by about half. Seems like he said he could do 2 a week in the customers shop once he got onto it.

24 minutes ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

You are not putting the "IH Updates" in are ya.  It will be costly and your ground will be cut down.  When u do the IH updates they go from 55t even gear to a 44t even which slows tractor way down.  Also when u want to down shift the gear is virtually nothing.  Reason.  Odd gear stays 39t.  The even goes to 44t thats only a 5 tooth diff instead of 55t which is 16t diff.  Huge difference

I think it has the IH update already done. So coarse teeth gears already in there. I think it has the keyed shafts which means IH update package.  We’ve had this one for 9 years now. Not much in repairs done to it by us so far until now.  

6 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

A fellow i worked for in Texas in 70s has a grandson who was a 06 high school grad. The kid won the national Chevron tractor restoration contest in 06 doing a 826. Out of high school went to work for Hlavinca, spelling?, CIH dealer in i believe East Bernard Texas.  Went to see them in 2013 and he told me about his experiences with the STX 4x4 powershift rebuilds. He learned to do them in house at the dealership from the manual. His 1st one took 90 hrs, said he had a long bench and just laid it all out in sequence of the disassembly process and just reversed on assembly. He got real good at it doing dozens of them as Hlavincas were one of the top in sales of STX tractors, maybe the top. They got him a service truck to go to the Quarries in north TX, they flew him to Africa, most of what he done was the STX powershift rebuilds. He could beat the factory reman price by about half. Seems like he said he could do 2 a week in the customers shop once he got onto it.

Experience is the key. We have had three different 50 series and been into each one over the years for this and that. Also a magnum that we did a clutch on. So splitting them is getting easy to do. Have a good friend that was a caseih mechanic and he does all the torque spec and bearing load stuff so that helps.  He works full time doing mechanic work on farms in area.  

1 hour ago, 5488Duke said:

I think it has the IH update already done. So coarse teeth gears already in there. I think it has the keyed shafts which means IH update package.  We’ve had this one for 9 years now. Not much in repairs done to it by us so far until now.  

Oh ok.  Well u already have the 44t even.  You have to stay with that