Anymore none of them last like in the past it seems to me..................My brother gets good group 31's they take out of various things, brings them home and will swamp them out with woofed 31's we got for the cores.  Last few were some goofy brand but seem to work ok, got 2 in the 560 and its working well.  My wife and son are stopping tonight for a L&G battery for our gator that ate itself when it got cold the other night.  Not sure what brand they will get.  All the bouncing that sees nothing seems to last in it, but it does stop and start a bunch of times over the course of a day.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I buy all my batteries at work, have never had an issue with a Cat battery. The are made by East Penn Manufacturing, the largest maker of batteries in the US also known as Deka. One thing ev

Interstates are junk now. Best luck I've had was with deka

I’ve had good luck with delco but I always buy one with 3 year warranty, I’ve seen all brands fail 

When I worked at the Deere dealership in the late 90's their "strongbox" batteries were made by Exide. We literally had pallets full of them to return for warranty. When I went to the national expo in Kansas city one year I stopped at the Exide booth and asked them why they made such a crappy battery. The rep said "don't blame us, Deere specs less plates, and we build them the way they want them".  That's bad on so many levels I hate to even think about it. When I worked for a standby generator company in the early 90's, all our contract customers got new batteries every 2 years. That was about as long as we could 100% guarantee they would turn over the genset. And, we used primarily DEKA batteries as being the best at the time. Never had to worry about buying a battery when I worked there :-)

5 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Anymore none of them last like in the past it seems to me..................My brother gets good group 31's they take out of various things, brings them home and will swamp them out with woofed 31's we got for the cores.  Last few were some goofy brand but seem to work ok, got 2 in the 560 and its working well.  My wife and son are stopping tonight for a L&G battery for our gator that ate itself when it got cold the other night.  Not sure what brand they will get.  All the bouncing that sees nothing seems to last in it, but it does stop and start a bunch of times over the course of a day.

Get a sealed wheelchair battery if you want something to hold up in the Gator. Mine is going on 10 years. Or, at least the heavy duty version of the U-1. There is a huge variation in quality of that size battery. If you can get 2 years out of a cheap one, you're doing good.

I just replaced the last original in my 03 Duramax this year, AC Delco, the other was about 5 years ago and really you should replace in pairs but 17 yrs I thought was good service on the one, not sure they are as good today?

I know dealership prices and parts are kind of tough to swallow sometimes but really certain items are cheaper in the long run, batteries and brakes being a couple immediately that comes to mind 

I've got 15 year old Walmart batteries in a 786. I never even look at them. I was always buying Delco as my sister worked for a distributor and the 50% off on the top pf the line was really attractive. She's retired so that door is closed.

My theory now is to buy the top of the line in whatever brand and hope for the best. It's been paying off. I've had no issues with Walmart's best nor with anyone else's best. I also check the charging systems if there's any question. It seems that after 7-8 years it may be borrowed time so at the first hint, an unexpected slow crank, for instance, it's time to replace.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, oleman said:

The last battery I purchased came from Walmart. It has a 3 year replacement warrantee and is backed by the largest retailer on Earth. I probably don't need to know about the people that actually poured the lead to make the plates that are in it.

I agree with you with 7 cars and trucks , 2 motor cycles, 3 tractors for the last 4 years have been using Walmart with absolutely no problems ?

For atv’s, bikes and recreational vehicles the gel seems to last better, I’m gonna jinx myself here but on my street bikes I never ever made it to 2 yr, be about another month of riding left and they would pooch and then sit all winter, this last one is on probably year 4 or 5 

• Like 1

I bought my 5288 in 2002 and put in new Interstate MT 24's. Still in there but getting weak. I think I'll go with Deka or AC Delco when I replace them, probably a group 31.  I get the best price on Deka. CaseIH batteries used to be made by Exide, not sure if they still are. 

i buy all mine from a brand X no name place - they also handle seconds usually a case defect/molding anomaly, havent noticed a bit of difference in them vs anything else outside of a price that is half that of wally world, oreallys, adv auto, etc...

There’s a deka plant local to me in Fleetwood PA. If you go to the plant you can go to the company store (just sign in at the security shack and say I’m going to the store) and buy “blems”. Mostly batteries that have a defect in the case or something minor. They’re like half price and I’ve had really good luck with them for tractors, pickups, whatever.  I don’t know if all deka plants are that way but if your nearby it can save you some coin!!

11 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

What do you think the best brand is for vehicle batteries?

I ht are you putting this in? I always wanted to put an optima dry cell deep cycle battery in my jeep. Currently i have a deep cycle from my camper in it been there for about 7 years. So far so good. Jeep doesn’t need the CCA but does need the deep cycle for the winch. 

i don't usually buy chinese junk  but i get our batteries from rural king, they are less than half price on commom car size batteries. sometimes they last sometimes they don't. pretty hassle free warranty.

Got super start from Oreily's. 4 years old in 95 Dodge 5.9 diesel that runs Boss v-type snow plow. Still seen to be holding up good.

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I ht are you putting this in? I always wanted to put an optima dry cell deep cycle battery in my jeep. Currently i have a deep cycle from my camper in it been there for about 7 years. So far so good. Jeep doesn’t need the CCA but does need the deep cycle for the winch. 

Duramax Silverado so I need two group 78s

Looking around I thinking about Walmart they have 800 CCA at $88 each 3 yr warranty I think they are Johnson Controls made.

I have a 0ptima Yellow in my ZR2 the only place I could fit a battery was on its side under the overflow tank.

Going on its side need to be a dry cell they aren't cheep it was $280 

0ptima Yellow has both side and top post, winch to the side post with bolts and top post to the other battery with a manual isolate switch.

• Like 1

Original Kubota L48 battery lasted 9 years. Replaced with a cheap Champion from Kmart one night in an emergency lasted 7.5. '99 Dodge/Cummins lasted 10. My Wood-Mizer specs a Deka 31. They last 6 years. First was a Carquest branded Deka. Cost $186. Last one bought this November was a DieHard branded Deka. Same battery, $121. The FleetRite (Navistar) 31 went 3 years in the Kubota and crapped out after a week in the Wood-Mizer. 

Worst part about the O'reilly battery is trying to convince the guy it won't stay charged. Had one in a 97 Yukon 3 times I had that battery in for testing. Left it with them for most of the day all 3 times. It would lose around 1.5 volts a week while unhooked.  Finally I told him to keep it went and bought something else sold the Yukon and I asked the new owner it is fine.

At work we use a rebranded deka battery we get from a truck parts supplier.  I think the prices are fair and they last good.  We used exude 15 years ago.  Those things would not last for anything and ALWAYS seemed to corrode the terminals.  

9 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

We used to use Interstate with an average of 20-30 batteries a year some years i have seen what I consider to be an excessive failure rate with no explanation. They stand behind them and i like the interstate dealer but have switched to NAPA batteries, so far so good and my NAPA delivers and picks up old cores so it has that going for it. 

DEKA batteries here. Local NAPA dealer sells DEKA & NAPA brand, he  said east of the Mississippi that DEKA makes the NAPA batteries.

• Thanks 1

My 5 year case study As the cool weather hit this fall both my 7.3 DIESELS needed 2 group 65 batteries.  My f350 had 62 month old Farm & Fleet Gold batteries. Farm & Fleet credited me $28 for each battery under the pro rated warranty and sold me 2 new platinum batteries $105 with 36 month free replacement and 84 months pro rated warranty. Cost me $149 out of pocket. 
Wife’s excursion had Napa Legend batteries that were 40 months old.  Napa tested them said they were failed and replacement battery's with pro rated warranty would have cost me $100 out of pocket BUT Warranty warranty on replacement batteries  1 year free replacement.  Pro rated warranty would have been original purchase date of first batteries.  So the Napa batteries got turned in as $10 cores at Farm & Fleet. with 36 month free replacement and 84 months of pro rated warranty. $185 out of pocket

Buyer be ware!!! 

11 hours ago, acem said:

More important to the life of your battery is the charging system. Bad wiring and overcharging/undercharging alternators shorten their life significantly. 

Thx-Ace 

Agreed.  Undercharging,   Lead acid battery plates sulfate each and  every time the battery is depleted below 50% of its amp hour rating, thus shortening the battery expected life. Overcharging boils off water,  If you can add distilled water not a big deal, but because of  “maintenance free” batteries sold these days makes  that task difficult if not impossible. 

Funny story on batteries. We've used every brand of battery I can think of and had good and bad in them all. Anyway we got on to these Canada Proof batteries, and had mixed results off the start. Some wouldn't make 2 years but warranty replaced them, and some died just past warranty. But we had quite a few on 4 or 5 years by then too. Anyway, I was in one of the CIH dealers one day and they had these Canada Proof group 31's on for something like 50 bucks a piece. But no warranty because they were clearing them out to switch to another supplier I guess. I really like deals like that so was gonna take a bunch right there but figured I better talk this through with the boss(dad) before I come home with a truck full of batteries with no warranty lol. We figured some that we've been buying made it just past warranty and died anyway so what have we got to lose. I bought 8 I think it was, and you know what? Not one has died. Been 3 years coming on 4 and they're all still good. Couple others we bought for the one truck had to be warrantied out but not these lol. I fully expected half then to be junk. I guess sometimes there's a win lol

Just looked and these Canada Proof are manufactured by Johnson Controls 

• Like 1

My 1586 had 2 walmart group 24s that I installed July of 13. One failed last week, unhooked ground and ran on one battery until I could get replacements. It runs daily on a feed wagon. The 2388 got exide group 31s from caseih dealer before harvest of 14 and still going strong. Sons 08 Honda rancher still has original battery, my 08 Rubicon has been replaced once since new. Son gets battery cores from local o'reillys that are "bad" and takes used up cores to replace them. We use them for electric fence chargers until completely junk. Son uses napa battery, likes warranty. Guess we've had good luck with many different brands, just dont get the economy or refurbished junk

16 minutes ago, 1958560 said:

My 1586 had 2 walmart group 24s that I installed July of 13. One failed last week, unhooked ground and ran on one battery until I could get replacements. It runs daily on a feed wagon. The 2388 got exide group 31s from caseih dealer before harvest of 14 and still going strong. Sons 08 Honda rancher still has original battery, my 08 Rubicon has been replaced once since new. Son gets battery cores from local o'reillys that are "bad" and takes used up cores to replace them. We use them for electric fence chargers until completely junk. Son uses napa battery, likes warranty. Guess we've had good luck with many different brands, just dont get the economy or refurbished junk

My 08 Rubicon is on original battery yet. I dont even bother unhooking it for winter since I run it the odd time. Just push the button and go. I'm waiting to see if the motor or battery lasts longer lol. We do same thing with batteries that get weak. Run em on the fencer till they won't take charge anymore 

Anyone try the Crown Batteries made in Fremont Ohio?

We have a couple they last about the same as the Interstate or the TSC ones. One has been in a #60 hough with a V6 cummins (Hard starting machine) for 4 years now.