4 cylinder Cummins into an IH tractor?

2 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Well, if it's going to the Amish, nothing makes sense with anything they do anyways... one of their preachers probably found out that Clessie Cummins had ties to their church or something.. Haha

don't get me going on how backward they are. Geesh :blink:

• Like 1
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love it. I'm not even involved. ?   I'd do a Cummins swap.  Think I can shoe horn a 4B into my 284?  If I thought I could and it wasn't overkill I would! Seriously looking at Kubota engines

But why?? The IH engines are much better than those sleeveless rattle trap cummins engines. 

I’m gonna start by saying I’ve never had the pleasure of owning a ih diesel we had 706 gas when I was a kid and I preferred it to other tractor s we had then because of how it drove straight on the ro

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Sask466 said:

It looks like the little 5.9 really holds it’s own in the fuel consumption department.  I am surprised the 504 non-turbo Case did as well as it did.

viewcontent.cgi?article=2623&context=tra

viewcontent.cgi?article=2493&context=tra

viewcontent.cgi?article=2664&context=tra

viewcontent.cgi?article=2912&context=tra

2 hours ago, Sask466 said:

From what I can tell of that test data, a fuel savings of 20 to 25% with a 5.9 swap looks possible, at least at these 100hp-ish outputs.  

I would be curious to see those tests rerun with the Cummins spun up to 2500rpm or the 1066 backed down to 2200rpm. I bet the gap would be closed considerably. 

Not exactly a perfect comparison, but as close as we will get with hard data. 

22CA15B7-4C17-49B0-86DD-FABBE9E64C7F.jpeg

469EA519-07C5-4573-9461-BD0FB153F81C.jpeg

This has been a most interesting thread to follow; I am going to toss a couple of my thoughts and experiences out there. I realize many of us that are vocal on here come from a fix it yourself background and our costs are different than the guy that goes to " franchised or full time shops".  But if you are doing things "right" and don't value your time and parts at what it would cost to have it done as well or better than you can, you are selling yourself short!

One) I cannot recall ever hearing back from anyone that bought one of our Cummins kits that was unhappy they went that route.  (Except for a guy that installed an unbalanced 4BT into a 656 )!  Most are dollars ahead or at least even for cost at the get go and have the fuel economy in their favor from then on.  In particular the older IH models fitted with the dry sleeve's, whether gas, glow plug variety or 361 /407 have gotten so pricey to rebuild properly that it leads to lots of them getting sold to salvage yards!  8 to 10 K+  for an out of frame overhaul, if you send block, crank and rods to the machine shop and have things done properly is the norm. And that usually won't cover injectors, a rebuilt fuel pump nor the turbo.  And if you don't do the block and crank through a machine shop you are running a good chance of a failure within a very short time.  Most of those engine blocks are 50 years old and have been heated and cooled so many times that the metal is fatigued and out of square, and many are to the point that they need align bored, decked and oversize sleeves (outer diameter) installed before the counter bores get cut and till that is done you can own an adapter kit.  On a D-282 or D-301 it is not uncommon to see $1500 and more on a cylinder head, till you fix a crack or two and then do a good valve job on it.  Try to buy an uncracked head for the same, if you can find one with the big valves, you can spend $1500 to purchase it and it still needs a trip to the machine shop.

two) We have sold kits all over the nation as well into Australia and S Africa, so the demand is not a local thing and demand is based on results.  Granted many of our buyers own or have access to an old Dodge pickup that rusted out and still has an engine in that they know its history and are comfortable with it to spend to install it.

three) 2K gets a plate, a 14" flywheel with ring gear that will use a factory IH produced clutch and diesel starter as well as a set of front mounts. Another $750 gets a tach drive that is accurate to a factory tach and a throttle linkage kit that works for correct travel. and for approx $500 more we can put a new Northern radiator in it that works for the lower radiator hose to be on correct side.

Four) There is demand out there for our adapter plate kits,  These kits pretty much sell them selves. Member Super A_sepa here is affiliated with one of our local and bigger volume customer's and has a very unique opportunity to compare and see a wide variety of tractors and engine applications. On about any given day there will be 40 or 50, IH 56, 66 and or 86 series tractors setting on their lot for sale, and they move a lot of tractors in a years time.  His word is good and his opinions come from a fair amount of experience.

Five) we also build adapter plates and kits to put the IH 300 and 400 series motors in a variety of older IH tractors as well and for many that is a good choice too. Still are many people that have the benefit of good access to good running later model IH engines. But each of those engines seem to have their own potential issues in addition to being old, from cam lobes and lifters, cavitation, lower bore replacements needed, rocker arm/valve train components. engine oil pumps, and it goes on.  And WORST of all today is the shortage of quality engine kits to choose from! As well as the costs especially for the 312 and or 360 kits if available at all.  As for the German engine, factor in injectors, and injection pump cost, OH kit availability and quality, lower counter bore issues and crank shaft balance weights and proper balancer installation with new bolts all adds to the costs.  Don't forget the updates on thermostat housings due to thermostat's no longer built that fit the early versions. The point to all of this paragraph about IH engines is that these are 50, 60 or even 65 year old designs and have not been built new for at least 25 years at least not in any volume. Hard to find lo hours or un molested runners. But you can still buy a 5.9 or a 3.9 "new" that you can order and spec the way you want, the design while 25/30 years old has been improved upon and parts are pretty much available new or at least used and priced with in reason due to volume still being sold. Buy a complete new 5.9 for less than 10K and a 4BT balanced for less than 12K with all the right stuff to make it pretty much a mount and tighten on the little stuff.

Six) There has been a variety of company's putting Cummins into AC and IH tractors over the last 40 years. Torque produced at lower RPM's makes for fuel economy. The torque rise of the Cummins engine when setup properly with a load sensing governor and anchored to a heavy load can pull the center out of the factory 14" IH clutch disc and from AC's Torque Limiter disc as well. This has lead to Spicer truck clutch centers being custom built to take care of the problem on both brands when running the cummins under heavy drawbar loads. And in the case of the AC's we have had to go to double Bellville washers in many cases to hold the disc from breaking loose and slipping at the flywheel. Is a common enough problem that Ag Parts, and Allied have had them as part of their inventory for years, Most likely Hy Cap and ASAP offer them as well.  How many of you have ever seen a nearly new center torn out of a clutch disc by a factory engine of either brand?

just my 2 cents,

ed

PS :: about 5 years ago a man called from Mn looking for a DT 407 to put in his I-1456 and asking about our Kits. I always liked the Std tread 1456's and I told him to just lay back and wait till he found a good 407.  I told him not to devalue his tractor by changing engines.   He said "you find me one!!" "I'll call you back in a few months if don't hear from you". A few months later he called and ordered the Cummins Kit. I admonished him to save every piece from the stock engine!  About 10 months ago I got a call from same guy in Mn looking for an IH inj pump for a different model tractor.  He said you don't remember me do you? I knew his voice but could not place him and I wish I could have recorded his next sentence. He said "I'm the guy you tried to talk out of a cummins in my 1456". He went on to say "I want you to know that I walk past 6 IH tractors every morning that I love dearly to get on that 1456"!  I asked if he missed the power of the DT 407?  He said "There is no comparison! the low end power is amazing,  the 407 wasn't even close!  they should have put the cummins in them from new!"  He kind of said it all right there!

Edited by Ed Leaman
some added thoughts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Ed Leaman said:

This has been a most interesting thread to follow; I am going to toss a couple of my thoughts and experiences out there. I realize many of us that are vocal on here come from a fix it yourself background and our costs are different than the guy that goes to " franchised or full time shops".  But if you are doing things "right" and don't value your time and parts at what it would cost to have it done as well or better than you can, you are selling yourself short!

One) I cannot recall ever hearing back from anyone that bought one of our Cummins kits that was unhappy they went that route.  (Except for a guy that installed an unbalanced 4BT into a 656 )!  Most are dollars ahead or at least even for cost at the get go and have the fuel economy in their favor from then on.  In particular the older IH models fitted with the dry sleeve's, whether gas, glow plug variety or 361 /407 have gotten so pricey to rebuild properly that it leads to lots of them getting sold to salvage yards!  8 to 10 K+  for an out of frame overhaul, if you send block, crank and rods to the machine shop and have things done properly is the norm. And that usually won't cover injectors, a rebuilt fuel pump nor the turbo.  And if you don't do the block and crank through a machine shop you are running a good chance of a failure within a very short time.  Most of those engine blocks are 50 years old and have been heated and cooled so many times that the metal is fatigued and out of square, and many are to the point that they need align bored, decked and oversize sleeves (outer diameter) installed before the counter bores get cut and till that is done you can own an adapter kit.  On a D-282 or D-301 it is not uncommon to see $1500 and more on a cylinder head, till you fix a crack or two and then do a good valve job on it.  Try to buy an uncracked head for the same, if you can find one with the big valves, you can spend $1500 to purchase it and it still needs a trip to the machine shop.

two) We have sold kits all over the nation as well into Australia and S Africa, so the demand is not a local thing and demand is based on results.  Granted many of our buyers own or have access to an old Dodge pickup that rusted out and still has an engine in that they know its history and are comfortable with it to spend to install it.

three) 2K gets a plate, a 14" flywheel with ring gear that will use a factory IH produced clutch and diesel starter as well as a set of front mounts. Another $750 gets a tach drive that is accurate to a factory tach and a throttle linkage kit that works for correct travel. and for approx $500 more we can put a new Northern radiator in it that works for the lower radiator hose to be on correct side.

Four) There is demand out there for our adapter plate kits,  These kits pretty much sell them selves. Member Super A_sepa here is affiliated with one of our local and bigger volume customer's and has a very unique opportunity to compare and see a wide variety of tractors and engine applications. On about any given day there will be 40 or 50, IH 56, 66 and or 86 series tractors setting on their lot for sale, and they move a lot of tractors in a years time.  His word is good and his opinions come from a fair amount of experience.

Five) we also build adapter plates and kits to put the IH 300 and 400 series motors in a variety of older IH tractors as well and for many that is a good choice too. Still are many people that have the benefit of good access to good running later model IH engines. But each of those engines seem to have their own potential issues, from cam lobes and lifters, cavitation, lower bore replacements needed, rocker arm/valve train components. engine oil pumps, and it goes on.  And WORST of all today is the shortage of quality engine kits to choose from! As well as the costs for the 312 and or 360 kits if available at all.  As for the German engine, factor in injectors, and injection pump cost, OH kit availability and quality, lower counter bore issues and crank shaft balance weights and proper installation with new bolts all adds to the costs.  don't forget the updates on thermostat housings due to thermostat's no longer built that fit the early vresions.

Six) There has been a variety of company's putting Cummins into AC and IH tractors over the last 40 years. Torque produced at lower RPM's makes for fuel economy. The torque rise of the Cummins engine when setup properly with a load sensing governor and anchored to a heavy load can pull the center out of the factory 14" IH clutch disc and from AC's Torque Limiter disc as well. This has lead to Spicer truck clutch centers being custom built to take care of the problem on both brands when running the cummins. And in the case of the AC's we have had to go to double Bellville washers in many cases to hold the disc from breaking loose and slipping at the flywheel. Is a common enough problem that Ag Parts, and Allied have had them as part of their inventory for years, Most likely Hy Cap and ASAP offer them as well.  How many of you have ever seen a nearly new center torn out of a clutch disc by a factory engine of either brand?

just my 2 cents,

ed

PS :: about 5 years ago a man called from Mn looking for a DT 407 to put in his I-1456 and asking about our Kits. I always liked the Std tread 1456's and I told him to just lay back and wait till he found a good 407.  I told him not to devalue his tractor by changing engines.   He said you find me one!!  "I'll call you back in a few months if don't hear from you". A few months later he called and ordered the Cummins Kit. I admonished him to save every piece from the stock engine!  About 10 months ago I got a call from same guy in Mn looking for an IH inj pump for a different model tractor.  He said you don't remember me do you? I knew his voice but could not place him and I wish I could have recorded his next sentence. He said "I'm the guy you tried to talk out of a cummins in my 1456". He went on to say "I want you to know that I walk past 6 IH tractors every morning that I love dearly to get on that 1456"!  I asked if he missed the power of the DT 407?  He said "There is no comparison! the low end power is amazing,  the 407 wasn't even close!  they should have put the cummins in them from new!"  He kind of said it all right there!

Call me hard headed ED,but I still won't take my 414dt out of my 1066 no matter what you say.I will fix it before a 5.9 Cummins will go in. 

• Like 2

Well I found a pretty good matchup here between a 5.9 in a white 120 and a 436 in a 1466 at 2166rpm and 2071rpm respectively. Apples to apples I sure don’t see a 25% fuel savings- looks more like a 1% in these particular tests. I’m thinking your guys may be experiencing a placebo effect after doing a Cummins swap. Are the guys doing these swaps adjusting the pumps so they don’t lose road speed? How does the Cummins in that 1486 posted like humming down the road at 2600 rpm? I had a 3200 rpm spring in my 12v and it seemed like it fell on its face at about 25-2600 or so. I suppose it was defueling. 

I do think the Cummins is a good engine by the way- I’m not trying to bash on them. I just don’t rate them above a 400 series, maybe about evenly. 

41C932A4-EFCB-468B-9580-7320DA4CF66F.jpeg

F4444DCD-A660-4D0B-8FF9-F3E74126FA75.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Jacka said:

Call me hard headed ED,but I still won't take my 414dt out of my 1066 no matter what you say.I will fix it before a 5.9 Cummins will go in. 

If you only have a need for an inframe that is nearly a no brainer.

If your drain plug backs out or an oil filter loosens and looses all the oil and locks up and spins a bearing and throw a rod out the side of the block and busts the injection pump off, then what? Very few people are pulling good running engines out to swap.  At least 400 series engines. It is a nice upgrade over some other engines though. 

3 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

That must have been one sick 407 to rate a rattle trap better................I sure as heck wouldn't trade mine for a 5.9 and its definitely not fresh.  

are they  making comparisons to new or low hr Cummins to tired IH? take a d282 tractor 10,000 hrs glow plugs not working and put a Cummins in it and the blackhat will think he has went to heaven

my neighbor recently bought a 444 with 900 orig legit hrs on it, he asked me to come up and show him how to start it. I could not believe how well that virtually new glow plug engine started

I will say I would love to have a 310 4 digit Oliver sitting here that has been converted to a 6BT rattle trap.............That is exactly what a swap should be, pull out a complete POS that should have never been in there and put a good long life engine in..........not pull out a good engine to put another good engine, that makes little sense to me.

12 minutes ago, Super A_sepa said:

If your drain plug backs out or an oil filter loosens and looses all the oil and locks up and spins a bearing and throw a rod out the side of the block and busts the injection pump off, then what? Very few people are pulling good running engines out to swap.  At least 400 series engines. It is a nice upgrade over some other engines though. 

Then what ?

Not even a question and the simplest solution is self evident. Go buy a wore out 414 rebuild it and install.There is only a million of them out there and I am not putting a used engine in if I don't know the exact history anyway.Too much work to change and I will rebuild it first.Same as a Cummins, it would get rebulit before it went in and 414 would be factory, not some cobbled up Cummins swap.

• Like 1

One of Spencer diesels guys got to visiting a few years back. He asked who is installing the load sensing governor springs in the inj pumps on our cummins transplants. I told him that most guys are just bolting in pickup motors and running with whatever was stock in PU's.  His words were  " What a waste of a great repower! The beauty of a cummins is its Torque rise, You are missing the whole point of owning a cummins if you don't get it set up correctly."

I make no claims to understanding those fuel pumps or how guys make the maximum torque. But I know that lower rpms will make a huge difference and I can vouch for the customers telling us they are saving money every day.  Bigger savings claimed by the guys running the AC 426 than the IH.

How much fuel would you estimate a Dt 436 (1466) go through in 9 hours when its set at 210HP hooked to the pto and pulling for all its got?

8 minutes ago, Ed Leaman said:

One of Spencer diesels guys got to visiting a few years back. He asked who is installing the load sensing governor springs in the inj pumps on our cummins transplants. I told him that most guys are just bolting in pickup motors and running with whatever was stock in PU's.  His words were  " What a waste of a great repower! The beauty of a cummins is its Torque rise, You are missing the whole point of owning a cummins if you don't get it set up correctly."

I make no claims to understanding those fuel pumps or how guys make the maximum torque. But I know that lower rpms will make a huge difference and I can vouch for the customers telling us they are saving money every day.  Bigger savings claimed by the guys running the AC 426 than the IH.

Well I suppose the lower rpms do equate to fuel savings- maybe they should have just ran the IH engines at a lower rpm if that’s what they were after. The ambac pumps are very simple to adjust and I would be willing to bet a dt436 would pull the nuts off a 5.9 Cummins even at lower rpm if the pump is set correctly. 

• Like 1

I think some of you cummins homers need to work on our 5.9.  I've never seen "torque rise" and "cummins 5.9" in the same sentence until this thread, go figure.  We have two 1990 Ford F-700s one with the 5.9 and the other with a Ford 7.8.  Both with 450 bu grain boxes, both 190 hp, both identical other then the engines.  The 5.9 is better then any gas engine you could put in there and as long as its compare to gas engines, then yes they have unbelievable torque.  When you compare it to the 7.8 Ford its laughable.  

News to me too..............They leased some MX110's to run on Tomato Harvesters years ago, I run one for a bit for a few days, I didn't think they gained much other than they weren't eating dust all day on a 806 or a Hydro.  And the fuel economy running full tilt doesn't match with what I am reading here.............Must be our contours:P

Just now, TP from Central PA said:

I will say I would love to have a 310 4 digit Oliver sitting here that has been converted to a 6BT rattle trap.............That is exactly what a swap should be, pull out a complete POS that should have never been in there and put a good long life engine in..........not pull out a good engine to put another good engine, that makes little sense to me.

I'd rather put the Perkins 6.354 in. Time tested and proved.. Hehe Darned good engines those Perkins are. 

45 minutes ago, Jacka said:

Then what ?

Not even a question and the simplest solution is self evident. Go buy a wore out 414 rebuild it and install.There is only a million of them out there and I am not putting a used engine in if I don't know the exact history anyway.Too much work to change and I will rebuild it first.Same as a Cummins, it would get rebulit before it went in and 414 would be factory, not some cobbled up Cummins swap.

"Cobbled up" would be a gross exaggeration unless you have never seen one that was put in with decency in mind and not only functionality.  

Could say the same about someone wanting a 414 in their 806.

There probably isn't near as many 414s as there are 5.9s out there....

I like the 400 series a lot, and when I swapped my tractors I didn't consider a Cummins mostly because I wanted to keep it IH so I went with a 312 and 360.

But some jobs are suited better to different engines and some people want something different.  

2 hours ago, ZG6E said:

Well I found a pretty good matchup here between a 5.9 in a white 120 and a 436 in a 1466 at 2166rpm and 2071rpm respectively. Apples to apples I sure don’t see a 25% fuel savings- looks more like a 1% in these particular tests. I’m thinking your guys may be experiencing a placebo effect after doing a Cummins swap. Are the guys doing these swaps adjusting the pumps so they don’t lose road speed? How does the Cummins in that 1486 posted like humming down the road at 2600 rpm? I had a 3200 rpm spring in my 12v and it seemed like it fell on its face at about 25-2600 or so. I suppose it was defueling. 

I do think the Cummins is a good engine by the way- I’m not trying to bash on them. I just don’t rate them above a 400 series, maybe about evenly. 

41C932A4-EFCB-468B-9580-7320DA4CF66F.jpeg

F4444DCD-A660-4D0B-8FF9-F3E74126FA75.jpeg

The number I was impressed with was the 2096 Case, but upon further reflection I may have overstated a bit, I think.

A18C583A-C12D-4D63-9B91-A32947B4139B.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ed Leaman said:

Exactly why we swapped out the AC 426 from the 8050 we bought new. It had around 5000 hours on it when we did it. We went from 10 to 7 1/2 gallons per hour with the cummins that started at 32 degrees easier than the AC did at 75° out. It pencils out pretty quickly even at $1 per gallon diesel . We sold the complete 426 as a running engine to the guy who specialized in AC repairs. It was around $10,500 or so when we did it all parts and the 210 flywheel hp 8.3 

I had never experienced power hop until the repower was completed . 

Here is the AC as I saw it sell for 15k on the 19th 

7 minutes ago, Super A_sepa said:

"Cobbled up" would be a gross exaggeration unless you have never seen one that was put in with decency in mind and not only functionality.  

Could say the same about someone wanting a 414 in their 806.

There probably isn't near as many 414s as there are 5.9s out there....

I like the 400 series a lot, and when I swapped my tractors I didn't consider a Cummins mostly because I wanted to keep it IH so I went with a 312 and 360.

But some jobs are suited better to different engines and some people want something different.  

I understand about people wanting something different,but that's it not what we are talking about. Is the end result of 5.9  replacing 414dt better then the original. That must include financially as well as functionally. The cost of rebuilding what you have( new engine) comparable to purchase of a used 5.9 engine and rebuilding it along with the cost of it.You also must factor in the parts Ed said you need what roughly 3 to 3500.Labor fluctuates but I would wager with the extra modifications needed labor would be more for the 5.9 switch and rebuild then 414dt rebulit and reinstall IF you did not do a inframe.It would be much lower for the in frame.Then resale value is up in the air because farmers are sceptical of those odd ball or not factory motors at auction and any dealer will use it to beat you down in trade even if they know they can sell it easy. 

Dodge trucks for sale with Cummins aren't behind every tree in P.A.  where I live and mid 80s 90s junk are still 5k if you can find them. I could find a 400 series engine a lot easier then 5.9.

I just don't see a benefit taking 414 out and 5.9 in.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Super A_sepa said:

And if the oil pump drive idler gear breaks the tab after 2800 hours on the 5.9 at rated RPMs? Funny thing, the CaseIH dealer just laughed and said that is pretty common.

Zero chance I would swap a 5.9 or 8.3 in place of a 400 series after the luck we've had with cummins engines, it seems like an absurd sales pitch to even consider.

• Like 1
On 12/20/2020 at 12:42 AM, Gearclash said:

Has anyone done a Cummins 4 cylinder (4B or 4BT) swap into a 06/56/66/86 tractor?  Or know about one?  

Well, Gearclash I am wondering if your question has been answered? Interesting topic for sure, lot of different views and opinions. 

Over the years I have installed Cummins 4 & 6B engines in IH, Oliver, White, Cat wheel loaders, Case backhoes and built many stand alone power units / irrigation pumps. I have all the option books from Cummins with the different flywheels, fan mounts, manifolds, tach drives an etc.....truly a versatile engine platform. Other than the "53" block I will say that they have been very good engines, cylinders wear very well.

Took a training course offered by Cummins for repowering, quite interesting to study exhaust gas flow, fan / cooling system configurations, water / air intercooling and air / air intercooling. During this training got to meet a bunch of inside Cummins engineers to include the guy Cummins sent to Dodge to configure the 6B for the truck that put Dodge on the map. 

As Ed pointed out grooming the engine for application is an expensive part of any repower. I would strongly recommend starting out with an Ag or Ind. spec engine so you don't get a bunch of money wrapped up in fuel system.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, neukm said:

And if the oil pump drive idler gear breaks the tab after 2800 hours on the 5.9 at rated RPMs? Funny thing, the CaseIH dealer just laughed and said that is pretty common.

Zero chance I would swap a 5.9 or 8.3 in place of a 400 series after the luck we've had with cummins engines, it seems like an absurd sales pitch to even consider.

I'm too much of an IH nut to put one in my tractors. I enjoy trying to make something that looks factory.  I don't put near enough hours on a year on all the tractors total to make it come close to pencil. 

But if someone else wants one I don't care.  

I don't think Cummins parts support is going anywhere.  Mother Case doesn't seem interested in supporting this older stuff and them going to Reliance as the supplier for engine parts is to going to help. Obviously the dealer is not the first call for a lot of parts.

These tractors are 50 plus years old, to run another 50 maybe we'll have to adapt to some change. 

You can still find good quality parts for 400 series but it is more legwork than it used to be. 

I don't think anyone is saying that the 400 series is the best candidate for a repower. It is common because of how many there was. When compared to cost of rebuild with most likely Reliance parts on the older engines that don't start so well and are more expensive on most every part you touch on it is where it becomes more attractive I think, and because a 400 series is a tight fit where the Cummins fits easily  (or a 360 but then that goes back to some of the parts source discussion)

12 hours ago, bitty said:

Exactly why we swapped out the AC 426 from the 8050 we bought new. It had around 5000 hours on it when we did it. We went from 10 to 7 1/2 gallons per hour with the cummins that started at 32 degrees easier than the AC did at 75° out. It pencils out pretty quickly even at $1 per gallon diesel . We sold the complete 426 as a running engine to the guy who specialized in AC repairs. It was around $10,500 or so when we did it all parts and the 210 flywheel hp 8.3 

I had never experienced power hop until the repower was completed . 

Here is the AC as I saw it sell for 15k on the 19th 

I can't believe for a minute that this brought what it did as the fuel rack was stuck from sitting in the shop for transmission work .... The engine certainly added to the value . Some tractors benefit in multiple ways to repower , others not as much

IMG_20201219_140332230.jpg

Screenshot_20201219-085741.png