4 cylinder Cummins into an IH tractor?

3 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

That's just plain disgusting right there. I'd rather own a Belarus. Any day of the week! At least the Russian will start on its own below 60 degrees.

Your the only one I have ever heard of touting a vodka farm wagon................are the Yugo's great too?  Ah well, this gave me some Christmas Cheer!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love it. I'm not even involved. ?   I'd do a Cummins swap.  Think I can shoe horn a 4B into my 284?  If I thought I could and it wasn't overkill I would! Seriously looking at Kubota engines

But why?? The IH engines are much better than those sleeveless rattle trap cummins engines. 

I’m gonna start by saying I’ve never had the pleasure of owning a ih diesel we had 706 gas when I was a kid and I preferred it to other tractor s we had then because of how it drove straight on the ro

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Your the only one I have ever heard of touting a vodka farm wagon................are the Yugo's great too?  Ah well, this gave me some Christmas Cheer!

My buddy has three 825s. One has a gazzilion hours something like 20,000 only ever clutch and hydraulic pump plus front end parts but he feeds 750 head every day with them

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, dale560 said:

My buddy has three 825s. One has a gazzilion hours something like 20,000 only ever clutch and hydraulic pump plus front end parts but he feeds 750 head every day with them

Rather him than me...........they were a kick here for a time, because they were cheap, now I am not even sure where one would get parts.  Neighbors hired man has one, last I talked to him, it was sitting because of steering parts, he was trying to locate them.  He always rags on me because of the red paint, I said I don't seem to have that problem, maybe YOU should upgrade..........

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

I thought the 414 in the little 7000's and in construction end was a heck of a setup.

Like anything until emissions got involved.  

Feel bad pushing green paint sometimes but you cant beat the support for their engines.  Be it new oem stuff, aftermarket, or reman from deere or 3rd parties you have tons of options being they're installed in so much stuff.   

3 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Like anything until emissions got involved.  

Feel bad pushing green paint sometimes but you cant beat the support for their engines.  Be it new oem stuff, aftermarket, or reman from deere or 3rd parties you have tons of options being they're installed in so much stuff.   

They got their junk as does everyone else, but they do make some good stuff, and you can't fault the parts support for not being there as it is.

IMG_20201222_132538533_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201222_132528710.jpg

IMG_20201222_132524555_HDR.jpg

Bitty posted these pictures in his 766 thread in the Coffee Shop. This was one that I helped with. It needs the AC compressor yet to be finished. And maybe red or black paint on the motor. I don't know how much cleaner of an install there could be. Exhaust comes out the factory hole, running all the factory gauges. It does cost a little more to do it this way but I certainly think its worth it.     We have one out that is running the intercooler in a 1086 too.  I forget where this one is set horsepower wise.    Had put one in out of a pickup that the guy who sold it had done some work to it before deciding to replace it with a 24 valve. With the new clutch put in at the same time it had enough power to slip it before we turned it back! They won't live at 200 like a 414 or 436 in a tractor but that wasn't what Gearclash is after. 

• Like 1

thats a quality install  but I noticed it in bitty's thread in a line up at a dealer, seems funny to put all that time and money into a tractor and sell it⁉️ whats up with that

1 hour ago, hillman said:

thats a quality install  but I noticed it in bitty's thread in a line up at a dealer, seems funny to put all that time and money into a tractor and sell it⁉️ whats up with that

It isn't a big time loss to swap it, motor is out and in in a nice day and then another 2 days or so on all the little things, 86 makes an easier swap.

Also so of the Amish around here, and a few English, really love the Cummins,  many power units/forecarts made with them etc and some will pay more for one with a nice conversion.     Usually they are done on an as-ordered basis but this one wasn't.

37 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Ps.. The "cool kids" around here are swapping dodge cummins engines into ford trucks, so I'm going to do it right and put a 6V53 Detroit Diesel in a F450. 

Doesn't Ford own Cummins anyway or did?

35 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Ps.. The "cool kids" around here are swapping dodge cummins engines into ford trucks, so I'm going to do it right and put a 6V53 Detroit Diesel in a F450. 

I have a friend who put a few little Jimmies in pickup trucks. he makes his own bellhousings( very talented guy) but he also wastes a lot of his time with this crap. all he did was break things with a big heavy engine where it don't belong. Finally came to his senses and got a Dodge with a Cummins if you are serious he probably would sell you a bellhousing that bolts up to GM transmission. The last Screamer was in a pos Dodge truck when it calved on him so true to his history he put a small block chev in it ?

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

That's just plain disgusting right there. I'd rather own a Belarus. Any day of the week! At least the Russian will start on its own below 60 degrees.

You apparently never tried to farm with a Belarus, the only way we could start ours was roll it down a hill or hook on with the pickup and give it a pull.

38 minutes ago, hillman said:

I have a friend who put a few little Jimmies in pickup trucks. he makes his own bellhousings( very talented guy) but he also wastes a lot of his time with this crap. all he did was break things with a big heavy engine where it don't belong. Finally came to his senses and got a Dodge with a Cummins if you are serious he probably would sell you a bellhousing that bolts up to GM transmission. The last Screamer was in a pos Dodge truck when it calved on him so true to his history he put a small block chev in it ?

My truck buddy had a new 4/53 put in his 75 or 76 new one ton four wheel drive k35 . His had a 350 4 speed after he blew up Detroit from over speeding it after a few years he put a 454 into it. The Detroit swap could be done with factory parts from GM. Those engines were in c50 60 chevys with the same type bell housing.

3 hours ago, Super A_sepa said:

IMG_20201222_132538533_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201222_132528710.jpg

IMG_20201222_132524555_HDR.jpg

Bitty posted these pictures in his 766 thread in the Coffee Shop. This was one that I helped with. It needs the AC compressor yet to be finished. And maybe red or black paint on the motor. I don't know how much cleaner of an install there could be. Exhaust comes out the factory hole, running all the factory gauges. It does cost a little more to do it this way but I certainly think its worth it.     We have one out that is running the intercooler in a 1086 too.  I forget where this one is set horsepower wise.    Had put one in out of a pickup that the guy who sold it had done some work to it before deciding to replace it with a 24 valve. With the new clutch put in at the same time it had enough power to slip it before we turned it back! They won't live at 200 like a 414 or 436 in a tractor but that wasn't what Gearclash is after. 

A 8.3 would be a real nice swap into a 1486. You would have. To detune it a bit.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, dale560 said:

My truck buddy had a new 4/53 put in his 75 or 76 new one ton four wheel drive k35 . His had a 350 4 speed after he blew up Detroit from over speeding it after a few years he put a 454 into it. The Detroit swap could be done with factory parts from GM. Those engines were in c50 60 chevys with the same type bell housing.

like I said he wastes his time , I got him an Allis WC reversed as a forklift=not running. said he was going to put sbc with auto in it:blink: he got it running and it was a good runner thank God. just can't help himself! he had a 1 ton chev stretched out real long with 454 4 sp with an auxiliary out of a dump truck or some big old thing, 5 acres full of good projects and he wastes his time. spent a ton of money converting a 24 valve to mechanical pump

Just now, jd4440 said:

You apparently never tried to farm with a Belarus, the only way we could start ours was roll it down a hill or hook on with the pickup and give it a pull.

I don't farm, but I work on them. Mostly the bigger ones around here like 800 and the 5100 and up series. There are new gear drive starters available now. The starters for the smaller 200/400 series was scarce for a bit, but were usually still rebuildable.

3 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

I don't farm, but I work on them. Mostly the bigger ones around here like 800 and the 5100 and up series. There are new gear drive starters available now. The starters for the smaller 200/400 series was scarce for a bit, but were usually still rebuildable.

If you read the owners manual. Electric start was a option more for developed countries. Says it so in operator manuals for 825. Stated most soviet block era countries batteries were expensive and hard to procure. They had a little gas motor in place of starter as main method.

4 minutes ago, dale560 said:

If you read the owners manual. Electric start was a option more for developed countries. Says it so in operator manuals for 825. Stated most soviet block era countries batteries were expensive and hard to procure. They had a little gas motor in place of starter as main method.

LOL I should have had you translate the manual for me, i couldn't make out more than a few sentences!

Merry Christmas!

The smaller Detroit’s seem like a good idea for swaps at first, but after a bit of research they quickly become a bad one in my opinion.  The big truck engines 8v71, 8v92 had really good power to weight ratios compared to the older big inline sixes, but the smaller engines seem to be almost the opposite.  

I think a 6v53 is like 1800lbs and 180hp is pushing it.  A 671 looks like a way bigger motor than it’s 426cubes, and I think is almost 2000lbs.  An 8v92 is like 2500lbs at 500hp without big modifications.   I looked at mid-size Detroit’s for my truck project, but they just didn’t make sense.

A series 50 would be an interesting motor to swap into a 4386 or even a 4586.  It’s a 4cyl version of a Series 60.  It’s still a big engine - like 9 litres.  It would be nice and short, I bet it would fit in the IH’s. 

Series 40 is still the best engine “Detroit” ever made?.

8 minutes ago, dale560 said:

A gas start diesel just like the IH gas start, or was it just a pony motor like Deere and Cat.

4 minutes ago, Sask466 said:

The smaller Detroit’s seem like a good idea for swaps at first, but after a bit of research they quickly become a bad one in my opinion.  The big truck engines 8v71, 8v92 had really good power to weight ratios compared to the older big inline sixes, but the smaller engines seem to be almost the opposite.  

I think a 6v53 is like 1800lbs and 180hp is pushing it.  A 671 looks like a way bigger motor than it’s 426cubes, and I think is almost 2000lbs.  An 8v92 is like 2500lbs at 500hp without big modifications.   I looked at mid-size Detroit’s for my truck project, but they just didn’t make sense.

A series 50 would be an interesting motor to swap into a 4386 or even a 4586.  It’s a 4cyl version of a Series 60.  It’s still a big engine - like 9 litres.  It would be nice and short, I bet it would fit in the IH’s. 

Series 40 is still the best engine “Detroit” ever made?.

Any of the 92's had good power to weight ratio.   8V92 @ 800 HP in a boat, no other company could match it in that knitch market. Very few 40's sold did you purchase the last of them?