4 cylinder Cummins into an IH tractor?

On 12/22/2020 at 1:16 PM, jass1660 said:

FCE94FAD-EE16-4FEA-8C22-2533DA175807.jpeg

You can get Hawkin’s in the US?  That’s awesome!  I thought it was Canada-only thing!

I have been eating my Ketchup-flavoured potato chips reading this thread!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love it. I'm not even involved. ?   I'd do a Cummins swap.  Think I can shoe horn a 4B into my 284?  If I thought I could and it wasn't overkill I would! Seriously looking at Kubota engines

But why?? The IH engines are much better than those sleeveless rattle trap cummins engines. 

I’m gonna start by saying I’ve never had the pleasure of owning a ih diesel we had 706 gas when I was a kid and I preferred it to other tractor s we had then because of how it drove straight on the ro

Posted Images

On 12/21/2020 at 9:51 PM, dale560 said:

This is what the 2+2 needs

23CFB707-95E6-4484-9D8B-914102F65A2A.png

Been wanting to do that adapter plate for a long time, trouble with width at front end makes it a hard to put into a framed tractor.  Anyonewant to repower we will build a plate and flywheel for the job!

On 12/21/2020 at 9:23 PM, TractormanMike.mb said:

Just curious while we are sort of on this topic. Has anybody ever swapped a Cummins into a 2+2 or heard of anybody doing it?

On 12/22/2020 at 4:05 PM, hillman said:

smilely popcorn.gif

OK happy face_full.jpeg

look into a 3.3

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Ed Leaman said:

Been wanting to do that adapter plate for a long time, trouble with width at front end makes it a hard to put into a framed tractor.  Anyonewant to repower we will build a plate and flywheel for the job!

Have you looked into building a adapter? Sad thing engines that would be good the early pump line nozzle are 30 years old.

The d282 hate is something I don't understand :mellow:not the engine its self and its faults  but how did all the haters end up with one? its the World's worst kept secret how it won't start and it blows head gaskets. This "info" has been out there as long as I can remember yet guys buy them , complain about them but put 10,000 hrs on them. Honesty I am not trying to be a smart arce but why did you buy one? I have one, understand the design of the engine and yes I wish they had put some more head bolts in it but the little tractor is over real sweet and fairly good on fuel. I can over look the head gasket issue and mine starts well

on the flip side of the d282 you have guys that put turbos on them? or bigger tires and load it up to make a bigger dog out of it ? the opinions are all over on the d282. I say use it right, maintain it and it  will treat you well and as with any quality IH engine still in service rebuild it sparing no expense

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, hillman said:

The d282 hate is something I don't understand :mellow:not the engine its self and its faults  but how did all the haters end up with one? its the World's worst kept secret how it won't start and it blows head gaskets. This "info" has been out there as long as I can remember yet guys buy them , complain about them but put 10,000 hrs on them. Honesty I am not trying to be a smart arce but why did you buy one? I have one, understand the design of the engine and yes I wish they had put some more head bolts in it but the little tractor is over real sweet and fairly good on fuel. I can over look the head gasket issue and mine starts well

on the flip side of the d282 you have guys that put turbos on them? or bigger tires and load it up to make a bigger dog out of it ? the opinions are all over on the d282. I say use it right, maintain it and it  will treat you well and as with any quality IH engine still in service rebuild it sparing no expense

We put a gazillion hours on a worn out 560 pulling a double mower.always started and ran. We have a ford 4 cyl engine in a bidi they are a good engine the Cummins 4 but is good but there is nothing wrong with a 282. 

• Like 1

The real question is, has anyone d282-swapped a 3/4 ton Dodge?   If we can find that man and get his opinion, we can settle this argument once and for all!

I think whatever floats your boat, do it.  The Cummins is a much newer engine design, and there is certainly benefits from that.  If that tractor is going to spend it’s next 50 years in a parade, keep it the way it is.  If those same next years are planned for the field, do the Cummins swap and keep the old engine preserved.  It will come in handy for the day you get sentimental for a good old-fashioned hard-starting, but still lovable, original IH.

Whichever way you go, you get to be one of the lucky ones to have an old IH tractor!

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, Sask466 said:

The real question is, has anyone d282-swapped a 3/4 ton Dodge?   If we can find that man and get his opinion, we can settle this argument once and for all!

OK , call me Spock but thats illogical :) not very many guys are going to say the d282 is better than the Comeapart. 

I will open a new debate. Ed Leaman no doubt has excellent kits because everyone has heard of him and its all good.?  bitty repowered an Allis - all good there ?

I still wouldn't buy a repowered tractor so theres one less bidder at your farm sale. The backyard swaps are _______________ at times. no offense to the guy here with the 806 but I wouldn't put my name on that work ( in fairness he admits its not clean )) I have spent too much time fixing or reversing barnyard engineering. It also does not make sense to me to spend money buying or making parts to adapt a 1/2 wornout engine into something that IMHO will be worth less than if you just rebuilt what you had or spent that money trading it in on something that suits your needs. The swap like the 806 was cheap but corners were cut with one issue I don't think an engineer would approve. (if you don't see it then you don't agree so I will leave it at that) . gassers are good candidates for the wreckers IMHO

swapping out a 361,407 or 414? hard to beat those engines. industry standards‼️ enough to make a grown man cry?

Take a 1086 that gets all the hate and swap out the best part of it⁉️

but I agree with the whatever floats your boat thing.........have at it. the Kubota in a 284 done right sounds interesting

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't see what the gain is on putting a 5.9 in where a 414 or 436 once lived, seems really dumb IMO.  

While I own a 282, and I actually got this one working well, if you pull the pan off and pull the head off and look at things, no sane person is going to say it a wonderful design, IMO they should have never, ever been used after the end of the 560.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Yeah, I don't see what the gain is on putting a 5.9 in where a 414 or 436 once lived, seems really dumb IMO. 

I can think of two gains:

1. No sleeves to cavitate.
2. No sleeve orings to fail and dump the coolant into the oil pan.

My problem with the Cummins is you have to fight the Billy Big Riggers over the dwindling supply of clapped out old Dodge trucks.

18 hours ago, dale560 said:

Have you looked into building a adapter? Sad thing engines that would be good the early pump line nozzle are 30 years old.

We have, and it can be done, and a 2+2 would be a good place for one but you better be careful who drives it. It will break something in drive line if put to the wrong job.  To put one in an 2WD IH tractor with a frame, is about impossible.  Think it could go into an 88 series frame,

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ed Leaman said:

We have, and it can be done, and a 2+2 would be a good place for one but you better be careful who drives it. It will break something in drive line if put to the wrong job.  To put one in an 2WD IH tractor with a frame, is about impossible.  Think it could go into an 88 series frame,

A magnum would be good place to recreate a version of a farmall that should have been built. . Or build the 10 liter version of the 2+2 . I know they were using a Cummins L10 but they had to have the 9 liter versions of the 466 e already in someone’s thought process.

Just now, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Would I raise some eyebrows if I suggested a Detroit Diesel series 40 swap into a 706 or 806? ??

Laugh how you want but i saw a magazine article one time that swapped 6-72 2 stroke Detroit in a 4366. Yes 4366 where the 466 was used instead of the 4568 where the DV-800 was used.

• Confused 1

I mistyped it was a 6-71 Detroit not 72. In a 4366.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Would I raise some eyebrows if I suggested a Detroit Diesel series 40 swap into a 706 or 806? ??

I got it! I had to explain to an AGCO dealer one day just what they had when they asked me where to find gaskets! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I can think of two gains:

1. No sleeves to cavitate.
2. No sleeve orings to fail and dump the coolant into the oil pan.

My problem with the Cummins is you have to fight the Billy Big Riggers over the dwindling supply of clapped out old Dodge trucks.

Rather pull a head and drop an oil pan for a cavitated sleeve that pull a whole freaking engine and strip it for a boring and sleeving job the day it wipes a cylinder out......

Never, ever EVER will you see me own a piece of heavy equipment with a parent bore engine.  

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, dale560 said:

The 414 Deere wasn’t a bad engine. If I am not mistaken it is a design of the Mannheim engines. Used a lot of them in Deere construction.

I dont think they have Mannheim origins, pretty much just an enlargement of the 300 series 4 and 6 cylinder engines.  Probably get something thrown at me but they're pretty close up to par with a 400 series IH.  My only real pet peeves with them is integral valve guides, lack of cam bearings, that screwy friction stud rocker arm adjustment, and dumb small subtle differences depending on where they were built be in in Saran, or Dubuque, or later Mexico.  

Seen lots of 6414's and 6068's that took beatings in log skidders no engine should ever have to endure.  

22 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

I dont think they have Mannheim origins, pretty much just an enlargement of the 300 series 4 and 6 cylinder engines.  Probably get something thrown at me but they're pretty close up to par with a 400 series IH.  My only real pet peeves with them is integral valve guides, lack of cam bearings, that screwy friction stud rocker arm adjustment, and dumb small subtle differences depending on where they were built be in in Saran, or Dubuque, or later Mexico.  

Seen lots of 6414's and 6068's that took beatings in log skidders no engine should ever have to endure.  

That’s the ticket I guess everybody around here calls it a Mannheim tractor if they have that style engine. Built in Dubuque and Mexico like you said.

37 minutes ago, dale560 said:

That’s the ticket I guess everybody around here calls it a Mannheim tractor if they have that style engine. Built in Dubuque and Mexico like you said.

Most of the stuff that used them was a Mannheim tractor after the utilities got moved over there.  Guess see them more on the yellow side