Cream separator question

nate

1 hour ago, nate said:

Thank you!    Off to find a ball bearing...

Pretty sure McMaster Carr has them. 

I found one at an auction last summer, an IH cream separater that is.  Sure wish I'd got it.  Old and rusty, and I think it brought $100.  That was about $50 more than I thought it was worth in the condition it was in. 

• Like 1

i have a table top one.  i think it's a royal blue sold by montgomery wards(sp).  my great aunt sold it to the neighbor in the '30s i brought it back at his auction when he passed away in 2001. i think you could get it to work just a little rust on it.

pete.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, oldfarmkid said:

Bet my Mom wishes she had a dollar for every time she cleaned one. Twice a day for many, many, years.

My Mon as well, we had two one with an electric motor and a backup unit with hand crank for when the power went off.
Later Dad bought an IH self washing separator that only required complete cleaning every 4 uses. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TeachersPet1066 said:

So that is what that is...

Just saw one Thursday but phone was in car.  It had McCormick on it but also International Harvester . 

IMG_20190315_092018378.thumb.jpg.87178513f2630338907fc0ee7d1c7ae2.jpghere is the self washing separator jimb2 referenced. I think it is the only one to have both the IH and mccormick decals. That might be what you saw?

• Like 3

Our first one was a hand crank, I remember eating breakfast with my left hand while cranking the seperator with my right hand hogging the food down as fast as I could in time to catch the school bus then doing it all again in reverse order after school. 

woke up in the dark, round up the cows by the barn, stand there and wait for them to piss, milk, eat, off to school, then home , milk, eat, two different channels on TV and in bed by 8:30 or 9:00 wake up and do it all over again . 

• Like 1

Had much the same routine. Hand crank for backup, power normally went out in the winter. Sometimes on the coldest winter mornings 0 to -20 F you could hear the old cows tendons stretch when they slowly got up to go to the barn. I can still see the cows, and hear that sound 55 years later. Still makes me feel cold. Mom started cleaning the separator as I carried the skimmed milk up the 18 basement steps and out to the hogs. That memory still makes me sweaty.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, barnsfull said:

I think it is the only one to have both the IH and mccormick decals. That might be what you saw?

Now I am unsure what I saw lol.  It just had the wording McCormick Deering and then wording International Harvester under it - no symbol.

And this is why I knew I should have gone back to the car for the phone.  I will get a pick next time I am in that area.

I passed up on one just like that at auction more than 20 years ago. Don't remember what it brought, but I seemed to think it was worth it at the time. Still kick myself over that one every once in a while... ha! I just think the art deco styling is kind of neat, and I like the different shade of red/ maroon on them.