12 minutes ago, hillman said:

where did I say it doesn't happen? 

You are a very brilliant mechanic J but I need zero , zelch teaching from you LOL you are 100% correct on the best practice and thats great I agree but it can be done in a less desirable way. 

I laid off this thread a couple days, posted against my better judgement and was going to tell the OP how to get the shaft out but you commented even though you admit you don't know how to do it and from your comments you don't    This forum was much better without you Jonathan ..you have turned it into a $hit show

I'm sorry you feel that way.  I guess you are another guy in that category of too set in your ways to learn.  

And if you know how to get the shaft out, tell him.  I openly admitted I haven't had one out, and so did snoshoe, but no one else jumped in.  Keeping quiet is on you.  I'm not debating the transmission issues. By all means help the guy out. 

Me, I just don't want to see him end up back where he started with broken pistons.  If he can find good used, great.  But those are as hard to find as new ones.  I liked the idea of remachining the ring groove and using custom made rings. 

I also totally fail to see how I make things a sh!t show.  It is the old members who throw fits over guys who know and want to give good advice.  Most people don't debate with them because they know it is a waste of time.  Why let them "win" and spread bad advice to others?  The sh!t show is some of the terrible practices they advocate. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally decided to start a thread on this board. As some of you know, I'm restoring a 1949 McCormick WD-9. I bought it as a tractor which shouldn't have needed all too much work. Tractor r

Time for a small update. Haven't been able to do too much because I had school exams over the last month. Got some small things done like putting the transmission cover back on and reconnect the

Next step is to replace all seals and bearing and put everything back in

Posted Images

2 hours ago, J-Mech said:

I'm sorry you feel that way.  I guess you are another guy in that category of too set in your ways to learn.  

And if you know how to get the shaft out, tell him.  I openly admitted I haven't had one out, and so did snoshoe, but no one else jumped in.  Keeping quiet is on you.  I'm not debating the transmission issues. By all means help the guy out. 

Me, I just don't want to see him end up back where he started with broken pistons.  If he can find good used, great.  But those are as hard to find as new ones.  I liked the idea of remachining the ring groove and using custom made rings. 

I also totally fail to see how I make things a sh!t show.  It is the old members who throw fits over guys who know and want to give good advice.  Most people don't debate with them because they know it is a waste of time.  Why let them "win" and spread bad advice to others?  The sh!t show is some of the terrible practices they advocate. 

Shoshoe told him enough that if he couldn't actually look and understand how its put together he needs to take up a new hobby;)having internet ppl tell you how to do everything teaches nothing.  

Do as you like but I really wish you could say your piece nicely and walk away? like your buddy Snoshoe. no one signed on here for teachers or bosses, or to be degraded

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
7 minutes ago, hillman said:

Shoshoe told him enough that if he couldn't actually look and understand how its put together he needs to take up a new hobby;)having internet ppl tell you how to do everything teaches nothing.  

Should I take this as a offence??

Cleaned everything up. Bearings should be coming in tomorrow.

I got myself different tires today too. Old ones were Good Year 18.4's and almost had no profile left. New ones are Vredestein, second hand but close to new. They are 520 wide. And thats a problem.. Old ones are around 460 or 480 wide. New ones are a tad wider, but they don't fit. Such a shame. 

I will move the fenders a little more to the middle of the tractor. Shouldn't be too much of a struggle.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Farmall 1466 said:

Cleaned everything up. Bearings should be coming in tomorrow.

I got myself different tires today too. Old ones were Good Year 18.4's and almost had no profile left. New ones are Vredestein, second hand but close to new. They are 520 wide. And thats a problem.. Old ones are around 460 or 480 wide. New ones are a tad wider, but they don't fit. Such a shame. 

I will move the fenders a little more to the middle of the tractor. Shouldn't be too much of a struggle.

those wd9's came out with 16.9x34 tires.  the super wd9 came out with 18.4x34 tires and a wider rim.  some even had 23.1x26 rears. so yes u have no room.

10 hours ago, rustred said:

those wd9's came out with 16.9x34 tires.  the super wd9 came out with 18.4x34 tires and a wider rim.  some even had 23.1x26 rears. so yes u have no room.

That explains a lot. I thought WD9's had 18.4 standard as well. Anyways, I really like the look of the 520 wheels. Makes the tractor look though

10 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

That explains a lot. I thought WD9's had 18.4 standard as well. Anyways, I really like the look of the 520 wheels. Makes the tractor look though

no, not till the super's came out. and it was a wider rim and used bolts instead of those clamps. people have changed the hubs out also to use the wide rims. 

4 hours ago, rustred said:

no, not till the super's came out. and it was a wider rim and used bolts instead of those clamps. people have changed the hubs out also to use the wide rims. 

I guess you are right. I have the clamp style rims and hubs

3 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

I guess you are right. I have the clamp style rims and hubs

grew up with these tractors and road around with dad and sat on the step . also own a bunch of these now. and am a mechanic. and dont pull stuff out of the rafters. and know when something will work and wont work.

Got the fenders set up to fit the tires. Normally, the fender is bolted with 8 bolts, but I use 4 now and its already overkill. Drilled new holes

1609338873903995746431.thumb.jpg.4c0bf4a6511a43bc74b1fb822ba3d249.jpg

The tires fit the tractor really good now. 

1609338952354855079618.thumb.jpg.750cee52221eca3db6b796a556450d2b.jpg

I now only have to make some strips to connect the fenders to the bodywork. Thats the only way someone will be able to tell the fenders are moved

160933907313970727831.thumb.jpg.33abb2b21bf473e3b8eb420c7b173b4e.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rustred said:

your going all out ,lol. is that the 20.8 x34 tires.  u must not have many of these tractors down there?

Yes they are just as wide as 20.8 lol. They do fit good, had some worries it wouldn't look good. 

No, there are not many of these tractors down there. One guy close has a 650 diesel and that's it

3 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

Yes they are just as wide as 20.8 lol. They do fit good, had some worries it wouldn't look good. 

No, there are not many of these tractors down there. One guy close has a 650 diesel and that's it

ok, good luck. i have a 650 diesel also.

I have almost all the parts I need for the gearbox assembly and engine assembly, but I'm in doubt about the nozzle dust seals from the injectors. The parts book gives two numbers: 61209D for engines upto serial numer 18000 and 251044R1 for engines with serial starting at 18000. Would it harm if I were to use the latter one?

Besides, I think I asked this before but not sure. My engine serial is way lower than my tractor serial, does this mean that the engine does not 'belong' to the tractor?

3 minutes ago, Farmall 1466 said:

I have almost all the parts I need for the gearbox assembly and engine assembly, but I'm in doubt about the nozzle dust seals from the injectors. The parts book gives two numbers: 61209D for engines upto serial numer 18000 and 251044R1 for engines with serial starting at 18000. Would it harm if I were to use the latter one?

Besides, I think I asked this before but not sure. My engine serial is way lower than my tractor serial, does this mean that the engine does not 'belong' to the tractor?

i dont know what the difference is in the dust seals. did not think they were a different size. maybe rubber design? do you have both in hand?     as for the serial #'s IHC did not match the engines to the chassis . only a few models were matching like the w-12's. from the 1930's. guess you could check the casting code's to see what year the engine is ,if it matches tractor year.

2 hours ago, rustred said:

i dont know what the difference is in the dust seals. did not think they were a different size. maybe rubber design? do you have both in hand?     as for the serial #'s IHC did not match the engines to the chassis . only a few models were matching like the w-12's. from the 1930's. guess you could check the casting code's to see what year the engine is ,if it matches tractor year.

The 61209D seal is the same as in the MD and 300 and 400 series tractors (so would technically be the same as WD-6??). The 251044R1 seal was replaced by 251044R2, which was used in a ton of different tractors, like the 460, 560 and 660, but also in for example the 706. It might all be the same but not sure

5 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

The 61209D seal is the same as in the MD and 300 and 400 series tractors (so would technically be the same as WD-6??). The 251044R1 seal was replaced by 251044R2, which was used in a ton of different tractors, like the 460, 560 and 660, but also in for example the 706. It might all be the same but not sure

i did not have each one in my hand to know the difference. but if the bore of each injector is the same i dont see why it wont work its just an o ring.  i have some old 560 injectors handy to measure tomorrow then u can measure yours. plus i have a bunch of those o rings too.

• 2 weeks later...

I was not able to work on the tractor last week, but got back to it tonight. Managed to reassemble the transmission, together with my dad. The big things, like engine tear down and transmission tear down and reassembly, I do together with my dad as he is far more experienced than I am. 

All bearings are replaced with brand new SKF ones. Gearbox is really tight now. Can't deny I'm a little proud of myself ?. This was my first transmission rebuilt! 

20210112_200952.thumb.jpg.b8aa5830563afc0c6876c50e7df59c2b.jpg

The only thing not torn down on this tractor is the rear end and I think I will keep it that way. We did completely clean it however. There is not an excessive amount of play in the rear end, just a little bit. I'm okay with that.

2 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

I was not able to work on the tractor last week, but got back to it tonight. Managed to reassemble the transmission, together with my dad. The big things, like engine tear down and transmission tear down and reassembly, I do together with my dad as he is far more experienced than I am. 

All bearings are replaced with brand new SKF ones. Gearbox is really tight now. Can't deny I'm a little proud of myself ?. This was my first transmission rebuilt! 

20210112_200952.thumb.jpg.b8aa5830563afc0c6876c50e7df59c2b.jpg

The only thing not torn down on this tractor is the rear end and I think I will keep it that way. We did completely clean it however. There is not an excessive amount of play in the rear end, just a little bit. I'm okay with that.

good idea to check the bull pinions on it now. not much extra work. these tractors are noted for those brgs. going out. good job.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, rustred said:

good idea to check the bull pinions on it now. not much extra work. these tractors are noted for those brgs. going out. good job.

What is the easiest way to access them?

If you follow this thread there is lots of great info, surprises found and a pictorial 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, hardtail said:

If you follow this thread there is lots of great info, surprises found and a pictorial 

From what I can tell, I would need to remove the hubs in order to check the bull pinions?