584 lost hydraulics cold weather

I have been using my FEL in the past 6 months with no problems. Spreading chips and loading firewood

This was the first time with snow removal, cold in the upper 20's

Warmed it up and after about 15 mins pushing snow  lost the hydraulics.

Hydraulic Fluid was drained in spring when I put the FEL on, looked clean Not contaminated with water that I could see.

almost clear in color

Put fluid back in and fill a little above line on dip stick. Have not changed filter in this tractor yet.   

I know water could freeze it, I guess better pull filter and see what it looks like.  

You guys have any ideas what I should try or look for.

How would I tell if I broke the wood drift key?

It seamed I had some lift, I revved it up and got the bucket full of snow to come up 2 feet so I could limp it to the barn.

No power steering and 3 pt. will not lift. I am thinking plugged filter. was going to pull it in the morning.

could be this filter was never changed, I don't know have only had tractor a year 1700 hours on it.

would tact drive have any thing to do with this? Tact stopped working today.

No howling or change in sound. 

sounds like filter,----BUT if starving for oil---they will scream at you, so if you have no noise ----- well----- could be pump went south.

Re Tach, living in Canada common problem on the Tachs on the 54/74/84/95 Series is moisture gets in the Tach cable and freezes then it either twists the Tach cable end off at the Tach drive in front of the engine OR the Tach drive mechanism in front of the engine becomes worn and the bevel gears no longer mesh.

jimb2, I could not get filter today will have first thing tomorrow morning, Removed old filter it looked mostly clean.

we will see what happens.

Tractor is stored in a old barn but has dirt floor so moisture could be the tact problem.

I guess I should remove cable and check for wear on it. Has been working fine till this last cold weather set in. 

You can test tach and cable using your cordless drill, just what the RPM needle to determine FWD/REV on the drill.
That Tach drive mechanism is a common failure on those tractors, it can be fixed and if you search this site I instructed a poster how to repair.

I installed new filter and O rings as soon as I started tractor 3pt. lifted up good sign. power steering and FEL work fine. Never had to dead head remotes at all.

Checked for leaks all good with filter cover, BUT the two bolts with no paint where both leaking fluid out. The heads were both loose you could pull them right out

When you look at the threads you can see aluminum. I have not been here before, but I have had no leaks before either. I am thinking these thread into backer plate

only? So they are 5/16x3-3/4 I went and got 4" new ones and got the left one tight and the right one snug better than old ones were. still have a little dropping not to bad for now I don't know what cause this or how long they will stay snug. Question is there room behind plate can I pull MCV and put nuts to back them up, or should I do something else? 

Tach is not working as of now I will have to get it disconnected on engine end till I can get time to fix it.

What do you guys think about these bolt and how to fix it?     

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

1 minute ago, oldiron29 said:

When you look at the threads you can see aluminum

Those bolts along with 2 more in behind filter can hold the pump on back side on MCV. I would at the very least get as long of a bolt in there as you can, hopefully get into some good remaining threads. Maybe start with one a tad too long and see how long of a bolt you can get in there. 

CIHtech, What would make them strip out from pump?

So I should remove bolts one at a time and run a wire in hole to see where it bottoms out. I know the left one is grabbing better than the right one.

I reused the old copper washer I am sure new ones would be better.

Mabe you know what is with the Case IH parts look up? I could not get in it.  

Be careful with the longer bolts, if you bottom them out in the hole and continue to tighten you could easily strip out ant remaining threads.   If the bolt holes are stripped out, next option is to helicoil the bolt hole threads.