IH 234 hydro clutch (model 234) ( serial# 2070016jo 0847797

Ed59

Don't have a good picture of it in my head but I am going to assume it is stuck on pedal pivot. Disconnect any linkage and confirm. Iirc those are fabricated steel pedals. Rap on pedal around pivot and apply your favorite loose juice. Start working pedal back and forth. May need to apply heat.

I did Disconnect the  linkage and I can move it back and forth with some big ratchet straps and put a lot of oil on it. I will try to heat it up tomorrow. do I have to worry about anything behind the casting like rubber or seals. and sorry but what dose that pedal for if it's not a clutch.

Thank you very much 

A 234 hydro does have a clutch.  I think snoshoe is thinking about the larger hydro tractors.  They used a dump valve instead of a clutch.  The 234 needs the clutch for the gear driven PTO.  You may have to split the tractor to free it up.  Thro-out carrier may be seized to the shaft, and the clutch may be stuck fast to the flywheel and pressure plate. 

I spoke out of turn. I really don't remember a whole lot about that tractor BUT if pedal is still stuck with linkage disconnected.Splitting tractor is not going to free it. You may still have to split if something is stuck in clutch but you won't know that until pedal is free.

I do not remember what holds pedal to shaft but if you can get movement in pedal and work it off shaft. It would then be easy to then clean shaft. If you havn't done it. Removing floor board would probably give you better access.

By all means get whatever manuals you can find.

To the point about the PTO, this is not live power.  This maybe a 3 person job, with tractor off.  Wrench on front crank shaft holding engine.  One on seat depressing clutch or use storage flipper to keep clutch depressed.  Third person on pto use adapter with pry bar to turn pto.  It may come free.

Scott

3 hours ago, 460 said:

To the point about the PTO, this is not live power.  This maybe a 3 person job, with tractor off.  Wrench on front crank shaft holding engine.  One on seat depressing clutch or use storage flipper to keep clutch depressed.  Third person on pto use adapter with pry bar to turn pto.  It may come free.

Scott

That might work if he could depress the clutch pedal. 

As J-Mesh showed in the exploded view #11 is the storage flipper I was referring to.  My 244 has the same feature, the owners manual covers this, I guess for long term storage it is to keep the clutch depressed to eliminate exactly what you are experiencing.  Can't say I ever used it though but mine is kept in a dry environment, and used often.

4 hours ago, 460 said:

As J-Mesh showed in the exploded view #11 is the storage flipper I was referring to.  My 244 has the same feature, the owners manual covers this, I guess for long term storage it is to keep the clutch depressed to eliminate exactly what you are experiencing.  Can't say I ever used it though but mine is kept in a dry environment, and used often.

Am I missing something here?? Did the OP not state that the problem is he cannot depress the clutch pedal?  You cannot lock the clutch pedal disengaged if it won't depress.  So wrenches on the motor and PTO and prying around isn't going to do anything other than possibly break something.  

4 hours ago, Ed59 said:

TY. I will give this a try on the weekend and let you know.

Do not do this.  Just split the tractor. 

5 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Am I missing something here?? Did the OP not state that the problem is he cannot depress the clutch pedal?  You cannot lock the clutch pedal disengaged if it won't depress.  So wrenches on the motor and PTO and prying around isn't going to do anything other than possibly break something.  

Do not do this.  Just split the tractor. 

OK TY J-Mech I will not try it.

I think it's back to splitting it apart or just use it like it is?

1 hour ago, Ed59 said:

OK TY J-Mech I will not try it.

I think it's back to splitting it apart or just use it like it is?

I suppose you could use it as is, assuming you do not use the PTO.  If you use the PTO then you're going to have to fix it.  

1 hour ago, Ed59 said:

J-Mech were did you get your manual.

I don't have a manual for the 234.  Parts manual is available online for free through CIH (CNH). 

I buy all my manual through this company unless they do not have it.  They do have a workshop set for the 234. They may also have the 234 parts manual.  I did not look. 

https://www.peacefulcreek.com/products/lot-international-234-244-254-tractor-service-manual-repair-shop-ih-technical?variant=8906137632825&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2018-11-08&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign

Archived