So with all the hoopla going on i have contemplated joining the Nra or some other organization to give support to lobbying to preserve and protect the 2nd amendment.  

Nra has been in the news in years past for mismanagement and indeed perhaps outright fraud of monies they are caretakers of. So my question is this. What organizations are effective and out there? Is the Nra the best i can do? Is there someplace else I can join that will make better use out of my membership fees to help preserve this very important ammendment to our constitution?

• Like 2

I would gladly join the NRA and I would give them $5.00 to do so.

They could use my name as a member and use the member numbers to protect our second amendment.

The American Rifleman is a great magazine but I do not need it.

Don't need another card in my billfold.

Don't need an NRA blanket, etc., etc..

I would pay them to become a member but not on their fee schedule.

I would think they want member numbers and this would do it.

But I am sure the higher ups want their exorbitant salaries.

• Like 3

Me and the wife are members of the USCCA . From what I've seen they do alot. They are also there to help keep you up to date on all CCW laws and send you video's (by e-mail) that you can watch and has a hot line that you can use if you ever get in a jam and use your weapon.  Pm me if anybody wants more information 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We have the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. Does Iowa have similar???

The NRA takes a lot of flak from the anti's because they are the most effective.  

Truth to the mismanagement, I dunno. Maybe, a lot of money involved. But it is getting harder for me to believe anything I read any more. 

I will keep supporting the NRA. 

We can't let the anti's neuter any of our associations. 

Doesn't hurt to keep track of your state's legislation and comment with emails or phone calls. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Maybe I need to join more than 1 place then....

Join the democratic party!  A flood of conservative minded voters (say thirty million or so ) would shift it's internal balance farther to the right and and thwart the liberals far more than a opposing party would.  cab

• Like 2

I have been a life member since the 1970's.  I also am a member of Virginia Citizen Defense League  who keeps an eye on the legislature and organizes the 2nd Amendment Protest in Richmond, Va.  I understand GOA is very active in protecting our rights and am considering joining them as well as USCCA.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 615 spike said:

Join the democratic party!  A flood of conservative minded voters (say thirty million or so ) would shift it's internal balance farther to the right and and thwart the liberals far more than a opposing party would.  cab

Registered as such since high school. They no longer represent my values.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Wes806 said:

Me and the wife are members of the USCCA . From what I've seen they do alot. They are also there to help keep you up to date on all CCW laws and send you video's (by e-mail) that you can watch and has a hot line that you can use if you ever get in a jam and use your weapon.  Pm me if anybody wants more information 

+1

Mike

5 hours ago, acem said:

I've been a life member for over 20 years. They have their issues but are the most effective 2nd amendment political organization. Thx-Ace 

Like you ace i too am a life NRA member ,all i will say is without them we would be in the same boat as a lot of other countries. It takes numbers in membership to have clout, if everybody starts there own little gun lovers club that clout is gone. Do i think it is time for Wayne LaPierre to go , maybe Nra is the most powerfull lobby in D.C. ask any congressman.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, yellowrosefarm said:

I stopped contributing to the NRA when they started endorsing Dem candidates. 

Just a question what Democrats did they endorse? there was a time when Missouri had some good Democratic Congressmen Harold Volkmer to name one. If the NRA is endorsing anyone then you had better check there opponents record before you vote.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, from H to 80 said:

Just a question what Democrats did they endorse? there was a time when Missouri had some good Democratic Congressmen Harold Volkmer to name one. If the NRA is endorsing anyone then you had better check there opponents record before you vote.

Agreed. I vote for who I think the best candidate is. Used to work with a guy who was straight party line even if the devil were to be running. Just cause they got a letter in front of their name either way doesn't mean they're the best candidate. Greitens comes to mind. I voted for a Democrat in that election. 

• Like 2

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/18/former-pro-gun-democrats-reject-the-nra-and-triumph-in-primaries.html

Just one small example. Google "democrat candidates endorsed by the NRA"

They say they endorse people irregardless of their party affiliation based on their votes on 2nd amendment issues.  The problem with that is, in reality Democrats always toe the party line when pressured to do so from their party leadership. So, if they know their vote isn't really going to count against overwhelming opposition, they will vote for, hoping to appease some Conservative voters in their district. But when the rubber hits the road, at least in the last 15 years or so, the Progressives carry the day and all Dems are voting on the same team.  Repubs could learn a real lesson from that, but seemingly aren't interested.

• Like 1

Good topic, good timing, Ive been an NRA life member for 25 years, being kanadian this annoys A LOT OF PEOPLE up here, we have two good groups that I belong with but as you know the 2nd is your basis of fighting the antis, and even with infighting, ( I wish I could understand how this got so out of hand and in the mainstream media) they are still the 800 pound gorilla, we don't have a 2nd, all we have are crybaby urbans with nose rings, a lousy gun grabbing police force, and the icing on the cake, vote happy scummy politicians who think nothing of bans and seizures.

As for good timing, gurbir grewal the ag  of new jersey and the state are being sued by S&W for running an anti 2nd campaign on supposed false advertising used to sell guns to undesirables who commit crimes with them, I think your NRA will pounce on this.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Maybe I need to join more than 1 place then....

Iowa Firearms Coalition is a good one for in state things to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, 1466fan said:

Agreed. I vote for who I think the best candidate is. Used to work with a guy who was straight party line even if the devil were to be running. Just cause they got a letter in front of their name either way doesn't mean they're the best candidate. Greitens comes to mind. I voted for a Democrat in that election. 

x2

• Like 1
7 hours ago, 615 spike said:

I was actually thinking that would be a great idea. Destroy from within, take a card from their deck and beat them at their own game. Kind of genius really.

• Like 1

They soured me when they sent me a bill in the mail for membership dues years ago completely unsolicited.  I was probably 18 and lived at home attending jr college.  I support their views but after getting harassed like that for money I walked away.