Remember when

sandhiller

We used to sled down a good size hill at my Dads farm where he grew up. Down the hill we went and if you went fast enough you could make it on to and to the far side of the pond. I'm sure Dad always checked the ice to make sure it was ok, sure he told Mom too. We had a blast, don't remember anyone telling us to be careful or not to go on the ice or anything. Just fun and we all made through childhood!

• Like 2

Farmers once used dynamite to blow stumps in a field.  They would store the caps and fuse and dynamite in their barns.  Fuse is lot's  of fun to play with Caps are very explosive so even as a 6 YO we were smart enough to stay away from caps and sticks.   My neighbor was a teenager at the time, he would borrow a stick cut it into quarters, cap it, fuse it  and fish in the local swamp.  AND I am still here (probably because he always sent me home before going fishing).  There was a kid in schools I attended  that had thick glasses and a scarred up face, he was a poster child for children should not mess with caps and sticks.  Story was that he threw a rock into a box of caps.

Some societal supervision is probably not a bad idea!!!!

• Like 1

I remember riding in a radial flyer wagon while Dad pulled me around with the Cub Cadet 100.  One winter, he pulled me out the drive north into the field on a wooden flexible flyer sled using a barn rope behind his 706. We rode in the back of the pickup,  sitting on the toolbox.  Heck, I  grew up on the LH fender of a 706!  Learned how to operate most implements that way. Riding on the hay rack while square baling, in the seeder wagon showing oats and alfalfa. Riding around the farm on my bike.  Building a fort in the woods north of the house with scraps of wood and discarded items from the burn pile.  Looking up at the stars while lying on a round bale out in the field.  A great way to grow up!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

Alan Jackson, ain't it?

Bucky Covington had a song like this.

I was thinking " Are the good times really over for good " by Merle Haggard

• Like 1

How many of you guys drove to drivers ed? There were three or four cars and trucks in the parking lot when I took it. The drivers ed instructor just shook his head and said "you guys really shouldn't do that".

• Haha 2

This is going back many years ago but our drivers Ed instructor was also the athletic director of our school, he knew all the farm kids could drive so he paired several groups of us and all during drivers Ed we would go to his dads farm and do odd jobs and chores for his dad, I don’t think my partner and I ever drove any where except to his dad’s passed with flying colors?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oleman said:

Farmers once used dynamite to blow stumps in a field.  They would store the caps and fuse and dynamite in their barns.  Fuse is lot's  of fun to play with Caps are very explosive so even as a 6 YO we were smart enough to stay away from caps and sticks.   My neighbor was a teenager at the time, he would borrow a stick cut it into quarters, cap it, fuse it  and fish in the local swamp.  AND I am still here (probably because he always sent me home before going fishing).  There was a kid in schools I attended  that had thick glasses and a scarred up face, he was a poster child for children should not mess with caps and sticks.  Story was that he threw a rock into a box of caps.

Some societal supervision is probably not a bad idea!!!!

I needed some for sure. I borrowed the neighbors truck, caps and dynamite at 14. Large chunks of stump barely missed his truck and me. At 15 dad left for a meeting with instructions keep everything watered and fed if you have trouble go to your uncles. He came home to find a v-8 Mustang block and heads at the machine shop and my bank account depleted

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

How many of you guys drove to drivers ed? There were three or four cars and trucks in the parking lot when I took it. The drivers ed instructor just shook his head and said "you guys really shouldn't do that".

There are a couple of stories along those lines. 

My favorite involves a neighbor who is about my Uncle's age. His mom died young so it was him, his kid sister and his Dad. They had a small farm and his Dad worked in town to support them. He was driving young to help out. 

Drivers training came and he drove there. In class the teacher asked if anyone has driven before.  He says "Sure do, how do you think i got here ".

Another one involved my Dad. Teacher knew our family and saw Dad and goes " Anyone else know how to drive?" Dad said whenever they would hit a gravel road, teacher would have him drive.

Me in drivers training the biggest thing was i had driven enough before that I was a free hander. So used to needing my other hand to do other things that the 2 hands on the wheel seemed cumbersome. Made do until I was through class. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We blew alot of stumps.

There is nothing better when you are a kid than setting off dynamite!!!

Better yet was the time I told the adults the truck was parked too close. Shut up kid, you don't know what you are talking about. The look on my face must have been priceless when a large chunk of stump went through the windshield and landed in the front seat!

I wish I had a picture.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Got a school permit and drove myself to drivers ed. 74 f250 4x4. One day right in front of me a lady blew thru a stop sign at an intersection on the highway.  Lil chevett  right into the rear axle of a f100 of the old guy I was following. Pushed the motor back to the firewall on chevett and spun the old guy clear around. Saw first hand what could happen. Shook me up an made me think.

• Like 3

I remember when I was in first grade in 1961 the school I went to steamboat rock iowa used t have a shooting class for the seniors. They made a back stop in the gym. Used 22 shorts

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I never drove to drivers ed since it was about 25 miles but when I took it almost all the kids had never been behind the wheel before, then there was me that had been driving for half my life lol. I really made my instructor shake her head many times from all my bad habits. I still remember her constantly saying 2 HANDS ON THE WHEEL!!! hahaha. Oh boy that was only 14 years ago too lol. There was one other kid whose dad ran a gravel business so he knew how to drive pretty good too. I remember we were thinking how we could sneak a wheel spinner onto the driver ed car lol. Bad kids I tell ya lol

I know I'm not very old yet and we used to have lots of fun on hoods and GT Racers behind skidoos. Or old tractor tubes on big hills. I feel like the last 10 or so years is when things really went downhill on all this fun stuff. More or less when smartphones started taking over people's lives. Probably can't even let a kid play in a sandbox now without someone reporting it

• Like 2

3 hours ago, db1486 said:

I never drove to drivers ed since it was about 25 miles but when I took it almost all the kids had never been behind the wheel before, then there was me that had been driving for half my life lol. I really made my instructor shake her head many times from all my bad habits. I still remember her constantly saying 2 HANDS ON THE WHEEL!!! hahaha. Oh boy that was only 14 years ago too lol. There was one other kid whose dad ran a gravel business so he knew how to drive pretty good too. I remember we were thinking how we could sneak a wheel spinner onto the driver ed car lol. Bad kids I tell ya lol

I know I'm not very old yet and we used to have lots of fun on hoods and GT Racers behind skidoos. Or old tractor tubes on big hills. I feel like the last 10 or so years is when things really went downhill on all this fun stuff. More or less when smartphones started taking over people's lives. Probably can't even let a kid play in a sandbox now without someone reporting it

Ya talk about bad habits, I started driving in ‘64 drove a lot of different vehicles til I started my CDL through the fire dept in ‘75, our first day of instruction, forget everything you ever learned, your are gonna start over, forgot a lot of bad habits, learned a lot of good ones.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

5 hours ago, Craig61019 said:

This is going back many years ago but our drivers Ed instructor was also the athletic director of our school, he knew all the farm kids could drive so he paired several groups of us and all during drivers Ed we would go to his dads farm and do odd jobs and chores for his dad, I don’t think my partner and I ever drove any where except to his dad’s passed with flying colors?

Among the many things my dad did, he taught driver's ed.  As I grew up, he always told me to just pay attention to how he drove, so I did.  He taught me to crowd the railing on a narrow bridge, kick an automatic into neutral to help steer a rear wheel drive on ice, and lots of other good stuff.

I never took driver's ed, since it had no effect on our insurance premiums.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Craig61019 said:

By the time we reached Drivers Ed range, we could have taught the class.

Growing up on a gravel road made one appreciate the dangers of driving on marbles.

The city kids only seemed to know pavement.

The farm kids had experience early and respect for the things that could get you in trouble.

• Like 3

LOL, I loved drivers ed. Dad wanted me to take it cuz it lowered insurance. 

There were three of us. Instructor (think it was our football coach) asked where we wanted to go and usually up to Fort Randall Dam or some place cool. Always went somewhere we could stop for hamburgers and milkshakes. Yeah, we had bad habits, nothing dangerous, he would start by telling us the "proper" way and end by telling us "you boneheads are hopeless". ?

• Haha 2

Head basketball coach taught drivers ed in the classroom. Kinda a arrogant a$$. Athletic director did the driving part. We had a light tan '82 Olds Delta 88, 4 door of course. 3 of us in the car, plus the teacher. Before we left town every day, we were instructed to go through the McDonald's drive through. Teacher always got the same thing. Quarter pounder with cheese, filet, and a hot fudge sundae without nuts. Lol! We were allowed to get food too. Every time we drove he'd tell us where to go. Might drive 40+ miles away sometimes to someones place he knew. Once we got to where we were told, he'd get out and shoot the breeze for sometimes at least a half hour. We'd sit in the car making jokes about some of the things he'd say while we were driving around and try to decide if he looked more like the Hamburgler or Grimace from the McDonald's commercials year's ago. Lol! He had a brake pedal on his side of the car too, passenger seat. One day I was driving through town heading back to the high school and the one stop light turned yellow so I punched the Olds to beat the red light and all the sudden she bogged way down because he hit his brake pedal so I didn't go through the yellow light. He said to me, I don't know where you think you were going boy, but you were going way too fast! Both guys in the backseat just started laughing their butt's off. Lol! I heard about that one for a while.

• Haha 2

Our drivers ed was simply a regular class period during school. Sometimes we would drive somewhere during the lunch period. Us  farm kids had been driving pickups and tractors since before we could reach the clutch pedal (had to stand up to push the clutch). Drivers ed was just a goof off class for the farm kids. I had a broken shoulder with steel pins in it when I was supposed to be taking the class. I got to take it by my self later. I remember the only driving I did was about 20 miles on I-80 east of town and back.

As for sledding and growing up. Like the rest of us who grew up in the 50's and 60's....... a medical emergency meant 2 band aids.  By the time I was 6 or 7 I knew every square inch of 220 acres. Had my own muskrat trapline (I had 3 used traps that had been hanging in the barn since before I was born) when I was 7 or 8. I would get up at 3am and walk the 2 miles to the creek to check those 3 traps. Only rule was that I had to be back in time to catch the bus to school. As said in past threads, it was a common thing in high school to go out to someones car at lunch period or shop period to check out ( and sometimes shoot) somebodies new shotgun. 

I read a quote once about "scars and glory" lasting forever. Billy Dean had a song 20+ years ago about "I miss Billy the Kid".... had a line about "being late for supper was his only fear".     

Damn I miss those days. Dirt, scars, blood, swinging on hay ropes in the barn, building forts, .... just plain "advenruring". What do our grandkids get to remember.....playing Nintendo. 

• Like 3

On 12/16/2020 at 6:49 AM, Reichow7120 said:

Remember in college someone using the hood off of a Ford Bronco to do that. 

Yup, we used the hood off an o!d Chevy pickup,go right down M57 highway. No injuries either.

Way back when my brothers kids were in their teens on the farm he had a big old sow that had died. He and his wfe where going on a overnight snowmobile trip. Before they left he gave instructions to have the dead sow draged to road to be picked up. Those boys and their buddies also went sleding that night. When they got home after dark they remembered they had forgotten about dragging the dead sow to the road. That is when one of the lads had a bright idea. There was lots of snow on the sideroads and they were close to town lets take the sow for a ride. So downtown they went with the sow behind the truck with two guys sitting on the sow. up and down main street. This all went well untill the local Police didn't see the humor in it. They had some explaining to do to Dad the next morning also.  JUST GOOD OLD FUN.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, greenredneck said:

This all went well until the local Police didn't see the humor in it.  JUST GOOD OLD FUN.

Yep. I think every small town in Iowa (or anywhere else for that matter) has similar stories. Again, this was back in the day when kids were just having fun. Nothing destructive, just fun. Heck, there were a few occasions that the local law enforcement saw as much humor in it as the kids did. Usually just got got a stern talking to and all was good. Please be advised that I was never involved in such hoodlum like activities...these are just stories I've been told.

A story about my dad...... I didn't hear this one until after he had passed away so it can't be verified, but since his best friend told me, it's probably accurate.    This was from the 1930's. Times were different and every small town had a railroad going through and a lot of travel was done via rail.  It was a known fact that the school superintendent was a real axx and as mean as they come. (many people have told me this) It seems that he also had a milk cow that provided the family milk and also some income. Well, the story goes that dad and his brother decided that enough was enough....... they confiscated the superintendents milk cow and put her on the train to the Omaha Stockyards. Though never proven, everyone locally knew who the culprits were. I was told that not only were they school heroes, but a few of the parents got a good chuckle as well. 

My best friends' father (like another father to me) always told me this story from when he was young. 

One night, him and some friends decided to tip over the outhouse of the high school principal.  One good football tackle and the small building was on its  side, with the door pinned to the ground.  While  they were chuckling about their exploit, they heard a voice from inside: "You can tip it back up, Boys, I am in here!"  Nobody did and they ran off into the night. Never did get caught, he said.