Remember when

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I still pull my kids around on sleds behind the Jeep or tractors.  My 5 year old runs the log splitter and can pound a wedge with his little 3 lb hand sledge.  My 10 year old girl is the first one to

Posted Images

'48 caddy, different different times, in those daze if a kid wanted a gun his present was a red ryder. I remember skiing behind trucks in the 50s and the 60s. Helicopter style of upbringing now is nutz, but what can you expect in a society where a 2 year old girl being without a mask and her family are thrown off an airplane and the ducked up talking heads running countries and media think its ok to walk over peoples rights in the name of safety.

• Like 8

Sure do. A person could go play and not have to worry about being kidnapped. We sure didn;t watch TV was always something to do outdoors.

• Like 2

We used to do that except, we didn’t have snow....or a sled..so, we pulled a pallet behind a pickup on a dirt road. Not an injury in the bunch of us either....well, no permanent injury anyway. We had a blast doing things like that.

• Like 4

Remember in college someone using the hood off of a Ford Bronco to do that. 

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Reichow7120 said:

I remember in college being pulled on a Snapper comet behind a VW rabbit at about 30mph through a bean stubble field. No snow that time but the spindles on the old comet weren’t meant for 30......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I still pull my kids around on sleds behind the Jeep or tractors.  My 5 year old runs the log splitter and can pound a wedge with his little 3 lb hand sledge.  My 10 year old girl is the first one to operate the winch in any situation.  My 12 year old son has his own Willys CJ2A and drives it well.  My 17 year old can outwork most grown men and can deadlift 475 lb. And weighs 180. I don't baby any of them and I love them all. 

• Like 9

I remember when dad and mom first bought the farm from  my grand parents, we were not moved yet when school started and rode from where we lived to the farm in the back of the 1956 Ford F-250  to get on the school bus no car seats and no seat beltsalso remember learning to drive in that same truck at about 12 or 13

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Frank H said:

I still pull my kids around on sleds behind the Jeep or tractors.  My 5 year old runs the log splitter and can pound a wedge with his little 3 lb hand sledge.  My 10 year old girl is the first one to operate the winch in any situation.  My 12 year old son has his own Willys CJ2A and drives it well.  My 17 year old can outwork most grown men and can deadlift 475 lb. And weighs 180. I don't baby any of them and I love them all. 

I am sure the baby police would have never allowed them a lot of the things I let my kids or even my grandchildren do because I would be endangering them when I am really teaching them responsibllty at an early age?

• Like 5

Dad used to pull me behind our '47 m when there was enough snow on the road. Road gear with the tire chains jingling sounded like christmas!

• Like 4

Ah, the mighty Big Wheel.  Those suckers would catch air on a big enough hill.

We played in the street, rode in the back of trucks, summertime we were gone daylight til dark, no one worried.

We carried loaded guns, into the woods, by ourselves!  But just .22s, because we were, after all, just kids.

Taught ourselves how to run a chainsaw, about age 10, with a saw we "borrowed" out of the shed.

Learned to drive on an old Willys jeep we would "borrow" from a buddy's grandpa.  After pap had went to bed, we would sneak in, roll it to the bottom of the long driveway, pop the clutch, and away she went.  Those were the days...Yes indeed, before all the sissies took over.

• Like 5

Used a horse blanket. Reached through the neck opening,laid down on the blanket and grabbed the rack on the three wheeler. Worked good as long as you didn't let go.

• Haha 1

It applies to those of you born earlier but i thought it appropriate 

FB_IMG_1572626959108.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

My uncle got a hood from a wrecking yard in 1978 to give the kids rides. Pulled it behind his first snowmobile, Scorpion Whip 440.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, sandhiller said:

1AACD4F9-9461-41FB-A811-917BA181718E.thumb.jpeg.d5af52a54bdf18ee26411ae513fc1366.jpeg

That fun, as us older ones remember, wouldn't fly today. One of the many sensitive people in society would call 911 if they saw someone doing that now

• Like 1

I have come to the conclusion that the word "Safety" is the most dangerous word in the english language.

• Like 2