reloading questions

searcyfarms

my buddy does reloading for me, was helping him move recently and he was asking about brass and i found a whole coffee can full of bullets and then a bunch scattered on floor of shop. 

I said i will scoop these up and he said dont bother i dont have a way of knowing what they are my scale is only for powder. 

I said ok so what about weighing the bullets and sizing for something. No sizer outside of a caliper and scale doesnt do bullets. 

so i presume there is some kind of bullet sizer thing like a drill bit sizing plastic dohicky you can just slip the bullet thru for easy identification and i am looking at scales and they say so many grains and what not. 

so i look at this one and I know for a fact we use 168grain bullets in my 30.06 loads. I believe its 48 or 49grams of 4895 powder for them. 

my question is, when i go out and look at a conversion for grains/grams its saying 1 gram =15.4323584 and to me that just doesnt sound right. 

if that is correct i have 5x the amount of weight of powder as I do lead ? what am i missing. 

Basically im trying to figure out a scale that would work for 220 grain bullet and im guessing whatever amount of grams of powder it would take to push it - doubtful we would ever have something bigger than 30.06. 

Pretty easy to weight the bullet to determine it's weight.  My scale weights up to 500 grains, 437 grains per ounce so you could easily tell the weight of the bullet. Now, as to the type of bullet, well, I would have to be familiar with them to tell.

A reloading manual would tell you what powder, amount of powder to use etc.  A micrometer would measure the dia of the bullet to determine caliber.  

I was just up this afternoon  and looked at my 30-06  O3A3 Springfield, made by Remington.  I used a 150 grain nozzler bullet for deer hunting and a 120 or 125 grain Hornady (i think) for varmints , fox etc.  I am trying to figure out how much it is worth as I need to start getting rid of a few things at my age.  My brother sporterized it back in early 60's and I bought it from him.  One of my niece's husband is a gun nut and selling him one of my shotguns. Might see what he thinks about the rifle. 

I never reloaded a lot of rifle ammo, let my brother do that for me, but  I did a lot of shot gun in 20 gauge.  Sold all my loading stuff a few years ago. Practically gave it away I guess. 

Still do a little pheasant hunting but it is kind of like playing pool with no balls on the table.  Not many birds around.  Used 3 shells so far, shot one, lost two out of my pockets. 

Question is are you bored? You should be able to group them together by physical appearance and size. Then weigh each one and use a dial caliper to check diameter. Weight and diameter should have you where you need to be. But I believe your saying you want to be able to convert weight to caliber basically... well I wouldn't. PSP are different than a hollow point etc. Or am I missing your question 

oh ok for some reason i thot GRS when they described the amount powder and GR for the bullet weight they were differentiating between grams for powder and grains for bullet 

so then i could easily do find with one of the 750 Grain scales for him vs a 1500grain it seems like those are the most prominent out here 

still looking for one of those bullet sizing plastic things - im picturing something with various sized circles that someone at a drafting table would use 

59 minutes ago, 885 said:

If you start reloading yourself get a manual and stick to published data and ask questions if you are unsure. Better safe than a kaboom

no sir i do not plan to do it, my buddy has all the dies and an old slide scale of some sort but it must not go over 100grs and is just a powder scale he said 

said he couldnt weight bullets with it when i asked him - he got all his stuff from his gpa that passed 

Oh I got you. They make some digital scales that are in grains that weigh with enough accuracy and range that aren't too expensive. I have never used an electronic one though, so no personal experience 

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/rcbs-electronic-pocket-scale-powder-measure?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop|Generic|AllProducts|High|SSCCatchAll&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2uH-BRCCARIsAEeef3njcF0Yl3XGbS_I0DcLRkuUoN3xHlngVf8tNXPmUS88FH5cU0EC8zUaAs9dEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Take a bullet out of a new box you know to be your 168 grain bullets. Or whatever weight you are looking for.

Weigh it using the powder scale.

Then weigh the ones you aren't sure of and see if they match the weight of the new one, out of the box.

This can be done for any weight.

I made a boo-boo and put bullets in some .264 without powder. About 10 rounds.

I took one that I knew had powder and the bullet and weighed it.

The ones that were 68 grains less were the ones without powder.

Pulled the bullets, put in the powder and seated the bullets. Job done.

Actually bullet determination is very simple there are probably only a few rounds an individual shoots.  You should get to know them through handling. We don't all have to know a .17 Cal to a 5"-54 Cal. and everything in between!  My gunsmith buddy could bore me to tears discussing the nuances between various projectiles and propellants but I always keep my loads very basic and easy to replicate. I rarely reload anything anymore, out of the box is good enough for me.

Just to further the confusion; Shotgun shells in the past were, (and probably still are) rated in "Drams". After smokeless powder came on the seen they went to "Drams Equivalent". To me, Dram sounds pretty similar to gram.

8 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Just to further the confusion; Shotgun shells in the past were, (and probably still are) rated in "Drams". After smokeless powder came on the seen they went to "Drams Equivalent". To me, Dram sounds pretty similar to gram.

oh yea  i remember that but i got confused with the grs vs gr so got sideways on the grams, grains thing - i know he loads 223, 243, 270, 308 and 30.06 - i think his mom n dad have some mauser stuff like 5 something or 6 something, 7 something and he also has an 8mm mauser or maybe he traded that off cant remember but his gpa made stuff out of ole mauser actions maybe those are the bullets he is trying to sort thru 

Archived