Jump to content

cataract surgery


from H to 80
 Share

Recommended Posts

Going in tomorrow morning for cataract surgery, and i have to admit i am a little nervous never been knocked out ,actually never been in hospital other than a couple of trips to the ER. I have been putting it off for a couple of years and it has gotten to the point i can't drive after dark at all. Our insurance stinks but our family deductible has been met for the year, so i figured now or never,well actually the wife said get it done. See you tomorrow evening ,hopefully more clearly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

Going in tomorrow morning for cataract surgery, and i have to admit i am a little nervous never been knocked out ,actually never been in hospital other than a couple of trips to the ER. I have been putting it off for a couple of years and it has gotten to the point i can't drive after dark at all. Our insurance stinks but our family deductible has been met for the year, so i figured now or never,well actually the wife said get it done. See you tomorrow evening ,hopefully more clearly?

Don’t worry about the anesthesia. My wife as probably been under over 50 times if not double that. She also needs cataract surgery her eyes have gotten bad this year she is 46. So it happens to young people also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had mine done in 05 I was not put out I was awake for the whole thing I was sedated so I would not move. I have worn thick glasses my whole life now I only need them for reading got them removed from my driver license.   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had mine removed 3 years ago at 53 . I was totally awake for the surgery they just numbed my eyes so I could not feel the surgery . I had 2 cataracts on my left eye and 1 on my right . Had lense implants . I wore glasses since 1st grade in school and didnt need them at all after surgery . The surgeon said I may need a cheap pair of Walmart reading glasses but as of yet I have no trouble reading and dont need them . I have 20/20 vision in my right eye and 20/25 in my left now . Got the glasses restriction removed from my drivers licence too .

Good luck and hope all goes well with your surgery .

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, from H to 80 said:

Going in tomorrow morning for cataract surgery, and i have to admit i am a little nervous never been knocked out ,actually never been in hospital other than a couple of trips to the ER. I have been putting it off for a couple of years and it has gotten to the point i can't drive after dark at all. Our insurance stinks but our family deductible has been met for the year, so i figured now or never,well actually the wife said get it done. See you tomorrow evening ,hopefully more clearly?

Hope it goes smoothly for you and you have outstanding results as have been reported here.  Good luck!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had both eyes done, local drops an hour before hand then a freeze drop before hand with a dialating drop, 15 mins and then recoup for a time to clear the eyes and patch for 24 hours, saw the doc the next day and all well, good luck.

Don't nervously tap your foot when he does his cut, they really get pissed at that.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

Had both eyes done, local drops an hour before hand then a freeze drop before hand with a dialating drop, 15 mins and then recoup for a time to clear the eyes and patch for 24 hours, saw the doc the next day and all well, good luck.

Don't nervously tap your foot when he does his cut, they really get pissed at that.

The foot bone is connected to the eye bone!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a ferry pilot crew deliver a plane to us. One pilot was well into his 70s and wasn't wearing glasses. I asked him how that could be and he responded that he'd got new lenses due cataracts and got some sort that corrects both near and far vision! I asked my eye doc about them and he didn't recommend them as there's some risk v little risk with distant lenses which require reading glasses. I was quite amazed that the capability is there, but apparently not cheap, to have no glasses.

Neighbor wore glasses all his life and now just needs them for reading.

I've got the beginning of a cataract in one eye. It still corrects ok but not the 20-10 that I had as a kid. I miss those days when I could show off and read distant street signs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the start of Cataracts in both eyes.

It's like looking through a fuzzy cloud.

Since on Medicare, they will not do Cataract surgery until the eyes cannot be corrected with glasses to 20/20.

In the mean time, I blink all the time trying to get the fuzzy out of both eyes, have halo's around headlights and a lot of glare.

I guess there is a Glare Test that can prove I can't see at night to drive and Medicare will then do it.

I am looking into this now. No pun intended.

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had cataract surgery about 4 years ago now, very happy with the results. I was awake, they just put all kinds of glop in my eye and I remember a kaleidoscope of very bright pinpoints of light. The next morning I went for a follow up exam and that was the ah hah moment that I could see much better!  I got the "blended vision", one eye for close up and one for far away. Originally I was near sighted in one eye and farsighted in the other so I did not have to adjust to it. I can read very small print and see almost 20/20 at distance.  Each eye was done 2 weeks apart but maybe now they do both? Don't know. You will wish you did this long ago!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had both of mine done last month a week apart.  They give you an IV that makes you forget the surgery.  I don't remember anything from right after being wheeled into the operating room until they wheeled me out.  Really it is not too bad.  I went from -12 diopter to -2.25, a pretty big improvement.  Uncorrected I can read perfectly, but my distance vision is a bit blurry.  I can drive, but I cannot read signs at a distance without correction.  I am wearing contacts now to make the fine correction so that one eye can see distance, while the other allows me to read without reading glasses.  PM me if you have any corrections or concerns.  Rawleigh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right eye done So far so good The brightness of the colors are amazing like going from the old motorola black and white to one of these new plasma TV's.    Even with the eye guard and dark glasses, i can only say WOW.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

Right eye done So far so good The brightness of the colors are amazing like going from the old motorola black and white to one of these new plasma TV's.    Even with the eye guard and dark glasses, i can only say WOW.

Good to hear it went well !! The difference is truley amazing even right afterwards . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, New Englander said:

Had a ferry pilot crew deliver a plane to us. One pilot was well into his 70s and wasn't wearing glasses. I asked him how that could be and he responded that he'd got new lenses due cataracts and got some sort that corrects both near and far vision! I asked my eye doc about them and he didn't recommend them as there's some risk v little risk with distant lenses which require reading glasses. I was quite amazed that the capability is there, but apparently not cheap, to have no glasses.

Neighbor wore glasses all his life and now just needs them for reading.

I've got the beginning of a cataract in one eye. It still corrects ok but not the 20-10 that I had as a kid. I miss those days when I could show off and read distant street signs.

Used to make fun of the older guys at work cause they couldn't read numbers on a tap or drill bit. Now I'm the old guy. Gotta get them in the right light even with glasses. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My neighbor had eye surgery we were in our late 60's  at the time.  He is a retired COP and then a COP dog trainer, he had a retired COP dog biggest and best trained yellow lab I have ever seen. Within 6 weeks he said he had the best all around vision he had ever had. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it very refined  procedure ,wife had both , good . I will need that in the future. 
six months from now you won’t remember tomorrow ,good luck I don’t what to say to ease the stress 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...