Looked at the 5088 today.

9 hours ago, superih said:

Central Michigan, pretty much everyone wears shorts, too hot and humid around here.

On the 5088, is it all wheel drive?  If so buy it. The trans is not that hard to work on

Funny, it must be a area by area thing. Im further South than you are.

On 12/14/2020 at 11:55 PM, Mitch 865 said:

Me and dad went to the dealer to look at the 5088 today. The tractor started and ran really well. The sheet metal was in great shape. Repainted 16 years ago. No oil leaks. The cab interior needs a cab kit. The head liner is held up with duck tape. The seat is shot with the new seat assembly to be installed. Floor mat is full off holes. The tractor has 7966 hrs on it. Parking brake is a linkage and hold well on slopes. My concern is the tractor has a test harness installed. The transmission shifts with no issues. Engine was majored about 6600 hrs after air cleaner tube cracked and sucked dirt in ruining the engine. Dealer is wanting 21900.00 plus 250.00 delivery fee. With the lack of the sentry should I run and not look back. What are your opinions about it?

What in the **** is a $250.00 delivery fee on a 30 year old tractor?  Tell them to throw in a new sentry unit, change the hy-tran and you will pay that fee......I just don't understand why everyone tacks on "fees"

Matt

• Like 3

Sounds over priced to me, unless its a FWA.  Sentry isn't cheap and the damage may have been done already.

I paid less than that for my 5288 with 5k hours.  

DSCN1560.JPG

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, toyboy said:

Sounds over priced to me, unless its a FWA.  Sentry isn't cheap and the damage may have been done already.

I paid less than that for my 5288 with 5k hours.  

DSCN1560.JPG

nice tractor 

Over priced for me, but I am not everyone.............

I wear shorts year around in the house.  But outside unless I am sitting on the deck, I have pants on, no matter what temperature, I get cruddy enough with pants and a t-shirt, couldn't imagine shorts.  Maybe I do to much?

Maybe I'm not understanding something on the sentry thing but I always kinda thought of the sentry like a fuse in the electrical system (probably a poor analogy) what i mean is it protects your transmission if something goes wrong inside tranny, its suppose to keep transmission from damaging itsself.

Now the test harness to me is like putting a penny under a house fuse or wrapping an old style car fuse in foil. Wont do damage in and of its self, but if something goes wrong it won't stop damage either. Guys that talk about the harness causing damage always make me wonder if I'm confused or they are?

Interesting analogy on the sentry. It does protect the transmission.

That sounds like alot for a 2wd 5088 but not too much for a fwa 5088. Location is very important.

I don't wear shorts unless I'm swimming or otherwise in the water. Shorts are for girlies.

And most y'all have no idea what hot and humid is. Come visit me next August. 98F and 75 percent humidity on a nice day. The national weather service had an official high of 117F at Fort Smith in 2012! It's fun wringing the sweat out of your underwear! 

You'll do know winter though.

Thx-Ace 

1 minute ago, acem said:

That sounds like alot for a 2wd 5088 but not too much for a fwa 5088. Location is very important.

I don't wear shorts unless I'm swimming or otherwise in the water. Shorts are for girlies.

And most y'all have no idea what hot and humid is. Come visit me next August. 98F and 75 percent humidity on a nice day. The national weather service had an official high of 117F at Fort Smith in 2012! It's fun wringing the sweat out of your underwear! 

Thx-Ace 

Wear shorts and you get more air up under “there”. Plus more exposed skin absorbs more vitamin d from the sun. 

The sun will cook you here. Exposed skin in our summer climate is dangerous.

My uncle told me when I was a kid. Wear a long sleeve shirt and a big hat to hide from the sun under. Shorts weren't even considered!

I wear a straw cowboy hat, long sleeve white cotton shirt and long pants all summer. The cotton absorbs sweat and evaporates, it's alot cooler. It's the only way to work in our heat. I wear tee shirts on warm days in the winter.

Now if you're sitting in the shade it's different. However I'm out in the sun most of the time.

Thx-Ace 

10 minutes ago, acem said:

Thx-Ace 

Oh. We get plenty of that same hot and humid here. I used to wouldn't ever wear a pair of shorts out. Discovered how great the camo cargo shorts were when oldest played in baseball tournament about 9 months out of the year. All the other parents looked to me as the signal for the official start of spring when I broke them out. 

30 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Maybe I'm not understanding something on the sentry thing but I always kinda thought of the sentry like a fuse in the electrical system (probably a poor analogy) what i mean is it protects your transmission if something goes wrong inside tranny, its suppose to keep transmission from damaging itsself.

Now the test harness to me is like putting a penny under a house fuse or wrapping an old style car fuse in foil. Wont do damage in and of its self, but if something goes wrong it won't stop damage either. Guys that talk about the harness causing damage always make me wonder if I'm confused or they are?

The sentry pretty much keeps the transmission from going into two gears at once which will gut a transmission, thats a good way of explaining comparing a test harness to a penny in a fuse box to me you are not confused, some have ran them for years with no problems we ran test harnesses for a while but didn't have that luck.

• Thanks 1

Last night I talked to the original owner. He has all the service records for the tractor including the order forum when he purchased it new. He told me the tractor has around 200 hrs on for new 18 X 38 michelin radials including the duals at 1k per tire. He only ran the tractor one season less than 150 hrs pulling a round baler. Today the owner of the dealers ship called told me that 19,900 was the lowest he could go with the 250.00 deliver charge. I told him he was too high and that was going to look else where. The tractor is in S.E Mo.about 60 north of Mo.and Ark.boarder. I live 15 miles S.E.of Marion Il. But the dealer won't even drop the delivery fee because of the distance. Dad says me has too much in the tractor as trade in. I have found a couple other tractor that I'm going to look at a 5140 and 5240 that I found.

Last night I talked to the original owner. He has all the service records for the tractor including the order forum when he purchased it new. He told me the tractor has around 200 hrs on for new 18 X 38 michelin radials including the duals at 1k per tire. He only ran the tractor one season less than 150 hrs pulling a round baler. Today the owner of the dealers ship called told me that 19,900 was the lowest he could go with the 250.00 deliver charge. I told him he was too high and that was going to look else where. The tractor is in S.E Mo.about 60 north of Mo.and Ark.boarder. I live 15 miles S.E.of Marion Il. But the dealer won't even drop the delivery fee because of the distance. Dad says me has too much in the tractor as trade in. I have found a couple other tractor that I'm going to look at a 5140 and 5240 that I found.