Looked at the 5088 today.

Me and dad went to the dealer to look at the 5088 today. The tractor started and ran really well. The sheet metal was in great shape. Repainted 16 years ago. No oil leaks. The cab interior needs a cab kit. The head liner is held up with duck tape. The seat is shot with the new seat assembly to be installed. Floor mat is full off holes. The tractor has 7966 hrs on it. Parking brake is a linkage and hold well on slopes. My concern is the tractor has a test harness installed. The transmission shifts with no issues. Engine was majored about 6600 hrs after air cleaner tube cracked and sucked dirt in ruining the engine. Dealer is wanting 21900.00 plus 250.00 delivery fee. With the lack of the sentry should I run and not look back. What are your opinions about it?

I will start by saying that I own a 5088, but I am not an expert, there are others on here that have much more experience with the 88 series than I do. Mine has the sentry, I know several people who run a test harness, mostly because they haven’t had the extra cash for a new sentry. I have been told the big key with using the test harness is to run the tractor like a gear shift tractor, put it in a gear and leave it there. I would be more interested in whether or not the tranny has been updated, that is the key. With the hours that tractor has, it probably has, but ask the dealer, and ask for documentation. Fresh motor is a plus. As for the price, I have no idea where you are located, and that makes a ton of difference. I did well on mine, 5400 hrs, good tranny, good motor, sentry, original paint, cab needing a little work. Got it for under 10k at an auction sale, not saying the price on the one your are looking at is necessarily out of line, but I’d sure like some more answers on the tranny as far as the update, etc.

Prices on those are all over the board. Was one down this way that fits the description of the one you describe appearance wise, recently sold privately that was on consignment at the dealer. It was a early one, had around 50% rubber, around 73-7400 hours, sold for 17000. It was in dire need of a overhaul. It looked like it had 2 exhausts on the engine. The exhaust pipe and the breather tube. It was bad. I'm not going to speculate what the one you're looking at is worth. 

1 hour ago, Thesd5488 said:

Up here that’s a 7000 tractor needing that work

Lucky seller and unknowledgeable buyer is what I was thinking

Must be a 4x4 for sure. Sounds expensive if it has a sentry ....

ouch, that seems high to me - i own a 5088, bought it spring of 18 from second owner, trannie updates done at 5000ish hours,  new engine, less than 100 hours, cab kit/repainted by dealership in 2012, air seat, new michelin radials on rear, bolt on duals, just shy of 9400 hours, two owner talked to both of them and only one dealer ever worked on it, talked to the mechanic at dealership that did all the work to it and where it was sold new. Had a bad alternator, bad batteries, A/C was converted BUT didnt hold charge. 

ours is 2wd, does not have a sentry/test harness, no clue how long it had been in there before I purchased, I clutch it if I use slapstick while roading outside of that rarely use it other than manual shifting. Just pick a gear and go. 

We bought it knowing the AC would need to be redone, spent 2200 on that, new everything. 

paid 16250, cost 500 for hauler and delivery, spent 2200 on AC, had alternator rebuilt, replaced batteries so I guess around another 250 on that. 

1124911135_DadandIand5088.thumb.jpg.fd978325b9cbf99c101cbc0e11e6aed9.jpg

• Like 2
6 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

ouch, that seems high to me - i own a 5088, bought it spring of 18 from second owner, trannie updates done at 5000ish hours,  new engine, less than 100 hours, cab kit/repainted by dealership in 2012, air seat, new michelin radials on rear, bolt on duals, just shy of 9400 hours, two owner talked to both of them and only one dealer ever worked on it, talked to the mechanic at dealership that did all the work to it and where it was sold new. Had a bad alternator, bad batteries, A/C was converted BUT didnt hold charge. 

ours is 2wd, does not have a sentry/test harness, no clue how long it had been in there before I purchased, I clutch it if I use slapstick while roading outside of that rarely use it other than manual shifting. Just pick a gear and go. 

We bought it knowing the AC would need to be redone, spent 2200 on that, new everything. 

paid 16250, cost 500 for hauler and delivery, spent 2200 on AC, had alternator rebuilt, replaced batteries so I guess around another 250 on that. 

1124911135_DadandIand5088.thumb.jpg.fd978325b9cbf99c101cbc0e11e6aed9.jpg

Nice tractor. Why you guys wear shortpants?

• Haha 2

I bought a 5488 2wd original paint. 20.8 duals. 3,500 hours. Needed ac compressor and valve and dryer. For $18,500 almost 2 years a go. It does have the sentry box. Real nice tractor. In the last 2 years it has needed nothing but filters and tie rod ends ive put about 800 hours on it. What a nice tractor!! When i was looking for it i would not even consider it if it was running a test harness. 

20200808_144441_HDR.jpg

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

Thank you, cause its HOT down here in the summer LOL - and we wanna be like *runner 

Just curious, you don't see that around here even if it's a 100. Different regions I guess.

• Like 1

my buddy gives me heck about it but i run tractors with shorts/tennis shoes all the time, i like to be comfy, cut grass, work outside period in shorts all summer. 

i spent too many miserable days in hay fields, bucking bales at 100 degrees with long sleeves to save my arms only to brought down by heat stress - suck it up butter cup, cold rag, more water and keep bucking..........

burned to a crisp on non cabbed tractors in the summer heat, couple tractors had cabs but no AC were like sweat boxes even with windows open so not sure whats worse. 

i dont do well in the heat to this day, headaches hit me, makes me sick to my stomach or i get chills/shakey, some folks say i have had heat stroke, who knows, never had time to go to dr had too much to do at that age. 

if i can do things in spurts in the heat i do better but even working in the heat in the shade it can wear on me after a couple hours. 

I would drink a couple gallons of water a day back then. now much less but i cant work like that anymore 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, cobfly said:

Just curious, you don't see that around here even if it's a 100. Different regions I guess.

Here either. Have a cousin from the city that would come up to run a combine during harvest cause he thought it was fun. Show up in shorts and nice shoes but never got dirty. Didn’t run machine much cause he didn’t know what he was doing or how to push a combine. The rest of us would be dusty, dirty, and maybe oil and grease on our jeans depending on what we had to fix. Once a few of us rebuilt an alternator on the back of a pickup and when we were done he’s telling someone that we fixed it meaning he was involved. Once parked the tractor and loaded grain cart in a mud hole. That was an experience trying to get the wheat off. 
  I know we all do things different so I don’t look down on you guys that do wear short in different parts of the country.  That’s just what I think of when I see shorts on the farm.  If I showed up there you guys would probably give me crap for sweat drenching my jeans in the summer. That’s getting to be more common the older I get. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

Here either. Have a cousin from the city that would come up to run a combine during harvest cause he thought it was fun. Show up in shorts and nice shoes but never got dirty. Didn’t run machine much cause he didn’t know what he was doing or how to push a combine. The rest of us would be dusty, dirty, and maybe oil and grease on our jeans depending on what we had to fix. Once a few of us rebuilt an alternator on the back of a pickup and when we were done he’s telling someone that we fixed it meaning he was involved. Once parked the tractor and loaded grain cart in a mud hole. That was an experience trying to get the wheat off. 
  I know we all do things different so I don’t look down on you guys that do wear short in different parts of the country.  That’s just what I think of when I see shorts on the farm.  If I showed up there you guys would probably give me crap for sweat drenching my jeans in the summer. That’s getting to be more common the older I get. 

Same here. My lily white legs next to never see the sun. No matter how hot it is. Same with Dad and my brother. Decides a pair of shorts on me wearing my work cowboy boots looks really goofy. I do wear short sleeves and sleeveless T shirts all summer long. And yes we square bale. Handling hay or straw has never bothered my arms.

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

i dont do well in the heat to this day, headaches hit me, makes me sick to my stomach or i get chills/shakey, some folks say i have had heat stroke, who knows, never had time to go to dr had too much to do at that age

You probably did have a heat stroke of some sort. What you describe is like someone we know that had a severe heat stroke. A year younger than my Dad. Back when he was in High school he was training for high school football. This was August 1972. Dad remembers how hot and humid it was that day doing hay. Anyhow during this football practice 3 players went down with heat stroke. One that Dad knew went down and spent over a month in a coma.  His buddy died that night of the stroke. The 3rd guy wasn't as bad. The guy we knew always felt bad about not being able to go to his friend's funeral because of the coma. When he came to, his friend had been in the ground over a month. He has had terrible trouble with heat ever since. The parents of the 2 students actually sued the school district to help with medical bills. It made it all the way to the state Supreme Court between all the appeals.

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Same here. My lily white legs next to never see the sun. No matter how hot it is. Same with Dad and my brother. Decides a pair of shorts on me wearing my work cowboy boots looks really goofy. I do wear short sleeves and sleeveless T shirts all summer long. And yes we square bale. Handling hay or straw has never bothered my arms.

You probably did have a heat stroke of some sort. What you describe is like someone we know that had a severe heat stroke. A year younger than my Dad. Back when he was in High school he was training for high school football. This was August 1972. Dad remembers how hot and humid it was that day doing hay. Anyhow during this football practice 3 players went down with heat stroke. One that Dad knew went down and spent over a month in a coma.  His buddy died that night of the stroke. The 3rd guy wasn't as bad. The guy we knew always felt bad about not being able to go to his friend's funeral because of the coma. When he came to, his friend had been in the ground over a month. He has had terrible trouble with heat ever since. The parents of the 2 students actually sued the school district to help with medical bills. It made it all the way to the state Supreme Court between all the appeals.

oh my, thats sad, 

i can remember several times getting dizzy, woosey, laying under a tree, hay crew pouring water on me from the 5 gallon cooler trying to help me get my wits to hold my end of the crew up - i did pass out a time or two but for some reason i was prone to that, did that in basketball practice from time to time, threw up and the whole bit, coach always warned me to take it easy but i was too competitive, im was all or nothing. Just wired like that I guess. 

anyway, i get dirty, greasy, cut, scratched, burned, poked, but im in shorts most the time from april to sept cept for work they make me wear jeans LOL 

19 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

oh my, thats sad, 

i can remember several times getting dizzy, woosey, laying under a tree, hay crew pouring water on me from the 5 gallon cooler trying to help me get my wits to hold my end of the crew up - i did pass out a time or two but for some reason i was prone to that, did that in basketball practice from time to time, threw up and the whole bit, coach always warned me to take it easy but i was too competitive, im was all or nothing. Just wired like that I guess. 

anyway, i get dirty, greasy, cut, scratched, burned, poked, but im in shorts most the time from april to sept cept for work they make me wear jeans LOL 

Same here. Soon as it warms up the camo cargo shorts come out. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, superih said:

Central Michigan, pretty much everyone wears shorts, too hot and humid around here.

On the 5088, is it all wheel drive?  If so buy it. The trans is not that hard to work on

funny you say that my aunt/uncle lived in mt clemens mi for years and retired back here in MO. My aunt lived in shorts in MI yr round even with all the big snows there and dressed the same here