Oops! chainsaw carnage

Pops had a maple block roll off the pile and it landed squarely on the handle/gas tank of his 390xp.  Said he heard the crunch from the cab of the backhoe. 

185E265B-C3D1-4170-B948-F0AE377D58FD.jpeg

83E6C94E-9870-4542-8146-2F46D1B5101A.jpeg

• Sad 1
9 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Pops had a maple block roll off the pile and it landed squarely on the handle/gas tank of his 390xp.  Said he heard the crunch from the cab of the backhoe. 

185E265B-C3D1-4170-B948-F0AE377D58FD.jpeg

83E6C94E-9870-4542-8146-2F46D1B5101A.jpeg

Ouch!  Replaceable at least without a lot work.

what does a new OEM tank cost for one of those?  $100 range?

Just now, Mudfly said:

Ouch!  Replaceable at least without a lot work.

what does a new OEM tank cost for one of those?  $100 range?

I just did one on my 385, i think it was around 130, but i bought some other stuff too so i am not 100 percent sure. 

11 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Not a quick fix 

I COULD put the leaky tank from my 385 on it.. but I am disinclined to.. have another one of those and the 385, not so urgent I want to do it twice. really its about a 10 minute disassembly, maybe a 20 min reassembly. I am glad it didn't hit the air filter housing. 

• Like 1
Just now, 1586 Jeff said:

Better that the saw got squished than for Willie to have gotten squashed!!!

well, he was in the backhoe moving pieces around, probably well out of harms way

Just now, nomorejohndeere said:

too bad it's not as strong as a steel would be..........

Im betting a 30”x4’ long maple log would break just about whatever it landed on

• Haha 1

Maybe you should tell Pops to be more careful ... Then again maybe not.... Again maybe you should just fix his saw and accidents happen.....???

Being more careful: Years ago like 1989 or so I had a Partner 5000 plus saw, similar to a Husqy. Back when the engine tag still said "Electrolux Sweden" on it. I was cutting firewood and had to move my truck out of the way, which I did. Then I moved the truck back to where it was so I could keep cutting. That is when I .........ran over the saw.?

• Sad 1
14 minutes ago, oleman said:

I have always considered maple to be a cabinet grade wood so only scraps would be burned for heat.

People burn oak all the time.  Have even heard of people burning cherry and walnut.  

31 minutes ago, oleman said:

I have always considered maple to be a cabinet grade wood so only scraps would be burned for heat.

Soft Maples are everywhere here, every farm yard has or had em. Maple burns hot but fast. They start to get hollow as they get older.

Hard wood is preferable,  but always thought it a shame to burn nice oak, walnut ect. Seamed like too valuable of wood. But lasts longer and less ashes.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

People burn oak all the time.  Have even heard of people burning cherry and walnut.  

We burn just about anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Soft Maples are everywhere here, every farm yard has or had em. Maple burns hot but fast. They start to get hollow as they get older.

Hard wood is preferable,  but always thought it a shame to burn nice oak, walnut ect. Seamed like too valuable of wood. But lasts longer and less ashes.

Ain't that the truth! Don't know how many chords of maple just went on the brush pile this summer.

It's time to get started in earnest cleaning up some more of them around the farm. Trouble is my helper took a tumble, broke 4 ribs and cracked two more. A lot of the ones I want on the ground I won't do without someone around to dial 911!

• Sad 1
58 minutes ago, exSW said:

May as well chsnge the buffers while you're at it.

That saw has about 5 hours on it. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

That saw has about 5 hours on it. 

Well that's different. I'd still check them close for accident trauma.

1 hour ago, oleman said:

Whenever someone gives me a quote on the maple logs in my woodlot, it always figures up less than what it would bring as firewood.  cab