Sledgehammer is Santa Claus!

billonthefarm

Remember a thread awhile back that talked about the ear flap hats?  I mentioned I would sure like to find a old school Moormans hat like everyone had back in the day.  Well ole Sledge fixed me up!  I will put the Moormans one one my book cabinet in the office but I am gonna wear the Pioneer one when it gets cold!  Thanks sledgehammer.  Santa won’t forget you either!,

07B13513-A9C0-45A5-A229-46B2B15084DC.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Cool. (What’s a MoorMan?)

Moor Mans was a feed supplier for farmers.  There were many but in our area Moor Mans was one of the most popular.  Kent, Super Sweet,  and FS also had a big presence here.  Back in the day those salesman were busy guys.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, billonthefarm said:

Moor Mans was a feed supplier for farmers.  There were many but in our area Moor Mans was one of the most popular.  Kent, Super Sweet,  and FS also had a big presence here.  Back in the day those salesman were busy guys.

We had Moor Mans, Wayne, Kent, Purina, Super Sweet and Farmland 

• Like 1

I found that Moormans hat among my Grandfather’s things. He had several but they were all smaller sizes. That was the largest I could find. You’re welcome and Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

Do they still make hats like that for farm suppliers anymore? I would love to find one like those pictured above but haven't seen one in years. Why did they stop making them? I have one from when they introduced Broadstrike dual herbicide which should tell you how old it is. Would like to find one to replace it as it is getting ragged. I don't like stocking hats for winter use or at all for that matter.

26 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Do they still make hats like that for farm suppliers anymore? I would love to find one like those pictured above but haven't seen one in years. Why did they stop making them? I have one from when they introduced Broadstrike dual herbicide which should tell you how old it is. Would like to find one to replace it as it is getting ragged. I don't like stocking hats for winter use or at all for that matter.

This is mine. It's a carhart that came to me from Farm Credit. The ones that I prefer have "fuzzy" earlaps, although I haven't seen one of those for many years.

20201213_210006.thumb.jpg.8581890961a8efeebceb85b3edf5409d.jpg

31 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Haven’t seen any new ones in a long time. The most common around here that I remember were FS, Pioneer, Golden Harvest, Moormans, and Agrigold.  

Moorman's had there plant,they may have had more than one, in Quincy Illinois. We fed it here until the mid 90's. We had a nieghbor who also fed it ,and he had a lot of hogs , so he would drive his 1968 IH 1600 up to Quincy to pick up his feed. I was friends with his son so occasionally i would ride along.               He would take two extra cans of gas along and all three of us would pile in , me in the middle since i was younger, in 5th gear the shifter would be between my legs and it wasn't very comfortable.  He would back the truck to the dock , hand them his order and we would head to the cafeteria where they provided there customers with a free meal.

I know it is off topic and not trying to high jack your thread but the old Moormans flap hat brought back these memories. 

This is mine i use in the winter. It used to be green. Hence why i would love to find some new ones somewhere. 

20201214_081855.jpg

20201214_081905.jpg

10 hours ago, nate said:

Got a few new flapper hats for my collection a few years ago.  

I remember the Moor Mans feed guy coming around as a kid.   Always looked forward to it as he would give us kids a box of chiclets  gum.  

3098F087-80D3-4BDC-8B98-978A297C28A4.jpeg

9E0B7E10-4079-479D-ACA9-E4F4D53752EB.jpeg

That is a K-hat.  Always the best.

Man I would love to get hats like those to wear yet! Those old school farm hats with flaps are impossible to find that fit my big head! I remember our Moormans guy well. Everett Sams, he always had butterscotch candies in his truck for the kids! We also used a lot of Golden Sun feed back in the day along with Kent.

Awesome gesture,  Sledgehammer!  That's what makes this Community so special.

Moor Man's, Kent, Golden Sun Feeds, Arbie Scooter Feeds were all popular here.  Dad and I both have worn those hats in the past.  Always enjoyed the Beechies gum that the Moor Man's dealer would hand out!