Ya gota love an honest stewardess

lorenzo

I once flew from Oakland Ca International Airport to San Francisco International Airport. The airports are across San Francisco Bay from each other.  It was on American and  the first leg of a flight to ST Johns Newfoundland.  Our Lady Friday booked the flight for me.  Took 15 minutes and  I was the only paying passenger on board. The Stewardesses  had to do all the normal safety presentation for take off and landing. After a long day on their feet they were happy to sit and talk to me for a few monuments.  One actually walked with me to the Air Canada area for my long flight to the other side of North America.  I spent the week after the 4-th of July, They had just removed the last of their winter snow. And the special at the motel for lunch was Corned Beef and Cabbage.  Business trip, I was a Corporate Trainer.  Only thing I remember is the Name is pronounced "NEW FOUND LAND" and the Folks I met were friendly.

7 hours ago, oleman said:

I once flew from Oakland Ca International Airport to San Francisco International Airport. The airports are across San Francisco Bay from each other.  It was on American and  the first leg of a flight to ST Johns Newfoundland.  Our Lady Friday booked the flight for me.  Took 15 minutes and  I was the only paying passenger on board. The Stewardesses  had to do all the normal safety presentation for take off and landing. After a long day on their feet they were happy to sit and talk to me for a few monuments.  One actually walked with me to the Air Canada area for my long flight to the other side of North America.  I spent the week after the 4-th of July, They had just removed the last of their winter snow. And the special at the motel for lunch was Corned Beef and Cabbage.  Business trip, I was a Corporate Trainer.  Only thing I remember is the Name is pronounced "NEW FOUND LAND" and the Folks I met were friendly.

I spent about one month in Pepperell Air Force base, St. Johns Nfld in 1955.  Then went over to other side of the Island at Harmon Air Force Base for about two years.  Got to know several Newfies , as we called them.  Good people.  Snow, oh yeah.   And, the guys almost always wore neckties.  Even those working out in the woods.  That looked a little strange. 

Both of those Bases were given back to the country before 1966 or so. 

1 hour ago, acem said:

I liked flying southwest airlines.

36 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Me too,   Used them a lot on the west coast .

Southwest has always been good to us whenever we’ve flown them. 

23 hours ago, 806 man said:

I just asked the old lady if that was her in the photo asking the question. She asked why so I showed her. That wasn't a wise decision .

Old lady......i find it confusing you call her that.  ?????

22 hours ago, pete23 said:

I spent about one month in Pepperell Air Force base, St. Johns Nfld in 1955.  Then went over to other side of the Island at Harmon Air Force Base for about two years.  Got to know several Newfies , as we called them.  Good people.  Snow, oh yeah.   And, the guys almost always wore neckties.  Even those working out in the woods.  That looked a little strange. 

Both of those Bases were given back to the country before 1966 or so. 

I worked at a business that built righthand drive garbage trucks , dump trucks etc in late 80s early 90s. They flew me down to Newfoundland ( first time ever) to instruct the Newfies  how to upgrade the righthand brake controls .  Nicest people in the country IMHO,They have a slower pace and make you feel at home. I can still hear them saying " Lord tunderin' JE$U$":) 

remember 911? a total of 17,000 passengers on about 76 US  planes landed in Newfoundland when the air space in the USA was shutdown. The Newfies took most of them into their homes?

According to the Gander International Airport, 39 planes were diverted there on Sept. 11, 2001. About 6,500 passengers had to be processed by the town's single immigration officer, aided by another three who drove in from St. John's.

•  
  • It took up to four days for all the aircraft and passengers to leave Gander for their destinations.
  • The airport at St. John's accepted 21 diverted flights and 16 more went to the Newfoundland cities of Stephenville, Goose Bay and Deer Lake. (Source: Nav Canada

9/11 refuge revisited: Gander Airport - YouTube

I remember reading about that a while after 911.    While I was up there at Harmon, Stephenville, Nfld,  the Russians went into Hungary and we had a lot of refugee's coming through and stop over for refueling etc.  I ended up on KP duty for a couple of days at     what was the old Hospital at that time right next door to the air port.  When a plane load of refugees would come in we would serve them lunch.

The funny part was, the Red Cross Gray Ladies would come in and sit and converse with them, help them get some food.  Then after the refugees left, the Red Cross ladies had their lunch, then left and we cleaned up the mess and made lunches for the next bunch.   

On 12/14/2020 at 8:11 AM, td9inidaho said:

I for see Bologna sandwich in your lunch buddy??

?.  The old lady doesn't like the finer foods in life such as Hot dog, bologna,Hamburger at the Net but she will order chicken strips?.

Won't touch mustard,ketchup,mayonnaise,thousand island dressing,tomatoes, pickles, Pickled asparagus,herring,salmon,garlic,To dam fussy but at the same time she tolerates me, she must be confused.

1 hour ago, 806 man said:

Of course I do she is getting old.?‍♀️

Old is the eye of the beholder......an the beholders eyes maybe getting fuzzy from old age when he thinks of her birthday ???

22 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Old is the eye of the beholder....

Didn't you mean, Old is in the eye of the beer-holder?   My questionable youth isn't part of this discussion. Got it?

Archived