What line of work are you in

junkandcattle

9 hours ago, Red Flyer said:

Retired. Nearly 31 years at Flying Tigers/Fedex Express. Set the parking brake on the MD-11 for the last time on 12-12-2017. Before that I was a bush pilot in Alaska flying Beavers and Twin Otters. Now I farm my 100 acres with tractors that say Farmall on the side.

APF

well very nice Red, you have some great stories i can only imagine. I always wanted to go moose hunting in alaska and not sure I will ever pull that off. You would be the guy I would want getting me in/out of the woods. I never was in stevensville when I lived in bozeman. We had a guy that lived in missoula that took care of that area. I ran the sw area but butte, wise river, widsom, dillon were all on my route. Such beautiful country out there. Enjoy your retirement!!!

7 hours ago, cedar farm said:

I didn't want to make this to long.  I graduated from tech school in 1988 and got a job at a White/Ford New Holland dealership. I worked on Oliver/White tractors. They took on the CIH Franchise in the fall of 1990. I went into parts in January 1991 to help with CIH. In 1993 became the CIH parts manager. The guy I worked with for 18 years managed the FNH/AGCO. Greatest guy on the planet to work with. He passed away from pancreas cancer in 2010. Still miss talking with him. 

I started renting the farm from dad in 1993. Bought the acreage from them in 1997 and started making payments on my parents 1/4 section 4 years ago. I have been in the same place 52 years. I started selling NOS parts on the internet in 2006 for a little extra income. It went so well I quit in the dealership in January 2008. Put up a shop that fall. 

Now I farm. Sell parts on eBay and work on only what I want to for others as time allows. I love older stuff, so that's usually a yes. Neighbor asked about exhaust manifold gaskets on a 2010 Ford F150. That was a big NO.

One huge blessing my stay at home wife an I have had in our life's is being able to have the time to watch our four kids grow, participate in their events and have the flexibility to help out with our Church and Christian school

Mike

well hey mike you arent too awful far away I presume sioux city? lemars? where at up there ? sounds lke quite a history around the tractors - ebay gig sounds fun too

• Like 1

6 hours ago, billonthefarm said:

I am a full time farmer.  Grew up here on the home farm.  My great great grandad bought this one in 1894.  After college I did 4 years as the junior parts guy in the local CIH dealership.  Great experience!  Learned so much.  Raised hogs till high school.  Cattle went couple years ago.  Just a gentleman grain farmer now.  Before my time this was a dairy.  

it amazes me how many guys are here that spent time in the IH dealers once upon a time in various capacities - very interesting

1 hour ago, bitty said:

I grew up on a dairy farm in south east PA  and graduated in '90 from tech school in machine technology class . Was offered an apprenticeship to be a machinist, would have been making 62K in 4 years .....

.......Instead I went to be on the farm after dad moved up state after his brother got out of the farm. Over the years we grew to 220 then built a barn and milk a truckload a day for the last 15 years . 

Bought the A at the farms sale when I was just entering my senior year. I restored that before I graduated. In hindsight I wish I had bought the 450 we had. Picture of the A was in our old barn after we sold the farm but before it was torn down to develop it . Unfortunately I didn't get the correct decals for it as it's a '46 and said McCormick Deering Farmall without the IH block in the decals.

I am in the crop/equipment side of the business and like fabrication work. 

IMG_20181221_201603872.jpg

you did good bitty, cant but them all up, and yes you are definitely in the mgf/fabricating BITTY BUILT business, you do some amazing things 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

well u go dave!!! what part of SD I just to run around out there all over when working out of SF. 

I’m up in the northwest corner of the state. I live east of the small town of Newell which is about 25 miles north of Sturgis and 25 miles east of Belle Fourche.

Born into farming. The oldest of 7,I had to see what the others wanted to do . Liked turning bolts to see how things worked so after a 2 year short course in AG.Mech.,,off to a IH dealer I went. Got drafted and served out my time at Scholfield Barracks  in Hawaii as heavy equipment wrench bender.  Married my high school sweetie and my oldest son was born there. After service ,back to the dealership we went.  Could not kick the farming bug and helping local farmers after work made it worse. So after moving back to the farm , We jumped in.......in..'82.....and added 400 acres. After the dust settled , still kept the family farm and 2 tractors and old bill 's to pay.With the help of some borrowed equip.and some faith that a old loan officer seen in our determination, started the long climb out of the hole. I have done a lot of what ever to earn a buck. Work winters for a construction dealer,custom harvesting ,fixing tractors, buy and sell tractors ,hauling over size farm machinery, sell seed, restore tractors. My wife and her friend did craft shows and she started doing taxes for an Ag adviser, still does taxes.    Life looks great above ground and I've got to meet a lot of people from all over. Starting to slow down some now. Getting to help my daughter with some technical back ground on the IH books that have and are coming forward is now the other part time  job every morning.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,She makes great coffee!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

Probably passed each other at Trade Fair every year. We had the IH line starting in 85 I think until closing in 2000. 

Quite possible. Kansas City, St Louis, Nashville. My wife misses that part of it. I would take her along. I won a couple cruises and the Richard Petty driving experience down in Las Vegas. That was in July and HOT. She was all giddy in Nashville when Suzie Bogus came on stage. I would take my vacation and drive. Make a whole week or so of it. 

My favorite was driving down south on the backroads of Tennessee, Kentucky and Missouri. We would stop at some Civil was sites. Got a kick out of the audio recordings. "Invaders from the north" the Union was called.

We got in one area where all the gravesites where up in the hills. Thought that was odd. We would stop and walk them. One road we were on went from hard surface to gravel. Pulled off into this cemetery. Sun was starting to go down and pretty soon a pickup flew by with a lot of hooping and hollering. I asked her if she had ever watched the movie "Deliverance" She had not. We headed back down the gravel and were soon driving in the dark. An hour or so later we finally got on to another hard surface road. Looked on the map and sure enough we had been in an area call land between the lakes where they had built a dam. We watched "Deliverance" when we got home.

Now she says "you don't take me anywhere"

Mike

2 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

Quite possible. Kansas City, St Louis, Nashville. My wife misses that part of it. I would take her along. I won a couple cruises and the Richard Petty driving experience down in Las Vegas. That was in July and HOT. She was all giddy in Nashville when Suzie Bogus came on stage. I would take my vacation and drive. Make a whole week or so of it. 

My favorite was driving down south on the backroads of Tennessee, Kentucky and Missouri. We would stop at some Civil was sites. Got a kick out of the audio recordings. "Invaders from the north" the Union was called.

We got in one area where all the gravesites where up in the hills. Thought that was odd. We would stop and walk them. One road we were on went from hard surface to gravel. Pulled off into this cemetery. Sun was starting to go down and pretty soon a pickup flew by with a lot of hooping and hollering. I asked her if she had ever watched the movie "Deliverance" She had not. We headed back down the gravel and were soon driving in the dark. An hour or so later we finally got on to another hard surface road. Looked on the map and sure enough we had been in an area call land between the lakes where they had built a dam. We watched "Deliverance" when we got home.

Now she says "you don't take me anywhere"

Mike

Many of those cemeteries were moved when the lake was made. There are fire service roads all over LBL and many of them lead to cemeteries. We used to take Jeep’s down there and spend the day or weekend driving all those roads. Some interesting stuff to see there. 

9 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

Quite possible. Kansas City, St Louis, Nashville. My wife misses that part of it. I would take her along. I won a couple cruises

Two for us Bahamas in spring of 91 (used as a honeymoon with two separate bunks bolted down I wanted a socket set so bad) and a couple years later to Catalina and Ensenada. Baler belting took us to SanAntonio really enjoyed those. I sure as thunder did not have any money to take her anywhere

• Like 1

2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

well hey mike you arent too awful far away I presume sioux city? lemars? where at up there ? sounds lke quite a history around the tractors - ebay gig sounds fun too

Little town of Alvord, Ia. 25 miles se of Sioux Falls. Been your way many times. My wife has relatives in Springfield and my uncle and Aunt live in Marionville. We go along with our churches youth group on their serve projects. I am no expert in plumbing/carpentry but I know enough to help them. Seems we end up in MO quite often. Joplin, Van Burren, Piedmont, Kansas City. Always a blessing.

I have to share a Van Burren story. We usually get a list of what needs to be done so as what to take along for tools. That trip all we knew was cleanup for flood damage. I had no idea what to take. I complained to my wife on the way down "drive 12-14 hours to clean up someone's back yard" 

I wind up putting a sump pump and drain in a basement. Next door they are painting a house. I get done and see an old man struggling with trimming some little shrubs by that house. I walked over with my cordless sawzall and started trimming for him. I asked him if he needed other stuff done. He had some stuff in his backyard that needed picking up. I grabbed a couple boys and we picked it up. Sat with him afterwards and he talked about loosing his farm at one time. Loosing two wife's and a daughter to cancer. But he said God was good to him and we being there was a blessing.

Praise the Lord! We drove 12-14 hours to clean up someone's back yard. God is good!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

Two for us Bahamas in spring of 91 (used as a honeymoon with two separate bunks bolted down I wanted a socket set so bad) and a couple years later to Catalina and Ensenada. Baler belting took us to SanAntonio really enjoyed those. I sure as thunder did not have any money to take her anywhere

I wonder if they still do all that stuff. I have a ring somewhere that has diamonds in it. Partsmaster program if I remember correct. Good eBay item. 

1 minute ago, cedar farm said:

I wonder if they still do all that stuff. I have a ring somewhere that has diamonds in it. Partsmaster program if I remember correct. Good eBay item. 

Doubt it the way corporate America has headed

9 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

I took my brother on the Bahamas cruise, 94 or 95 and used the 1997 cruise to Cozumel as our honeymoon. I asked the cabin guy if there was a way to put the beds together. I don't know what they did, but we got back to the cabin and they were pushed together. I left a nice tip. T

The boss/owner made me mad on the 98 or 99 cruise. Thought a salesman needed a cruise. I did the work and one of them got that cruise. Turned that was the last one we got. I think they ended the program.

Grew up on an 80 acre 70 cow dairy. We completely supported our dairy with everything crop wise, In November when we closed the barn doors for the season it was full. All hay was small squares and between hay and bedding we easily had 12000+ in the barn every year. Those where good times we worked hard but seems like we had more time to stop and chat with neighbors than we do today. 

Anyway at the tender age of 14.5 dad shipped me off to the White / Oliver dealer where I worked in the shop for 3 years. Came home to help Dad operate the farm and neighbors started bringing tractors by for small repairs. Next thing you know Dad and myself started a partnership to operate a small repair business. As it grew I seen we needed to specialize in a brand because of special tooling. After reviewing local repair shops and nobody really doing the IH's I went that route. Several years later I was contacted by CIH to become a dealer (couple suits & ties) showed up one day. Not having the financial strength for a step that large I declined. A year later found myself in partnership with a Case CE dealer who didn't put a very strong focus on the AG side of the business. Held the position of general manager/ service manager for 10 years. Seemed like I had to do it all myself, so decided I may as well be operating my own business. Dissolved my partnership and came back home to my facility 50 by 80 shop with enclosed wash bay. I have been very lucky to have had dealership experience and made a lot of contacts which I maintain to this day.  

Was able to purchase complete service library from a retired CIH service manager (oldihdsl) on this forum as well as a huge amount of special service tools. Today we operate a independent repair shop focused on IH, CIH, Cummins and do a large volume of hydrostat repair in skid steers an etc.....life has been good to me.

Nights and weekends I volunteer with local Fire & rescue squad as a FF & EMT, as well as maintain 14 pieces of apparatus at fire dept. 

I direct all thanks to my parents for standing behind and believing in me and the Lord above for continued guidance.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, DaveinSD said:

I’m up in the northwest corner of the state. I live east of the small town of Newell which is about 25 miles north of Sturgis and 25 miles east of Belle Fourche.

That’s some of the prettiest places in SD!!

8 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

boy,  such tough times to endure as a young man w/out a dad, im sorry you lost him so young. So happy for you that you saw it through and God took care of you and your family. 

sounds like you are doing great and the Lord is blessing with family and memories. What part of missouri are you ? 

We live on the South edge of Union near the I-44 And Highway 50 junction.

Im a heavy equiptment operator. Currently we are 4 hours away from home on the northwest edge of sioux falls. Big amazon warehouse going up. About a little over half done digging 15x15 footing pads. There is almost 400 to dig. Mass excavation is done.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 660 driver said:

Im a heavy equiptment operator. Currently we are 4 hours away from home on the northwest edge of sioux falls. Big amazon warehouse going up. About a little over half done digging 15x15 footing pads. There is almost 400 to dig. Mass excavation is done.

Sounds warm up there...

They are almost done with an Amazon warehouse on the east side of DSM in Bondurant. Big place!

Started at an IH dealer in 1976 lasted until 1986 then closed. Worked on combines and tractors.Went to work at Case company store as field service on construction equipment. Went to a factory for 10 years, had a chance at a new truck and kids were out of school so back in field service at a Case construction dealer until I retired in 2017. Still miss the truck and some of the customers sometimes. Still work on some of the old stuff and get to go to tractor rides,plow days ,and shows that I couldn't go to before.

• Like 4

I have to say that since leaving the drug dealing and human trafficking business, this whole unemployment thing has been a real stress reliever. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I work as a process engineer at an injection molding facility. Started at it in 1996. 

Grew up on 45 cow dairy farm prior to that. 

Still raise some animals and provide the beef for a local bar my friend owns. 

• Like 3