What line of work are you in

junkandcattle

37 minutes ago, twostepn2001 said:

lenray, a bit off topic here but are you the one that was re-building/re-storing a MRS 4D tractor? lf so have you finished it?

I do have the M R S   I--80   The industrial tractor.  I have no talent for restoration or painting etc.  I did replace the drop box and She runs like a fine watch.  Replaced all hoses and filters.  The 4-71 fires up on the first revolution.  I use it to pull out the other 9 when stuck and also the Big IHC PAYSTAR 5000...  THANKS FOR ASKING.......Do you also have a M R S????

3 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Jack of all trades, master at none.

Honestly. I farm full time with my Dad and brother. Farms that have been in the family for generations. Farm from the Reichow side since 1883, the farm from my Grandmother's side since 1832 which I personally own. Between what the 3 of us own and what ground we rent we farm a little bit over a 1000 at the moment. We're still in cattle too. Beef brood cows and we feed cattle too. 

Born in 84. Life was the definition of hard around here. Being the oldest i bore the brunt of those hard times. We made it obviously but just. Couldn't afford hired help so when I was home from school guess where I was. Wife said something to me one time about my lack of enthusiasm about something. I told her the way my childhood went that if you think about it other than school ive been doing this for almost 25 years now and im not 40 yet. 

Sounds familiar 

I was born in 85, the 80s was hard on my my family’s dairy/pork/cash crop farm, the property has been in the family since the 1880s, my Dad took over the home place in 90 from my Gramps, quit his CaseIH dealership mechanic job in 91 and went out on his own doing farm repairs, my Mom quit her job shortly after to work at the shop, me and my brother worked at the shop before and after school and weekends much like farm kids do, learned how to do pretty much everything that is a trade profession growing up, electrical, building construction, plumbing, equipment operation, mechanical repair, body work, landscaping, Dad seldom hired out any work unless he had to for a permit or such

Aside from working at the family business I worked for some farmers casually doing field work and worked for a dairy farm for a couple years in my later teens, started working at the local Chevrolet dealership as a mechanic when I was 19, I’ve been an automotive mechanic since, left the dealership after a few years, worked at an independent shop for about 9 years, went out on my own last October, work out of my house garage which is my Grandparents old house, on the same family farm my Parents have their business

It’s definitely hard at times but I don’t think there is any better way to live and work than on long time family property, it gives a sense of pride that unfortunately many people will never understand 

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Never met him but have heard the name before. 

Todd did you ever do any work with Pioneers' wheat research. I have a friend that worked with them is St. Matthews, S.C.

1 hour ago, lenray said:

75 years old here---Just started my year 3 as a Widower----most difficult thing I have ever been involved with.  Miss my GIRL  everyday...

Lenray, my deepest sympathies. I've only been with my wife 33 years but can't imagine the hole that parting will leave. 

I pray that the fine memories of many years spent together offer you some comfort. Best wishes to you my friend. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Lenray, my deepest sympathies. I've only been with my wife 33 years but can't imagine the hole that parting will leave. 

I pray that the fine memories of many years spent together offer you some comfort. Best wishes to you my friend. 

Thanks for those kind words.  I love Nebraska..I am in Michigan--it is about 900 miles to York, Ne.  I pull off the highway and sleep a couple hours in that little gravel parking lot just off the interstate.  Probably been thru there 75 times heading west....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JD Humm said:

Looking back, the job in the vertical transportation industry was the best thing that could have ever happened to me however I hated leaving the farm.  One just never knows what life will bring or which way things will turn.

I understand and agree totally. I always wanted to farm but my Uncle was looking for free help. The day after I was riffed at Pioneer my wife told me I looked more relaxed. That stuck with me. I had been treated like a dog for years. You will never work more hours for less money anywhere compared agriculture.  
40hrs a week times 52 weeks a year is 2080hrs per year. I was hitting that just on DOT logged hours by October. I love agriculture but the day I got a shift work job I didn’t know what to do. I had never been able to walk away and leave work at a certain time. It was foreign to me.
Looking back, it was good for me and my family. The leadership in Ag companies is no different than our current political situation. A bunch of mindless puppets who go where the string (money) pulls them. I miss Ag dearly but not the hoops. I push about like a string and that is the opposite of being a puppet. 

• Like 1

I’ve been working with my dad at his collision shop since 92. I used to spend my free time working on hot rods. Five years ago we bought a small farm across the road. It had a hay field so I figured we’d get a few cows. Now I spend my free time over there! I enjoy working on the tractors and other equipment, been restoring the old barn also. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Craig61019 said:

Not trying to be political but I have a feeling that no one here is going say they have been on welfare for twenty years ?(couldn’t resist)

I have been on welfare for a acouple years now..................My wife keeps me:lol:  

Farmed here at home, Worked on the farm for others, did custom work, worked on both Auto's and heavy trucks, was in machining and manufacturing, sold parts, and up until 2 years ago had my own garage.  Was interesting but a PITA as well, when we had an unplanned son #2, my wife who just took a promotion, made enough to support us very well, I didn't want to deal with chasing money and dealing with people no longer, and we needed child care, so instead of working to pay a babysitter, we decided I would stay home and take care of the little guy, the house, and the few cattle we have.  After missing the first son growing up as I was always working, this sure has been a great thing for me. 

When I was younger all I wanted to do was farm.............my dad wouldn't hear of it, get a real job you don't to live at to scrape by he would always say.............I only half listened, and looking back on what I did he was 100% right.  I sure like having money you can count on and buy good stuff to make your "Hobby" easy.  Its what he did, and I didn't know as much as I thought I did.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eason said:

Todd did you ever do any work with Pioneers' wheat research. I have a friend that worked with them is St. Matthews, S.C.

Yes, but never with the S.C. group. I helped the Windfall IN guys who had a plot next to our station. The wheat guys were relaxed and good to deal with. I enjoyed planting wheat plots with/for them. 

Well lets see, I wuz born on a mountain, and I wuz raised in a cave, after that I was complete flop in school, started working in a steel mill in 64, went on to lumber green chains, then on to plywood green chains, drove truck til 72 then started a 36 year jaunt as a firefighter, left there in 08 with a sparkling bright white shirt, in between rode and fixed many sickles, drove and fixed many cars, fought my way through an alcohol problem, got through a smoking habit, been clean for 9 years, got two great kids, one great foster daughter and now a great little grandson, mom and I have been together 53 years, married 51, we done a LOT of miles on two wheels, four wheels now six wheels. Got the regular pains associated with peeps our age, ( me 73 mom 70) got no regrets, I detest politicians, got no use for freeloader scammers, always loved working with my hands until RA started making it harder and harder, now I'm doing stuff for an hour and recouping for an hour, love traveling but boobboy and his cohorts have the border closed tight, got some places up here we still enjoy going too but the idiots running this province have that shutdown also.

Gotta say one thing about this forum, I started here in january because of a 5.9 injector query and what I know about farming, tractors, ranching I could stick in my eye and not know it, but the quality of personel on this board far excells any other boards I have been involved with.

Answers a couple q's cya and take care.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lorenzo said:

I work for a big firm called

Doolittle and Sitmore 

Have you herd of them? 

Ive had questions and now they are answered. 

Full time dairyman/fool.  Wife said maybe we should do something easier?  I frankly cant think of anything else to do.  Esp nowdays....

• Like 4

My wife and I farm/ranch full time. Mostly rice and cattle. Some soybeans, sheep, corn, wheat and other things. The place is almost 600 acres and I've been at it for 25 years. It's my family place. 

After growing up farming and ranch i went to college and got a degree in chemical engineering. I went to work as a process engineer for Potlatch at their paper mill at McGehee AR in 1990 . I was doing really well when dad got cancer and his health when South fast.

I returned the the farm in 1995 and dad died before I got started planting a crop. He got out of the cattle business while I was in college so I started buying cattle.

In 2001 my first wife left me, we got divorced and I had a hard reset. I struggled along until I met Odessa, now my wife. 

Our kids are grown and off now (hers and mine) and we farm together. It's been tough the last few years here but we are holding on.

It's a great life but  poor living.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Was mainly farrow to finish hog farmer for 40 yrs. Started on a broken down 100 ac farm back in 69 on which the house had burned down so lived in a 10x 40 trailer from aug to Nov.  Then moved a house from London On. some 30 miles to said farm. With a lot of hard work and long hrs and along with two sons working on farm enden up owing 500 acres and renting another 500 which the sons eventualy took over. After the hog price crash in 98 we along with another some 300 other farmers purchased uor own pig processing plant known as 3ppp,s Conestoga packers. At first it cost us a checkoff but eventually it started to be profitable and today is doing very very well. I got out of the hog part and sons stayed in pig business so I kept just enough acreage to be comfortable. Since I was sort of semi retired and needed to keep busy I got a disease---- old tractors. Im 76 now had to hang up my hockey skates last week last week because of knee replacement 3x and taking a spill into corner on the ice last week came to my senses and said ok thats it.We are now on a acre and a half with a big shed and  have 23 tractors. Now have a cockshutt 70 (oliver) all tore apart.  Ill keep on wrenching for a while.

• Like 8

77 yrs old-----Avon Mississippi (right along the Mississippi River in the Mississippi Delta.

Grew up here on a Delta cotton farm.  Traveled the mid-south wholesaling farm machinery until the early 70's at which time I rented the family farm.  Finally got poor enough to retire from the farming in 1985.

My dad had been a long time farm real estate broker dating back into the late 1960s-----I had always helped him with the real estate.  He had died in 1983 and I was unhitching from farming in 1985.  Everything evolved into me getting licensed and chasing the land rabbit full time.  In 1991+/_ the Feds mandated that an appraisal had to be done by a state licensed appraiser.  Got my appraisal license and stayed busy with appraisal and brokerage work until ongoing health problems ground me to a halt.  Have placed my appraisal license on inactive status and am still somewhat active as a broker.  Approximate 95% of all of my real estate work was Farmland related-----thus Delta Dirt as my logo.

20180720_141646.thumb.jpg.94cc43304fa795ecc41783320206973e.jpg

20181006_173239.thumb.jpg.5ce0e91e11b62a0720ae9eae088f0bc4.jpg

It's hard to get the dirt and scrap iron out of your blood-----seemingly a common denominator for all of us here on Red Power.  Still live here on the family farm with my wife of 56 yrs as of this past July.  Not retired------just tired;  and coasting on toward home.??

DD

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, acem said:

It's been tough the last few years here but we are holding on.

It's a great life but  poor living

Kinda like scratching your back on a hedge post it gets the itch but it is a little rough sometimes. Thanks for sharing and I hope things improve

• Like 1

Family Trucking here. Dry bulk and liquid since I finished school. Tried to get unhooked from the trucks and be a mechanical engineer , but when I finished school, I migrated right back to the trucks. Tough business that needs to be worked hard to make it, but when its part of you, is it really work? Hauled a lot of powder for most of the major interstate projects and big infrastructure jobs around Western and Central NY. Always had a good crew which is where the credit lies. Dad had the people knack and that allowed us to grow well beyond what I felt comfortable with my OCD. He could delegate and be comfortable with it and I cant. But it worked and we are still here kicking without him. Trucks get washed every day and guys go home every night. 

Met my wife in the local gin mill while she was back for a family wedding. Dated long distance and were married 9 months after we met. Guess she had to move back then. Just over twenty years ago. She has been through some stuff 15 years ago and we hold the Pink ribbon close to us now. 1 son playing travel hockey so not much down time until mid summer for a short period.

Dad was into old cars, Packards,Star(Durant Motors), Cadillacs. I leaned towards trucks and tractors. Have a small fleet of JD Unstyled L's, a few LI's and now my second IH-a 766 Black stripe. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

I have been on welfare for a acouple years now..................My wife keeps me:lol:  

Farmed here at home, Worked on the farm for others, did custom work, worked on both Auto's and heavy trucks, was in machining and manufacturing, sold parts, and up until 2 years ago had my own garage.  Was interesting but a PITA as well, when we had an unplanned son #2, my wife who just took a promotion, made enough to support us very well, I didn't want to deal with chasing money and dealing with people no longer, and we needed child care, so instead of working to pay a babysitter, we decided I would stay home and take care of the little guy, the house, and the few cattle we have.  After missing the first son growing up as I was always working, this sure has been a great thing for me. 

When I was younger all I wanted to do was farm.............my dad wouldn't hear of it, get a real job you don't to live at to scrape by he would always say.............I only half listened, and looking back on what I did he was 100% right.  I sure like having money you can count on and buy good stuff to make your "Hobby" easy.  Its what he did, and I didn't know as much as I thought I did.

It is fun raising the little ones. I was lucky enough to be able to drop my kids at school and daycare in the mornings. Even though they don’t really understand it many of the nights I worked really late or early mornings just to be able to take them to school.

• Like 1

Deep in Automotive industry here not to far from the Motor City.  I grew up in a small town north in the Thumb of Michigan.  Always tinkered with cars, motorcycles, tractors growing up, still do.  A couple of years out of high school I Studied Mechanical Engineering at the community College while working full time for a Engineering firm.  I eventually finished my degree going part time, working full time. Today I manage a group of engineers in vehicle benchmarking, I love my job.  I also farm a 5 acres of cash crop, just so I don't forget my roots.

Scott

• Like 3

Started out working at very young age. Dad was farming a bunch in the 70s and 80s. Upwards of 4500 acres tillable. As times got tough there were no hired men any more so my brother and I did all the work. He got in a tight spot in the 80s so we went to work farming, custom farming ( combining , baling , some spraying) then we went into commercial repair. We worked night and day, my brother and I took care of a couple hundred pigs , 50 to 80 cows and I worked like dog in the repair business plus helped farm. My dad eventually couldn’t operate farm anymore so my brother and I took over eventually running over 200 cows, seeding 2700 acres plus the pasture and hay land. My brother always worked full time construction in the summer so I did everything except he would cut and bale hay on weekends and fridays. We finally needed affordable health insurance so I recently found a decent place of employment and we seriously downsized the farming. Just recently sold most of farm equipment but kept 5 tractors, a truck and old combine. Going to sell all the cows and replace with a few young ones later on. I am currently taking life easy doing the 40 a week city employee. I am in training to take over water plant operation here in our city. You have to be a class 3 operator and it will take four years for licensing. The current manager is 59 and that’s about his retirement time. So far I enjoy the change. Go to work early get off in the afternoon and pay plus benefits is above avg.

• Like 6

I have lived and breathed farming since I could talk. My grandpa and uncle farmed together so I spent every second with them growing up (got countless hours riding in back window of their 5488s and in 1460). In 2000 when I was 14 a local BTO went broke who did most of the custom baling around here. Grandpa helped me buy a tractor and round baler and that evolved into renting ground and building a beef cow herd. Was farming a fair amount of row crop when I graduated high school but those were the sub $2 corn days so it was nothing special. I went to diesel school for a year and then got in to the millwright union and worked with them off and on for a few years. In the meantime grandpa retired and my uncle took over all the family ground. I was officially farming full time in 2007. Had a lot of good times and was farming around 1500 acres for a while. But just never really made any real money. Had a 12 inch rain and a flood in spring of 2007 and planted everything twice, had way to many cattle to feed for the terrible winter of 09 and 10 and had 500 acres of crop in the field all winter. After another flood in 11 and drought in 12 I had to make 2013 my last year of farming on my own. I started running my old Freightliner over the road with a hopper. Trucking has been good to me and got me back on my feet. I now have been married 11 years, have an excellent 8 year old daughter and 3 year old boy. We usually run about 5 trucks with hoppers, have a tire and repair business, and sell 2 brands of seed. I also started farming again in 2018 with my uncle this time. It’s very busy around here but it’s good.

• Like 4

I’m in the line of work that is;

Being a better person who has goals and achieves them

Being a better husband for my beautiful bride! She so deserves this

Being a better father and Dad for our children 

Being a humble Man before God, for if not for God I wouldn’t have anything 

Being a Man with integrity and honesty. Standing up for what I believe in and owning my mistakes without excuse 

• Like 13

I was born into a family farm that dates back to 1879.  I live in the house that my great, great uncle built.  It has been home to my great grandparents,  my grandmother's childhood home that she later  raised my father in. Moved in with Grandpa in 1996.  Been here since he passed.  Grew up on a hog, cattle and row crop farm.   The 1980's nearly broke Dad.  He farmed and had rental property.  Around 86, that all went south.  Dad began to work in the Donaldson muffler plant at night.  At age 12, I  was feeding hogs and grinding feed with a 706 and 1150 grinder mixer.  6 or 8 ton a night.  Grew up fast!  Graduated from high school in 1992, Dad insisted I attended college.  Returned home with Associates degree in 1994 to farm. Raised hogs and custom round baling with a 1466 and Vermeer 605 super J.   By 96, the hog market had broke us.  Sold off hogs and a lot of the equipment including Dad's treasured 856 Custom and my 1466.  I went to work at Grinnell Implement as a partsman and continued to help Dad with the 240 acre home farm I live on.  Working at the dealership,  I began to purchase trade in tractors to tinker on and re-sale.  Kept one and then the collecting bug hit.  Continued to farm, worked at Manatt's in the parts department,  Managed a Napa Store awhile, then at the Detroit Diesel dealership and then 8 years ago, went to work at Colfax Tractor Parts.  Stayed single, continued to collect tractors. Finally married 5 years ago. For 2021, along with Colfax, I am farming 160 acres of corn and soybeans and helping Dad with the 240 acre home farm.

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

I’m in the line of work that is;

Being a better person who has goals and achieves them

Being a better husband for my beautiful bride! She so deserves this

Being a better father and Dad for our children 

Being a humble Man before God, for if not for God I wouldn’t have anything 

Being a Man with integrity and honesty. Standing up for what I believe in and owning my mistakes without excuse 

Well put sir!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Started out working at very young age. Dad was farming a bunch in the 70s and 80s. Upwards of 4500 acres tillable. As times got tough there were no hired men any more so my brother and I did all the work. He got in a tight spot in the 80s so we went to work farming, custom farming ( combining , baling , some spraying) then we went into commercial repair. We worked night and day, my brother and I took care of a couple hundred pigs , 50 to 80 cows and I worked like dog in the repair business plus helped farm. My dad eventually couldn’t operate farm anymore so my brother and I took over eventually running over 200 cows, seeding 2700 acres plus the pasture and hay land. My brother always worked full time construction in the summer so I did everything except he would cut and bale hay on weekends and fridays. We finally needed affordable health insurance so I recently found a decent place of employment and we seriously downsized the farming. Just recently sold most of farm equipment but kept 5 tractors, a truck and old combine. Going to sell all the cows and replace with a few young ones later on. I am currently taking life easy doing the 40 a week city employee. I am in training to take over water plant operation here in our city. You have to be a class 3 operator and it will take four years for licensing. The current manager is 59 and that’s about his retirement time. So far I enjoy the change. Go to work early get off in the afternoon and pay plus benefits is above avg.

Some real rough times, as I recall you elaborated on this before with the differences between you and your dad.