What line of work are you in

junkandcattle

Jack of all trades, master at none.

Honestly. I farm full time with my Dad and brother. Farms that have been in the family for generations. Farm from the Reichow side since 1883, the farm from my Grandmother's side since 1832 which I personally own. Between what the 3 of us own and what ground we rent we farm a little bit over a 1000 at the moment. We're still in cattle too. Beef brood cows and we feed cattle too. 

Born in 84. Life was the definition of hard around here. Being the oldest i bore the brunt of those hard times. We made it obviously but just. Couldn't afford hired help so when I was home from school guess where I was. Wife said something to me one time about my lack of enthusiasm about something. I told her the way my childhood went that if you think about it other than school ive been doing this for almost 25 years now and im not 40 yet. 

Learned wrenching during those times from Dad. Couldn't afford anything new so we were fixing up our junk. Wrenching here is the case that the student out did the master eventually. Ill tear into engines and transmissions where Dad wouldn't even go. Now if its major its "Justin can go fix it" Remember a few years ago when i shattered my left foot. I was on crutches and the clutch went out on the 786. He told me and my response was " What do you expect me to do about it right now" as i was standing on crutches. 

Work cattle, farm grain, drive truck, log for firewood, turn wrench for the farm and on the side. That and dealing with family is my life.

• Like 8

Full time ranch, cow calf. Part time tanker yanker (fuel) will hit 90K miles this year. Retired from 27 years as a DewEze dealer this past summer. Been an FFL for 40 years. Take a lot of pride in my welding although the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. Sec/Treas of RFD. Spent a lifetime perfecting the illusion that I'm working hard when I'm really just goofing off. ? 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

...learnt  to weld at the local Caterpillar  dealership in the very early sixties.....Had some serious 'speed bumps' through life.....Learnt to "expect the worse"...hope for the best.....but often the worse , was worse than expected...sigh

Still working after 60 years.....because I can....small farming   (200 odd cattle)..plus machine operating , in a physically beautiful High Country Station..    (Ranch ...)  You learn a  helluva lot of very usefull skills in the journey of life.....then you get old and are deemed to know nothing......

People ask me if I ''would do this life all over again ?".....The answer I give is never what they expect to hear.....:)

Always figured "life is the perfect thing to pass the time away"......but there seems to be  evil people hellbent on changing that......

Mike

• Like 7

Been raising beef most of my life. Dad is extremely accident prone. Rolled a tractor in 68, lost his hand in 72 and broke his back in 83. I am the oldest of 4, and thought I should be able to do all of the work when I was 9, when he lost his hand. When he broke his back, I couldn’t handle the debt and stress of the 80’s. Sold the registered Pinzgauer cows and all the equipment, which allowed them to keep their land. 
I went out to Colorado and farmed for Kalcevic farms. Since then I have done absolutely everything I ever dreamed of doing! I have cowboyed, ranched, raised big horn sheep! 
3 years ago we bought 80 acres in central Kansas. Now own a few beef critters and sell freezer beef. Wife is on the parts counter for the local Cat dealer and I bought my own semi in September. Haul anything that will come out of a hopper and some that won’t. Run as far west as central Oregon and and east into Michigan. 

• Like 8

Grew up around the family farm but never on it. My Uncle and Grandfather farmed and Dad is a veterinarian with his own cattle.  Got an Ag degree and went to work selling seed and working for a large seed/chemical dealer. I hauled seed all over and fixed things when they broke. From that I went to a Pioneer soybean production plant working in the office but that wasn’t for me. After 8 months I got a job working seed corn research also for Pioneer.  Planted, maintained, and harvested plots in several states for several years.  Managed crews and spent all summer in a corn field. When Dow and DuPont merged I was cast aside. Spent two months working at a major air/fuel/oil filter mfg where I destroyed filters in a controlled environment (on purpose) ?.  In the mean time I had applied at a power plant that is fairly local. I now work in a large coal fired power plant.  All along I have helped Dad with his cattle and enjoyed helping friends and neighbors run equipment and farm as I had time. I enjoy anything mechanical but have no formal training in mechanics.

The last time I was asked about what I thought at work I responded with “Mongo only small pawn in game of life”. Work merely affords me the ability to enjoy life comfortably with my wife and son.   If it was up to me I would run equipment and blacksmith all the time in between hunting and going on fly fishing trips but hey......everyone can dream, right?

• Like 10

I have been self employed ag mechanic for a little over a year now. Also raise some cattle and hay. Prior worked as a tech for a Case IH dealer, ranch hand, industrial maintenance, clay mill operator and bagger, welder. I had several "careers" but I get bored easily. Kind of stuck with the current one though. I've got too much invested and it's going really well.

• Like 8

Farmed in a partnership with father and brother from 78 to 91; 70 cows in 33 stall barn, 30 head beef a year, farrow to finish around a 1000 head hogs a year, 200 layer hens , 28 sheep; owned 160,dad had 240 rented another 500, we had livestock on three farms. Since then welded staircases, laid off, assembled subway booths, shredded cheese, worked at Federal Mogul machining pistons and sleeves for 9 years, went back to school for HVAC/R, worked five years in that. Taught HVAC/R for 9 years laid off due to low numbers. Work at Abbot Hospital cleaning and repairing 128 ice machines and repairing refrigeration and HVAC/R equipment. Now supervisor at the same for 28 people across three shifts in the hospital ( a tad bit over 3 million square feet) , training and managing supplies  etc. Still wrench on tractors and vehicles. Have a 560 I mostly have rebuilt and just bought a 300 U that needs a lot of help.

• Like 5

I am unemployed, it’s great, i get my free money loaded into my Welfare Classic Visa 2 times a month, just gotta keep up appearances in public and use my walker when ppl are looking. Never have to walk in the grocery store, i just ride the scooter. Best thing about all of it is i never even have to take my pajamas off! All thanks to you working stiffs! Hats off to all of you! 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 12

31 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Planted, maintained, and harvested plots in several states for several years.  Managed crews and spent all summer in a corn field.

Perhaps you encountered Wayne Crook near Marshall Mo test station

Started out in the late 60's farming with my dad.  We sold out in the early 80's due to the farm crisis of the 80's, I went to town and started working for an elevator/escalator installation, service and repair company.  Retired from there after 30 years in 2013.  After that I worked part time as a CDL examiner for the State of Kansas for a few years and now work part time as a CDL driving instructor for a Tech School at Lawrence, Kansas.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Been raising beef most of my life. Dad is extremely accident prone. Rolled a tractor in 68, lost his hand in 72 and broke his back in 83. I am the oldest of 4, and thought I should be able to do all of the work when I was 9, when he lost his hand. When he broke his back, I couldn’t handle the debt and stress of the 80’s. Sold the registered Pinzgauer cows and all the equipment, which allowed them to keep their land. 
I went out to Colorado and farmed for Kalcevic farms. Since then I have done absolutely everything I ever dreamed of doing! I have cowboyed, ranched, raised big horn sheep! 
3 years ago we bought 80 acres in central Kansas. Now own a few beef critters and sell freezer beef. Wife is on the parts counter for the local Cat dealer and I bought my own semi in September. Haul anything that will come out of a hopper and some that won’t. Run as far west as central Oregon and and east into Michigan. 

A little rough start sounds like you him by the nads now

2 minutes ago, JD Humm said:

Started out in the late 60's farming with my dad.  We sold out in the early 80's due to the farm crisis of the 80's, I went to town and started working for an elevator/escalator installation, service and repair company.  Retired for there after 30 years in 2013.  After that I worked part time as a CDL examiner for the State of Kansas for a few years and now work part time as a CDL driving instructor for a Tech School at Lawrence, Kansas.

Effin 80's somebody needs to collecting these stories so the future generation " aka current generation" could be learning something. Also you never know where life will take you or what road calls your name.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, junkandcattle said:

Effin 80's somebody needs to collecting these stories so the future generation " aka current generation" could be learning something. Also you never know where life will take you or what road calls your name.

Looking back, the job in the vertical transportation industry was the best thing that could have ever happened to me however I hated leaving the farm.  One just never knows what life will bring or which way things will turn.

3 hours ago, Tmtbob said:

I’m an azzhole and worked my whole life to get that title. It takes commitment for people to recognize. 

I am glad to hear that you worked hard for that title, many I have known come by it naturally.....?

I grew up helping out on my Grandparents farm, dairy then just crop. As a young boy I don't think I knew that there was any other tractor than IH with the exception of an Oliver 77. It was the only tractor that came to mind if I heard the word "green".  Southeastern Pa. was full of IH then. Today I take care of the mechanical and electrical infrastructure on a college campus. I crop farm around 20 acres for fun, to use my tractors and to say I farm lol!

• Like 6

Did some seasonal jobs like going on the wheat harvest, and hauling cottonseed during the ginning season. Then got a job at a electric co-op first as a equipment operator then as a apprentice lineman. Then started driving a truck OTR for quite a few years. Then in 1990 started hauling crude oil in west Texas, SW Okla. and eastern New Mexico. Then retired in 2015.  And off and on through all those years, l helped friends and family part time on their farms doing different things.

• Like 3

75 years old here---Just started my year 3 as a Widower----most difficult thing I have ever been involved with.  Miss my GIRL  everyday.......We farmed for many years.  Sold off our machinery and got into the rental business.  Duplex-triplex-4 plex-singles-mobiles etc.  Sold all the properties except for 10 individual rural properties that I rent to folks with RV'S.  Have 10 tractors all hooked up to different implements to service the rural lots.  Still driving a sprinter van--hot shot-for a local trucking co.  Been to every state you can drive to--some many times.  Hauled oil tools for Schumbershey  sp. Halliburton and Baker Atlas Hughes.  On year 31--always on call and always part time.....

My wife and I WERE NEIGHBOR KIDS  knew Her for over 65 years...Same rural school-same country church.....You guys who have a wife and she loves you--Be the Best you can be for HER.....

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, lenray said:

My wife and I WERE NEIGHBOR KIDS  knew Her for over 65 years...Same rural school-same country church.....You guys who have a wife and she loves you--Be the Best you can be for HER...

Thank you for sharing.  It will be 30 years for me and mine on the 29th I would be lost without her

12 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

Thank you for sharing.  It will be 30 years for me and mine on the 29th I would be lost without her

36 years , almost 37 for me and my Mrs . We dated for 3 years prior to getting married . Were High School sweethearts . 

Auto mechanic since 1984, worked in dealerships then independent shop for few years, then 2003 went on my own then sold it in 2017. Now I still wrench part time at home, I farm my own 40 acres and work for my brother and his 3 sons who are on the family farm I grew up on, work for a couple guys when they need extra hand too. My biggest claim to fame is I was in top 50 Buick/ GMC mechanics in 1990. I’m very lucky my wife carries the health insurance and have no debt. I too was starving farmers 80s kid and I vowed I wouldn’t be tied to a bank like my dad was, but he made it though. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FARMALL FIXER said:

We dated for 3 years prior to getting married . Were High School sweethearts .

Mett mine while she was here from out of state visiting family. She rode with me working ground and I slammed the cab door on her fingers. Six months later she married me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

just missed 51 years.......................

• Sad 1