time for a different chain saw

pt756

44 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

The 372 is no longer made.  There maybe some NOS available but it has been replaced with the 572.

I run a little of everything.  Mostly red Husqvarnas (jonsered), but they killed those off.  Have a couple of stihls, several echos, and even a Dolmar.

Every manufacturer has hits and misses.  I personally would not spend the time or money on an 029, 290, 291.  They are ok saws, but are heavy, underpowered, and generally a lower quality saw than some of the others mentioned.  Has that platform cut thousands of trees down and fed numerous wood stoves.... Yes.  But just like the tractors we talk about here, there are good ones and then there are better ones.  

That could very well be. Must be a few new ones kickin around because I know they are available around here yet. Or were anyway. Although that is a plenty big saw for this area

21 minutes ago, hardtail said:

That 372XP is a $1200 saw up here, Echo is almost half

All the husky and stihl pro saws are sure expensive. For a everyday saw a guy doesn't mind paying that much if it actually lasts

Over the past 20 years I have used and sworn by Husqvarna XP saws.  They have some of the best power to weight ratios, chain speed,  ergonomics and reliability.   FYI   the first number of a 3 number Husqvarna saw is the generation the second two is it’s cc’s   XP is “extra power”the pro grade.  Currently my favorite saw is a 346XP bought not running and rebuilt. Crank seal, OEM XP piston and cylinder spins a 20” bar n chain no problem.   If I was buying a new saw tomorrow I would be looking at the The 550XP mkII to replace it.  BUT I would have to try the new Stihl MS 550i. Electronically tuned and fuel injected. 

3A6350A6-AEB3-4B3D-BDC8-2108227B47BC.png

50 minutes ago, Edsfarms said:

FYI   the first number of a 3 number Husqvarna saw is the generation the second two is it’s cc’s   XP is “extra power”the pro grade.  Currently my favorite saw is a 346XP bought not running and rebuilt. Crank seal, OEM XP piston and cylinder spins a 20” bar n chain no problem.   If I was buying a new saw tomorrow I would be looking at the The 550XP mkII to replace it.  BUT I would have to try the new Stihl MS 550i. Electronically tuned and fuel injected. 
3A6350A6-AEB3-4B3D-BDC8-2108227B47BC.png

Mostly true on the numbering scheme.  The 346 ne (new edition) was 50.2 cc I believe.   Also the 365xt (not the original 365) was actually 70.7 cc, the same as the 372.  The 390 is 88cc.

I would like to get my hands on a 550 Mkii but I have about half a dozen too many saws already.  

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I keep banging on about the 550xp and 562xp Husqvarna. They are truly outstanding saws. I wont say an echo isn’t good because i have never used one, stihl is a solid choice but come in a little more in cost and i am not seeing the value. Personally i think the 562 is the most versatile it will take up to a 28” bar or as small as 16” its tue large profile bar so it uses 3/8 pitch chain, no ansi chain crap to fight with. I have a second one ordered because i liked the first one so much. 

I have a 562xp and it’s a dream to run. 
Works great for felling, limbing and firewood. 

Matt

11 hours ago, cm228 said:

I have a 562xp and it’s a dream to run. 
Works great for felling, limbing and firewood. 

Matt

I just got word my new one will be here Tuesday! 

21 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

That's what my rebuild kits were and also came from. The 290 i rebuilt 2 years ago and haven't had any issues yet and in the winter it gets used hard. This is the first winter we've had 6 saws. Before that it was 4. Rebuilt a 310 this summer that was given to us free from a neighbor. He loaned it out and someone straight gassed it. Changed the top end to a 390 top end and was good to go. 

13 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

That's what my rebuild kits were and also came from. The 290 i rebuilt 2 years ago and haven't had any issues yet and in the winter it gets used hard. This is the first winter we've had 6 saws. Before that it was 4. Rebuilt a 310 this summer that was given to us free from a neighbor. He loaned it out and someone straight gassed it. Changed the top end to a 390 top end and was good to go. 

Did you change carb and muffler to go with big bore?

36 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

Did you change carb and muffler to go with big bore?

Yes. 

43 minutes ago, hardtail said:

How do you like the repower on it?

Like it. Running a 24 inch bar on it.

2 hours ago, Mudfly said:

You will need to send us (well I'd be interested at least) a report on the new one once you get a few tanks thru it.

will do, I don't expect any performance improvement over the other one, the upgrades were more for longevity and to fix some issues the first gen had. I do want to try a 24" bar on this one.. though I really don't need it. 

no complaints with my ms260 - its been a great saw, expensive lil sucker but i wanted it to last me for rest of my life when i got it. I got it back in 02. Ive never even put a spark plug in it, just take out and clean it. I cut/split around 10 to 15 chord/yr wtih it depending on the year plus misc cutting of things here/there. 

I put a 20" bar on it, max they say in manual is 18. I needed/wanted a lil more reach. 

All its had done to it is a muffler mod. I could use a lil more grun from time to time but it sings nicely. 

8 minutes ago, farmallman77 said:

I've got a 550xp and I am in love with it.  It has a 20 inch bar on it and it rips.   I've ran both huskys and stihls and ill never buy a stihl just don't like the way they cut or run.  

I'm seriously looking at a 372xp.  

Chris 

There are still a few around nice saw, i am waiting a couple years for the 572xp but I'm going to own one

I got a husky ,I like it , never had a stihl ?‍♂️
it got 550xp  18 inch 

starts good , with a strong pull , high compression , sometimes it comes with the pull if I’m not ready ,

high rev saw boy got to where you ear plugs at full throttle , which almost never do cause it cuts so fast. I feather at the notch to hear the tree going over at hinge so I can run away .

also had a oiler pump seize up ,but was covered under warranty ! 
that about it for my husky 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 801486 said:

I had a Stihl that had to go to the shop annually to keep running, finally gave up and bought a bigger heavy duty Echo, liked it so much I bought another smaller lighter one.

I would be curious to know what was needed annually because I have 9 different Stihl chain saws that have never had to go back for anything that I couldn’t resolve on my own and I’m not a small engine repair expert.  

I took one in last year because I could never seam to get the carb settings to stay put and found out it was low on compression so it got a new cylinder and piston . My Stihl go to repair man who is a certified Stihl mechanic says about 95 % of all problems that come into the shop are fuel related . People using pump gas with ethonal or old bad gas. 

I use their premix and never have a fuel related problem . 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

I would be curious to know what was needed annually because I have 9 different Stihl chain saws that have never had to go back for anything that I couldn’t resolve on my own and I’m not a small engine repair expert.  

I took one in last year because I could never seam to get the carb settings to stay put and found out it was low on compression so it got a new cylinder and piston . My Stihl go to repair man who is a certified Stihl mechanic says about 95 % of all problems that come into the shop are fuel related . People using pump gas with ethonal or old bad gas. 

Long before ethanol my dad seized his 042, our local dealer gave him **** for using gas that was more than a couple months old. His argument was that one drop of condensation sucked through would displace the oil in the gas and could lead to damage. Dunno if it is quite so dramatic, but the M swallows a lot of 2 month old  2 stroke. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

It would just never start and I got tired of pulling the rope.  It shouldn't have been the fuel because the cheap McCullough saw I had at the same time always ran on the same stuff.  I had it to at least three different guys, one of which was supposed to be the best around here.   Current problem is it won't run unless at least partially choked and then doesn't run well, have had it to one shop will try one more and then it will get melted down.  The Echo saws just run and so does the old $100 McCullough, it's cut way more wood than the Stihl in the same time frame because it would start.

• Like 1

I have a 576XP, it's a real good saw. I also have a Stihl MS460 Magnum, that is also a very good saw. A friend of mine owns a tree trimming/ removal service and decided to try Efco saws from a dealer that started carrying them here. I don't know what size or anything, but he bought 4 of them. They had issues with his batch right off the get go, constantly needing something for warranty, said he usually only had 2 of his saws at any given time. After quite a few go rounds of this, someone bought them back from him, can't remember if it was the dealer or Efco themselves, which he thought was really great of them to do. I believe it was Efco themselves that bought them back. My buddy went back to his Jonsered saws and said he won't try doing anything like that again.

• Like 1